Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

i need console help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 RS, 1994 Honda Accord LX
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: Automatic
i need console help

I just got a new spring in the mail for the latch on my console lid. I have the spring the plactic latch and then the two halves of the lid...I've been sitting here for hours and can't figure out how it goes abck together...Am I missing something here? Can anyone tell me how it works..it seems so simple...maybe i'm dumb..
Old 06-02-2004, 06:07 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Hello LD1985,

In case someone hasn't already done it, welcome to the board. While I can't exactly give you any specific instructions with out seeing it. I can give you this picture of it and hope it helps you out some.
Attached Thumbnails i need console help-q28.gif  
Old 06-02-2004, 06:11 PM

Car: '91 RS, 1994 Honda Accord LX
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: Automatic
thanks..but i'm talking about the little spring inside of the latch itself
Old 06-02-2004, 07:00 PM
TGO Supporter

Awright, now you wanna get picky with me. Let me go out and take one of my old ones apart and see what they look like.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:54 PM
TGO Supporter

Okay LD1985,

It is a rather straightforward procedure. Take the inside half of the lid, put the plastic latch piece in with the hook in the hole facing forward. Put the spring behind the latch piece, take the outside half of the lid and have it tilted slightly at the front so the covering will go behind the front piece of the inside half. slowly push them together and put the two screws in to hold it together and that's it. Sorry I don't have a picture of it. Should take all of three minutes to do it.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:27 PM

Trickster Please!

Trickster-
You're the superhero with all the right diagrams... and knowledge of course.... :hail:

Would you happen to have a similar layout for an 88 Bird?? I'm having a heck of a time trying to get her back together... when i bought she was in many pieces.. and spare pieces.. now she doesnt want to let me put them together in any order! I'm hoping they're all from this car originally or at least the right year range...

Thanks for any help!!

(p.s. - the pic doesnt do justice to the chaos...)
Attached Thumbnails i need console help-dscn0448.jpg  
Old 06-06-2004, 09:54 PM
TGO Supporter

Hello NjccBflo,

I have some stuff for the 88, anything in particular that you need.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:13 PM

thanks

i feel like such an *#@ but in particular -
i drpped in the radio/hvac console (have two slightly different) but it wont square up to the mounting holes and with the hvac in it the thing lists badly to driver side.
the center console (have 3) will not drop in far enough to bolt to the bracket at the back of the shifter for anything.
Trying to get turn signal/wiper arm into steering column is a no go.
not sure if all the chassis to pull down motor equip all there... just doesnt fit.
have two dashes, one from transam one from coupe, believe the transam one is in the car (which is coupe) and thinking that the necessary relays, wiring not there.

Sounds pretty sad but over the past week i've gotten most everything else done, just cant finish up... going nuts.

I do appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Hey, maybe I can help with this. First, the radio pod HAS to go in BEFORE the console can be put in otherwise you end up with a broken pod . Insert the HVAC controls through the pod but do not bolt them up. Pull the radio wiring also into the pod. There may or may not be a bracket way in the back of the pod with a single bolt in it, which gets aligned with a hole on the passenger side of the radio support bar (the thing sticking out of the middle back of the pod. You also have to make sure you align the heater vents up properly before you shove the radio pod into position. There are two sheetmetal 10m (head size) bolts that go through holes in the upper mounting bracket for the pod, and a 10mm nut that is inside the pod. also check to see that neither pod is broken in any way because that can also throw off the alignment.
As for the console, the front end has to be dropped in first. If your front seat belts do not have the plastic receiver pieces (the things that hold the buckles upright when the belts aren't buckled) then you may have to fiddle with a way for the buckles to be held out of the way. The console may or may not be correct depending on if the shifter has been replaced or not. When I first bought my 87 last year the console was loose in its mountings because it was missing the front bolt that you are having problems with and the rear bolts had stripped out the holes.

Dash/pad: These are identical in nearly every way except for the map pocket thing, which is specially marked for TA's. The dash pads are identical unless you have one from a Camaro, in which case, the mounts are different and the speaker grilles cannot be removed (if you have an aftermarket stereo installed by a third party, make sure they know this so they don't screw it up!).

If you can't figure it out, I live less than half an hour from your place (via the thruway) and have nothing to do for the next couple of months, so you can drop by and we can figure the stuff out- I just had to fix the same stuff as you did a couple of weeks ago, and I could use the spare radio pod you have because mine's broke.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:37 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
i didnt even know we had a spring in our center console...im gonna go check that out...obviously mine doesnt work haha.