Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

What are the causes for clearcoat peeling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the causes for clearcoat peeling?

Hi, I've got a '91 Camaro Z28 with black clearcoat base coat paint. It was repainted a year and a half ago and the driver's side edge of the top of the car is start to peel away. What could have caused that? Is it also true that waxes are abrasive rather than mild for paint? Any responses related to this question would greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Its a GM thing, a GM thing, a GM thing.

I think its part due to heat & thin metal that gets really hot n shrinks n expands and the clear coat is the first thing to suffer if not applied like a $10,000 show car. Paint is put on in layers and they can move independent of each other if not bonded right. Which seam to be a GM thing, especially black cars outdoors 365.

Id stick to one shot paints. You still get 4-5 years of nice looking paint and by then its time for a new look. Or you already sold it.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:43 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 182 Likes on 134 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
He said the car was repainted 1.5 years ago. Read the posts people

Did you have the paint done or was it done before you got the car? It's possible that it was a cheap job done with cheap materials just to make it look good enough to sell. If you had it done and paid decent $$, I'd take it back to the paint shop.

I'm not saying that this is a Maaco paint job cuz I don't know, but this is why people say stay away from those shops. They might look ok today, but the paint doesn't last.

The wax was not your problem. Most waxes have a mild abrasive in them to remove slight oxidation. The oxidation would occur on the older paint, not clear coated paint. The abrasive would remove the oxidation and swirl marks and the wax would shine it up. It would take about 30 years of waxing regularly for you to start seeing thru the paint to the primer. That's on the old paint finish. It could take longer with a base/clear solution.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
I know that he said it was done 1.5 years ago. I can read.
Go have some coffee n relax.

Its still a GM thing as they seamed cursed when it comes to clear. stock or re-done.

Unless its done right, high dollar products with proper prep.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:09 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 182 Likes on 134 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
If it was repainted, how is it a GM problem? Figure it out and relax yourself.

There are many people in this world that have a GM product that has been repainted and they are fine. Your comment that it's a GM thing doesn't hold water at this point.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: TBI 5.7L v8
Transmission: Modified T-5
It's probably cheaper paints or a bad job to begin with.

I bought an '89 Pulsar as my winter car last May. During the summer, when the Bird was having some work done to it, I took the t-tops of the Pulsar, and put it in the trunk storage space for the day. When I took them out again, they had turned from red, to pink. After the first light snow we had, the clear coat on my hood started pealing like mad.
I have a feeling the previous owner just gave it a cheap paint job to make it look good enough to sell.

If you had the paint job done yourself, and paid good $$ to have it done, I'd take it back to the shop and let them see it. Maybe soemone didn't apply the paint right where it's peeling.

If the previous owner had the paint job done, then maybe, like others have said, it was just done to make the car look nicer and sell easier.