Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

air requirements

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air requirements

I have a small air compressor to use to paint my car with...I was wondering if anyone had ever added additional air tanks to their compressor to increase the cfm to meet the cfm requirements of a Devillbiss hvlp highline III spray gun if so how did it work out for you. I sure hate the thought of having to rent a bigger compressor for the week to paint my car... I think the current rating of my compressor is like 5cfm @ 40 psi..if this helps thank for all constructive replies
Old 04-18-2004, 11:21 PM

What a bizarre question - I've been wondering the same thing. Where would you get another tank? My compressor has a little higher CFM, but the tank is still smallish. I had thought about renting/borrowing another medium size compressor and splicing the hoses together. I don't want to run an HVLP, just want a little more reserve for a conventional gravity feed. Eager to hear if anyone has done this.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:23 PM

those air tanks used to store air for flat tires

might work well is what I was thinking even an old propane tank that had been purged really well might work too

anyone who thinks this might work feel free to add your thoughts
Old 04-19-2004, 12:45 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
I don't think it would increase the cfm, just make for extra tank capacity and would be harder for the already undersized pump to fill yet another tank aside from the primary.
Usually (just what I've seen), two (working) air compressors are joined at the outgoing airline to get the desire effect you're looking for.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:58 AM

ok here is my thoughts on this increase my tank capaicty to 30 gallons with additional tanks allow the compressor to fill the tanks with its max psi of 125 hook my spray gun up and regulate the psi to 23 psi at the gun and not the tank leave the tank at 125 as the psi drops the compressor will cycle....with the increased volume generated and stored in the tanks might be sufficient to allow me to continue to work without stopping

Deadbird my thoughts are that it should increase cfm but not psi...at the guns operating pressure being so slow...one would think that the compressor with increased cfm would be able to keep up.....any other thoughts welcome here
Old 04-21-2004, 02:03 PM

How about ganging together two compressors instead? Local tool places rent small compressors. Most are wheel barrow style and have small tanks (2x4 gallon hotdog style tanks) and run on gas. They are continous duty and put out over 12cfm. You aren't getting much in tank size, but combined with your compressor should be able to run an air hog HVLP gun. Prices in my area are about $35 a day. You just need to make provisions for drying the air and a way to splice two compressor hoses together.

I think that the extra 5 gallons or so that you get from an extra small tank won't make much difference. Another way to skin a cat.