Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

primer question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: candy blue 85 z28
Engine: 305 tpi LB9
Transmission: 700r4 crazy beefed up one
Axle/Gears: ones with teeth
primer question

so i got my order part any way and they sent me omni epoxy primer. this is my first step from what hok told me.

Is expoxy primer and etch kinda the same thing.

as you know my car is close to bare metal.well might as well be bare metal.

should i get an etch primer first? i can get ppg locally and then put the omni epoxy primer and then the 2k hok primer. hok and ppg products can be used together got that from 3 sources so i know that won't be a problem.

Thanks Jeff

ps the etch would only be needed for the doors back as the front is all new metal that has been skuffed only.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1984 TRANS AM AERO (PAINT SO DEEP
Engine: 305 CARBED
Transmission: 700 R-4/Vette Servo mod
Hey Jeff,
I saw your other post & the car's lookin' great.
Nice choice on colors.
Epoxy and etch are essentially used for the same purpose. Holdout, adhesion, and protection. I am not familiar with the OMNI, but It's probably comparable with PPG's DP epoxys.
These are High quality, tough, durable and produce a vinyl-like coating, used before priming and painting.(some use even before body work.) And are self etching, used over bare metal.
Most metal etch wash primers aren't quite as heavy and may not seem as durable but will provide and excellent protective coating as well as getting that steel prepped for filler. Both are very dangerous to breathe so protect yourself.
If you go with the epoxy... zap all the new sheetmetal too, it'll give you that extra measure. (Especially if you went with A/M metal.)
(DP used to come in a few different colors, including blue, so it makes a great sealer when properly thinned.)
My 84 has about a twelve year old paint job and is holding out great. and I used DP as an undercoat as well as sealer.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: candy blue 85 z28
Engine: 305 tpi LB9
Transmission: 700r4 crazy beefed up one
Axle/Gears: ones with teeth
thanks kevin you seem to have all my answers,

health stuff no problem i got the 3m respirator to use while priming the epoxy. that will do untill the hobby air shows up on thursday, atleast that is what the tracking shows.

so super i will lay the epoxy on when the reducers show up. I can use that on the plastics too i guess? i have bulldog adhesion promoter flex agent to put on before priimer.

oh and i took off all my bondo that was excisting so i can seal it in the primer coats. so after epoxy i will use my filler and then 2k (hok koseal II)

Thanks Jeff