Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

interior nearly done (86 TA)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Engine: 2.3 DISI Turbo
Transmission: 6 speed MT
interior nearly done (86 TA)

Dyed all black with newly recovered seats (Hawks Hampton vinyl, Ebony outer, perforated titainium inner). Dyed carpet too. Previous color was light gray.

Door Panel being dyed.

Almost done

Another almost done

Only thing left is the kick panels (fiberglassed in custom speaker pods) and the rest of the amps/subs/etc. Just FYI, don't use vinyl dye on the plastic parts, it flakes off... ask me how I know... I'll be redoing some plastic in the very near future I'm afraid...
Old 05-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Banned

Car: Trans am
the seats arent too bad, i like em , but i dont like how they fit, maybe once you get your *** in them for a few hours the stuff will fit a little better. Ive always like a black interior on cars.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Supreme Member

I didn't like the fit either, and this after trying to tighten every seam by wrapping the ends of the fabric and fumbling the hog ring pliers to death. Usually, you have to set new coverings in the sun to make them expandable over the seats... these things slipped on like they were almost meant to fit over the old coverings... though then you wouldn't have access to many of the wires to hold down the inner portions of the bucket... Little bit disappointed at this point. If it doesn't get any better with some heat and some good **** time, the disappointment will continue...
Old 05-16-2004, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
i would have built up the seats with some new foam to make them fit tighter, that's usually what an interior shop will do if they look as loose as yours does
Old 06-03-2004, 06:59 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: auto
yea, those definitely look loose. besides that, they look pretty nice. i'm thinking about getting some covers like that so i'd like to know.. how much did that set cost?
Old 06-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Supreme Member

Well, the seats did settle down a little bit after a few hot days. Not as wrinkled as they were... Anyway, the Hawks stuff was on a bit of a sale... Hampton Vinyl, plus two tone option, came to $359, but I can't remember if that included shipping or not though. I talked to B.J. there (she has a sexy voice) if you want to try to push them for the same deal if it's not on their website.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:07 PM

Car: 86 "Ram Air" IROC
Engine: 305 5.Slow
Transmission: 700R4
what dyes did u use and where did you get them? i painted my interior black with plastic paint but its not that great, scratches real easy...I'll eventually have to sand it down and dye it or opt for buying a black interior some where.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by irocz eric
what dyes did u use and where did you get them? i painted my interior black with plastic paint but its not that great, scratches real easy...I'll eventually have to sand it down and dye it or opt for buying a black interior some where.
I used the Duplicolor vinyl dye for the vinyl and plastic. Do NOT use this stuff on plastic. I grabbed the Duplicolor stuff because the auto parts store didn't have enough of the Marhyde brand that does both plastic and vinyl. I didn't read the cans and thought they were the same type of stuff. They aren't. This stuff blows off with a good sneeze... I guess that will come in handy when I have to strip it to be painted with something that will bond with the plastic.

For the center console, door panels, and carpeting though, this Duplicolor worked very fine. I won't be buying it again though.

Which "plastic" paint did you use? The new Krylon stuff that's supposed to bond to plastic on a melecular level?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:00 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.42
yea for some reason my plastic that i painted in my car with krylon fusion didnt work to well either it scratches off easy it got scratched up from re installing it. maybe i just didnt prep the surface enough but it didnt hold like others say it does
Old 06-04-2004, 09:32 PM

Car: 86 "Ram Air" IROC
Engine: 305 5.Slow
Transmission: 700R4
ya i used krylon fusion, how much of this dye did it take for ur door panels, thats all i would need it for since i've put black carpet in my car already...
Old 06-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Supreme Member

I would run two cans just to be sure you had enough for the door panels. Especially if you have the cloth inserts since the cloth soaks it in pretty quickly.

Originally posted by ll-84camaro-ll
yea for some reason my plastic that i painted in my car with krylon fusion didnt work to well either it scratches off easy it got scratched up from re installing it. maybe i just didnt prep the surface enough but it didnt hold like others say it does
I prepped using dish soap and a brush, then a products called Prepsall, which works almost as well as a mineral spirit, but is safe for plastics. Gotta get those years of Armor All off of there! I'll be giving the Fusion stuff a try I think...

Last edited by bnoon; 06-05-2004 at 10:45 AM.