Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

People who have done a 4th Gen Dash Swap...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: TBI 5.7L v8
Transmission: Modified T-5
People who have done a 4th Gen Dash Swap...

I think I've pretty much read everything in this section I could find about the swap. I've noticed people have a problem with the AC/heater hooking up.

Is it simply because you don't want to run the tubing? Or can it not be done? Do you need a new heater core or anything like that?

I've also noticed some people talking about getting a 4th gen firewall to make the AC work... Is this true? Or is there a way to hook it up otherwise? Like, couldn't you splice the wires and somehow hook it up to the current wires for the AC? (I haven't really checked the wiring out in detail yet, so I have no clue if that's even possible...)

And what is the best (from experience) converter to make the speedo/tach work right? I've seen a bunch named, and was just curious from people who have used it for awhile now, what you're the most happy with.

Thank You in advance!! :hail:
Old 04-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
I am using a complete 4th gen drivetrain and dash with cluster and PCM so my gauges should all work with no modifications.
I wasn't planning on having any climate controls in the car since it's only going to be a good weather car.

I was thinking of getting a MOTEC setup and putting in the dash,
Old 04-05-2004, 10:37 PM

Car: '91 Firebird
I think the main problem with the HVAC is the AC being a lot different between the thirdgens and fourthgens.

I hope to be getting around to that part of the swap this weekend. I think I'm going to be hacking up the thirdgen and fourth gen airbox because I want all my vents functional.

Someone on here posted a pic of their car with some plastic tubing to connect vents, too.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:42 PM

Oh, as for the speedometer. The best (and only) one I've heard about is the Dakota Digital box. I believe you only need it if you run a cable speedo or have a TBI car. otherwise a 4th gen speedo will work with any MPFI or TPI because they run at 4000ppm.

I really don't know about the tachometer. I think Dakota Digital makes a box for that too. I'm putting a 95z cluster in my 91 3.1L, but I also have a 95 v6 cluster as well. I'm hoping the v6 tach will work with my car.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: GM & Jaguar
Engine: Various
Transmission: Various
Axle/Gears: Various
The plug for the blower controls are the same and plug directly in. The vacuum lines can be rerouted, the problem is the cable, however can be modified as well. As far as the instruments work, a lot of people have different experiences based on the cluster they have, and the car it's going in. I'm just going to wire it up as is and get a Dakota Box if needed. As far as the HVAC goes, I'm still not sure, for the time being I think I will have the 3rd gen controls hidden in the glovebox since I'm using the factory location for custom gauges, and this way it's sure to work. We'll see I guess...
Old 04-05-2004, 11:56 PM

Tpiroc, the blower motor harness plugs directly into my 4th gen hvac controls, but it won't do anything. I guess they're not the same for all models.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:29 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: TBI 5.7L v8
Transmission: Modified T-5
Actually... now that tpiroc mentioned locating the old HVAC controls in the glove box... I was thinking... why not have a custom box made and put them in the center console somehow? Then they're more accessable, if need be. I personally don't use my console for much, and keep everything I need in the glove box (or pouch as of now). The only thing I use my console for now is for a cupholder, since my door cupholders broke off

Just my suggestion...

And faded... if you get it to work, I'd definatly be interested in seeing. I'd like the most clean install possible, but I need air conditioning!! So if I have to work up some kinda crazy install for the old HVAC, then I will do what I have to, lol.

I do have a TBI 5.7L, so it looks like I'll need the dakota digital box.

Thanks everyone!!