Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

what kind of paint to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 12:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of paint to use?

Ok i am starting off with ym first car painting endevour...what paint is a good paint to use for a beginer? I am wanting a nice white, maybe Arctic White on a 92 Camaro RS...

i have heard some brands and types of paint are more forgiving for novices than others and I would like to give it a shot....thanks,
Old 05-30-2004, 12:07 PM

Well... I'm hardly a body-pro, but I'll share what I've gathered...

Your best bet is a one-step finish, since clear-coating can only be done right with a specific nozzle size. PPG is the all-around best one-step finish for beginners. As for priming, I'd just sand off the gloss from the old paint, and put a primer/sealer on it.

The most important part of the finish is surface prep. Sand everything smooth, and using some premium filler and a wide spreader, just smooth it across the whole body to fill up all the little imperfections. Sand it some again, and then use the sealer.

Be sure to buy plenty of sandpaper if you want a smooth finish... you'll need it.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird convertible
Engine: LQ4 ls 6.0
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 342 Limited slip
PPG single stage concept would be a good way to go and white is a good color for a beginner
Old 06-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: candy blue 85 z28
Engine: 305 tpi LB9
Transmission: 700r4 crazy beefed up one
Axle/Gears: ones with teeth
i am a beginner painter and i am shooting for the stars. i am using house of kolor oriental blue candy 3 stage paint.

one problem with one step hard to fix an ooopps, with bc/cc base clear if ya get a bugger in the base you can sand and fix before clear and if you have some ripples or eyes i belive those can also be fixed before clear.

so this is what i have been reading i'll let ya know in July when on my 2 week vacation i shoot the car.

i hope is isn't one of those aww what went wrong posts......

Jeff
Old 06-03-2004, 04:28 AM
Banned

excellent and i appriciate the info PPG looks like what ill go with...and i think single stage will be fine....not too sure...if I get an OOPS wiht a single stage I can jsut sand what I have already done and spray on top of it correct?? if this is the case then excellnt I will go with it for sure!!! but if Ill have to totally redo the prep work I might wanna re think and possibly make an attempt with a 2 stage....

and I was thinking white would be fairly easy color to go with, however I saw a van the other day <cough> ford <cough> and I dunno...i didnt like the way the paint looked on it..its possible htat it was cheep paint as the job was also cheep becuase I as a novice could see overspray on all the glass and moldings....

looks like I got a bunch more reading to do so that I can get this project on the road....I have 4 main problems remaining on my car...1)needs headliner 2)paint/body 3)header gasket problem 4)possible cylender misfire/skip, but could also be due to the header leak i think/hope

umm next thing is with coating....if I lets say do a bunch of barely visible layers...will it turn out better than if I do a few decent layers? as in for the first coat barely have it cover the surface and work form there versus cover the surface, not thick/runny and what not but jsut good and covered
Old 06-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 camaro Z28
Engine: 434sbc
Transmission: powerglide
Axle/Gears: moser 9" with 411 posi
ppg is good. so is duponts chromo-priemer paint line. if you feel comfortable with base/clear, then i would do that. white can be alittle tricky to paint. i think you will do fine.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird convertible
Engine: LQ4 ls 6.0
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 342 Limited slip
Originally posted by JeffW
i am a beginner painter and i am shooting for the stars. i am using house of kolor oriental blue candy 3 stage paint.

one problem with one step hard to fix an ooopps, with bc/cc base clear if ya get a bugger in the base you can sand and fix before clear and if you have some ripples or eyes i belive those can also be fixed before clear.

so this is what i have been reading i'll let ya know in July when on my 2 week vacation i shoot the car.

i hope is isn't one of those aww what went wrong posts......

Jeff
Kandy paints are the hardest paints to spray the ground coat is easy but when you get to the kandy if your gun or air pressure or know how is not right then the 2nd layer kandy will not be even and you WILL have streaks and spots witch will take you back to square one
Old 06-05-2004, 02:27 AM
Banned

yea candy or any of those "specialty" type paint jobs is not something ment for a beginner...Im even slightly hesitant about doing a 2 step...but I dunno which I am going to do...Prolly One Step PPG will be the way I go first...I mean I can always reshoot it if I want a 2 step....or anythingelse later on...

Now I gotta save up for body parts and PVC Piping to make my paintbooth....