Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

4th gen dash issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
4th gen dash issues

alright, i know there a million topics on here about the 4th gen dash setup, unfortunately there arne't very many being posted about firebirds, nor the questions that i had about the swap.

I've got my dash in, the guages are wired up (although there are still some issues) and i'm curious about one big thing.....with the lighting, what has to be done for the firebird's headlights to pop up? I can't seem to figure that out, and i've tried the wiring problems several times over. Also, the wires i have seem to be different then those in the manuals i've seen, i've got 2 yellow wires, one brown, one white, red, and an orange one, while the other version has only one orange, red, black, brown, gray, and yellow, kinda curious on that one.

Also, i'm not getting dash lights right now, but i'm thinking i know the problem on that one, that is that my security light is on, and third gen's aren't supposed to have a secrity light, so it might be possible that the reason it's on, is because i accidnetly wired my guages power wire (gray) to the security wire (also gray) instead of the dahs lighting wire (they happen to be gray also) hopefully that'll fix that bug, but i'm still trying to work out the rest of this wiring, then i'll worry about getting the car running again. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:01 AM

Car: '91 Firebird
Which year dash are you putting in?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Supreme Member

believe the dash is from a 1996, that's a believe though, would have to re-check at the bone yard.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
Actually in 89 and up they did have a security light it was part of the VATS system. For the firebird headlights there is a relay that has to receive power that pops them up, im not sure which color wire it is but you could trace them and find the one that goes to a relay, its one of the wires that goes to the switch on the bird, the switch is actually two switches the pop up is controlled off the part that does the headlights not the parking lights.

One thing a few years ago when someone tried to steal my car and then took my radio, one of the power wires that goes to the radio got grounded and caused my lights not to go up or on but when I fgured that out and ungrounded it all started working right again. Just something to look out for.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:54 PM
Supreme Member

alright, progress has been made in one area, more to come across later.

Since i've only been testing everything thus far, i'm not putting thing in permentatly (aka soldering) yet... After i have the wiring how i want it, we'll do the perment setup solder + Heat shrink + zipties, just trying to get things working as of now. k, got my blinker working (had it hooked to the low traciton light), have the ABS light on still (gotta fix that) , any one know about the low oil light? need to get it to go off (unless i'm really low on oil, don't think it's more than a quart), and i believe there's one more that's on i've gotta figure and get set. Past that, have dash lighting now (LOOKS AMAZINGLY SWEET!!!!) have center console lighting (IN THE 4TH GEN AUTO CONSOLE!!!! LOOKS SOOOOOOOO NICE ALSO) and the breadwinner MY V6 TACH IS NOW WORKING!!!! ok, only shouting cause that's how freakin happy i was earlier tonight. Neway, on to the problems.

I have my headlight wires hooked up in what i think is the right way, where the two headlight wires (yellow) are going to the same headlight connection. This is somewhat the way they were looking in the haynes manual as i went through it, i do believe that one of those wires goes to the relay for the motors, while the other goes to the lights. Right now, my lights are coming on, just not up. Also, i can hear the relay click open and closed when i turn the switch on....lil' "click" but that's all. If a relay is clicking then it should be working right?

Also, on my old healidhgt setup we always thought there was a problem with the switch (my dad who owned the car previously) you'd have to gently push the headlight switch in, but not all the way, if you pushed it in all the way the lights wouldn't pop up, you'd hold it in just slightly, so the motors would engage, raise the lights, and then push it in the rest of the way. Who thinks that this is my problem? and if ya think so, then what solution would you recommend me doing to solve it? trace down wires, replace the relay? just curious. If that turns out to be the case, i'd be uberhappy as i'd have solved an old car issue and a new one at the same time. If those are working, then the last thing on my extensive list is getting the stupid heater controls working (somewhat) especially my defrost. Does anyone have any idea on the defrost button wiring, or heater wiring in general, if not, i'll buy the damn late model haynes, but if i can get out cheaper all the better. Neway, gotta get solder, and more wire (to extend the wiring) tomorrow, so it's not biggie either way, and i still have multiple cars at the disposal. Thanks for all the help.

Oh, and Aviator, thanks on the Vats stuff. Although i know my 85 isn't equipped with it, and the light is now out, i found out that i had accidnetly run my guage wiring to the security bar and that was causing my problems, however it's not fixed, and my guage lights are finally working as they were originally supposed to. although i do need to work on my dimmer switch, its simply not dimming.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
For the headlights are you sure the motors haven't striped, turn them on and get someone to watch the **** on top of the motor and see if it spins, if it does and doesn't go up you will need to get a rebuild kit from TDS up top. Also try a test light at the relay, electical issues are fun LOL good luck