Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Are You All Ready For Some New Pics?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 pontiac firebird formula
Engine: Currently building a 355
Transmission: 700r4
thanx tobias05

i appreciate the comments. keep the comments coming good bad or otherwise.

thomas
Old 03-31-2004, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: L98 350 bore .060 out, Carb power
Transmission: slusher 700 beatbox
no i didnt post that to be crude, i was just saying ill post up a pic when i get a chance of a spoiler i have, thats all
Old 03-31-2004, 08:11 PM

kontrax

no hard feelings man just wanted to be sure this thread didnt get into a pissing contest like some of the ones ive seen. i would love to see the spoiler you have not sure if ive ever seen 1 before. and like i said before all comments ARE welcome good bad or otherwise and i sincerely mean that to all of you.

thomas
Old 04-01-2004, 07:47 AM
Banned

no prob man, not everyone likes the same thing and theres no point in fighting over someone elses car. after all it IS their car i really like how your doing it all yourself. i admire people who do everything them selves and dont pay others to do it.

BTW your exaust looks hurt, a new one in the works?
Old 04-01-2004, 06:44 PM

kontrax

i appreciate not thinking i was being rude (cuz i wasnt) . now onto the exhaust i had to fab something up from the scrap pile we have at my father in laws salvage yard which is right next to where i live(g0d im lucky) :hail: because we have a church that is only about 200 yards away and when i was working on the body i was having to do it mainly outside of the shop and when i went to move it around i had open headers on it was extremely loud and we were getting complaints about it lol so i just put that on until i get it back on the road and then i plan on taking it to an exhaust shop my FIL goes to alot and have 1 done up right. im also plannin on running these tips tell me what you think (any suggestions also welcome) i think they go with the lines of the whole car spoiler and everything. heres the pic kinda small.
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Banned

i dont like how they curve up like that, reminds me of hondas. if you want tips like that go with some slp's. those are nice tips. im going with a flat design or a stock looking hideaway. spintech makes a nice system with a single out and it looks like a stock alloy turn down pipe. little would people know its actually a 3.5 inch pipe thats gonna bellow like hell. mufflex makes some nice tips too, stainless steel. they run about 80 bucks off their site
Old 04-02-2004, 11:19 AM

kontrax

i have true duals also not sure if the pic shows it good or not ,but im still undecided on which tips to go with. do you have any pics of the ones your talking about? if so shoot them my way.

thomas
Old 04-02-2004, 01:52 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: 305 sm block chevy
This may be slightly off topic but does the Notch window fog up?

By the way nice looking car!
Old 04-02-2004, 04:18 PM

Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
I really like the direction you're going with your car, and like stated above, I really like the fact it is all your own doing. DIY is very satisfying. Can't wait to see the black when it is fully polished to a gleeming shine. The only advice I can offer is to polish those wheels if you plan on keeping them. IMO nothing looks better (and meaner) than chrome or polished aluminum wheels on a black third gen. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:47 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 LB9
Transmission: 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Posi BW 9 Bolt
Car looks good but the hood isnt seated evenly other than that its real different.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:31 PM

Car: 87 formie
Engine: none
Transmission: none
:-\

sorry, not really diggin it.

1. SS hood on a bird? bad looking IMO
2. You cut those slots on your bumper for your exhaust? maybe you should make your mufflers a little more straight...
3. the wing.... just, no. i dont think it looks right at all.
4. 91+ gfx... like the wing, i dont think they flow well with the car at all.
5. the tips you want to buy... i think they are r!cey but maybe thats just me.
6. the wheels... eh, im impartial, not my cup of tea but not horrible.

what do i like about the car?

the dust gives it a mad max look. straighten up your mufflers, get some nice straight slant cut tips and i think itd be ok looking. i mean, i think itd be way better losing the hood, wing, and gfx but thats your choice
Old 04-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1
Originally posted by posbird87
:-\

sorry, not really diggin it.

1. SS hood on a bird? bad looking IMO
2. You cut those slots on your bumper for your exhaust? maybe you should make your mufflers a little more straight...
3. the wing.... just, no. i dont think it looks right at all.
4. 91+ gfx... like the wing, i dont think they flow well with the car at all.
5. the tips you want to buy... i think they are r!cey but maybe thats just me.
6. the wheels... eh, im impartial, not my cup of tea but not horrible.

what do i like about the car?

the dust gives it a mad max look. straighten up your mufflers, get some nice straight slant cut tips and i think itd be ok looking. i mean, i think itd be way better losing the hood, wing, and gfx but thats your choice
We should get a "hit it on the nose" Smily!! I dont dislike the car, but its not my style. The hood and wing are probably the least liked thing on the car to me. I noticed on yer site that you have IROCwheels at one point. Why not go back to those?
Old 04-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears
I have to disagree with some of you. it's different, but the more I look at it the more I like it! I think the SS hood you created looks really smooth. I'd probably change the rims and agree about the angle-cut tips but othewise I think it's original and it looks mean. And when you do something different, this is what you get... some love it, some like it, some dislike it, and some hate it. But everyone remembers it.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:42 PM

guys

i appreciate the comments from everyone 87gta, thanx for looking at it like that i have really put a lot of work into this car,and if some people dont like it thats fine with me because as its been said before its mine and im the 1 that puts the time and money into it not anyone else. as far as posbird well lets just say if your not diffing it oh well that hood isnt a ss hood also its a scoop off of a 2nd gen camaro AND I BUILT IT ,but anyway, i really couldnt have worded it any better than jeremy did "some love it, some like it, some dislike it, and some hate it. But everyone remembers it". and dante as far as the IROC wheels is concerned i like them on an iroc but its not and if i could get my hands on a set of 17's maybe i would put them on there but i really dont like them on anything but a IROC just my opinion just like everyone that posted has their own opinions. so thats my $.02!!!!

thomas

Last edited by firebird89355; 04-03-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:52 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: TBI 5.7L v8
Transmission: Modified T-5
Not bad! I like the notch-back look. I'd never be able to do it to mine though... lol. The wing is just a little bit too big for my tastes, but overall goes good with the flow of car (having the notch-back helps that x1000!).
Overall... good looking car. Different look. Good work!!!
Old 04-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Banned

i used to think getting a notch was impossible too, but i know a place where you can buy them. hell i have an extra just sitting in the gurage
Old 04-06-2004, 08:24 AM

thanx f-body

sorry i havent responded for a few days ive been recovering from a extremely bad sunburn so i havent been able to do just about anything to my car or otherwise hopefully tomorrow ill be able to start on my wetsanding and getting it to shine the way its supposed to and ill get some more pics up on my website. later guys,

thomas
Old 04-06-2004, 10:28 PM
3gc

Car: Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Keep us updated on the wet sanding because mine dosn't have the shine I want and i'm interested in seeing how much wet sanding increases the reflectiveness.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:03 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
3gc, your paint looks really good for not having wetsanded it. I would think wetsanding is pretty much necessary for a really good shine whenever you paint.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:36 PM
3gc

Ok, good. I was worried i sprayed it too dry or something.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:19 AM

Car: 1990 Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
keep up the good work
Old 04-07-2004, 03:13 PM

3gc

in my research and according to my father in law (been doing it a long time) anytime you paint anything you need to wetsand it and buff it to get it gleaming the way it should be then you can stand back and be blinded by the shine. just what ive been told. i started wetsanding it today and man i can definately tell a difference in the way it looks kinda dull right now but a lot smoother than when i buff it out it should have alot better shine to it.

thomas
Old 04-07-2004, 08:14 PM

Car: 1985 Firebird
Engine: 350
Re: benoit

Originally posted by firebird89355
actually i went ahead and went with ppg omni acrylic enamel it was cheaper and didnt have to buy expensive equipment like a 200 bux water trap and other stuff any way ill prolly wait at least a couple of weeks and then start sanding buffing and waxing mine.
lol sorry but a $200 dollor water trap better be gold plated and come with a blowup doll or something man no matter what you use to paint you should allways have a water trap even a cheep 3 dollor inline befor the gun is enough but you can buy a a water trap with regulator for 30 dollors out of northern tools we have one on all our lines watter is a bad thing expecialy when it drips out the paint gun
Old 04-07-2004, 08:20 PM

if you are good at paint use a paint booth and are in the zone then you wouldnt have to wetsand if you need to wetsand to get a decant shine that would meen you are spraying it too dry but sometimes its better to spray dry then spray a run if you know what i meen by the way im painting my car tomorrow
Old 04-07-2004, 09:20 PM

maverick

200 bux was just an expression and YES i do have a water trap but not a good enough 1 from what ive been told for bc/cc so thats why i went with acrylic enamel and this is only the second time i sprayed a car so i had very slight orange peel hence wetsanding not just the shine thing. this was a learning experience for me and im also considering going to school for collision repair and if i do than im gonna use my car as a guinea pig for class and use all the latest equipment and paint booth then it will get the best bc/cc system i can get ,completely stripping it and everything.

thomas
Old 04-08-2004, 09:28 AM

yeah as far as a good enough one as long as it traps the water and oil and your line is at least 25 foot from the compessor it would have worked fine for bc/cc sounds like you really enjoy bodywork!!! me the only part i really care for is spraying its easy and fun when you decide to use bc/cc system the best paint on the market is made by RM its called Glazerith that paint is the easyest to spray and if you cant make it look good then you cant paint allso it will shine for many many many years without wax heres a picture of what it looks like 8 years after being painted on a car and take note this car has never been waxed or buffed or wetsanded
Attached Thumbnails Are You All Ready For Some New Pics?-joechevelle.jpg  
Old 04-08-2004, 09:36 AM

Car: 86 camaro
Engine: 2.8 multiport cross fire injection
Transmission: 5 speed
No matter who you are, how you paint, or what you paint, the paint has slight wavy orange peel effect to it and or some lil specs or dirt and what not. If you want a showrom show car quality shine you wet sand and buff thomas and everyone else who said they thought any paint job to really shine needs wet sanding and buffing. If you disagree watch american hot rod, their junkyard dog project like the 3rd. or 4th. episode of it and listen to charlie their painter. He explains it in plane detail same thing I've said and you people might think I'm stupid or don't know but hey that guy does it for a living and builds nothing but show cars and they have to be perfect.
So what does that tell you?
Old 04-08-2004, 11:43 AM

yeah it might have slight orange peel in the paint but keep this in mind if you wet sand a car you will lose some of the shine and i have seen cars come out of a paintbooth as smooth as glass personally but like i said prior you have to be in the "ZONE" to be able to do it you can control orage peel when you paint if you know what you are looking for but im not gonna start a flame on this it was just my own 2 cents worth you know but i have seen it done and most the time you try to match the orage peel of factory paint when you do spot repair but basically the smoothness of the paint and collor all depends on your body work and prep along with how well the sealer layed out
well im off this tread now take care guys and you cars going to look great when you get done love the hood hopefully i will get mine in the paint booth today its all jamed up and ready to go just wainting for the right day now :rockon:
Old 04-08-2004, 08:11 PM

True man I agree w/ you I wasn't trying to flame it's just sure you can lay out a great shiny paint job way I see it if you can't then you can't paint. It will have slight orange peel even if you can't se it. I couldn't on mine but when I started sanding omg it was bad I could feel it I really had to cut it down to make it smooth. Yea you do cut down on shine it looks horrible when you wet sand it makes you want to cry for thinking you ruined a nice paint job by sanding it and dulling it up. I had shine and I had dirt specs so I took thoose out and the orange peel and w/ just medium grade rubbing compound I had a smoother, flatter, More glossy finish then after the paint dried it was a ton better gloss and shine. It was good before but now it's great. I also done machine polish after it and that helped clean the exess compund off and clean it up nice and all. I can now take a rag and barely toss it and it will hit the pass. side of the hood and fly straight off the drivers side.
Put it this way a fly would break his wings prolly landing on it cuz he'd slide off lmao.
j/k I don't think its that good but the rag does as I said and not throwing either just laying it down really a slight toss sideways and bam slides the same speed all the way acros til she falls off.
I'd tell anyone to buff there car but man you gotta know how to and what your doing else you'll go through it unless you get a crappy walmart orbital bufffer. If you got a good one you'll go through if you don't watch. You mainly gotta stay away fomr shrap edges and corners that's the easiest to burn through.
ok enough highjacking and buffing 101.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:52 PM

lol yeah so did you finally get yours painted man i know i said earlyer that mine was hopefully getting paint tonight but it is for sure tomorrow i cant wait to see the brown bird turned colors:hail: but yeah ive seen orange peel so barly there that even with wetsanding with 1200 only picked up maybe 3 spots in the whole job my freind jeff painted that car and he is the one who is helping me out on mine but then again he has been painting professionally for the last 30 and then some years in califorina in a high dollor shop he has really nice equipment and knows all there is to know about painting hes a cool guy but man i hope you all are ready for my pics when i get it done
Old 04-08-2004, 09:44 PM

Yea finally got mine done.
Been painted for over 2 weeks but we had nice weather painted it, then crap weather so did nothing just let paint dry then nice weather wet sanded yesterday and done some compunding then today finished the compound and polished the top and hood and front bumper gotta do the rest later. Finally got my 35 mm developed so I'm hoping this weekend I'll get to my moms house and use her scanner and update my site and my sig.
Don't have too many on the rool I got back of the painted car but going to get more and updated interior ones as well on my new rool I started taking
Old 04-09-2004, 01:56 AM

Nice...

Still looking for compliments? Nice car. I like the wheels. I do however agree with 86GTArunner, polish the wheels and get stainless exhaust! Borla has some stainless mufflers for corvettes that would look awesome on that car.
Great job (especially the DIY). Any custom interior work in your future?

Jared
84'fxrupr
Old 04-09-2004, 12:30 PM

thanx guys

ive been working alot of hours last few days so i havent got to respond ,CHRIS hurry up and get the film developed i wanna see it already lmao. and jared thanx havent had much time to do little stuff like polish the wheels fix the exhaust etc. however affording stainless is not in the budget i would like them but cant afford it. and yes im planning on putting in 4th gen seats and center console and maybe doing some cutom led's for my dash lights but thats in the future im just trying to concentrate on the paint (finishing) and getting it mechanically sound again its been about 1 year 4 months since i last drove the car so i need to get it going then finish it as i go.

thomas
Old 04-09-2004, 02:43 PM

Calm down man I got mine developed w/ the fresh paint laid on gotta scan em going to work on that tonight or tomorrow when i go up to my mothers house and use her scanner.
Won't get the newest ones back for a few weeks though because I just started taking them the other day.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:25 PM

well

i got to start wetsanding my car on thursday and i can already tell the difference in the smoothness of the paint,if it will ever quit raining here been raining last 3 days i might be able to get most of it done then i can post pics of what i have completed, also bought a cheap 7 inch orbital buffer and my next stop is to get the 3m finesse-it II p/n 05928 rubbing compund so when i get finished with the wetsanding i can start buffing and bring it to a high luster than im gonna use 3m imperial microfinishing compund liquid p/n 06011 then i should be finished with the body work officially. ill post pics as soon as i can.

thomas
Old 04-11-2004, 09:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Can't wait to see that hood polished; it should look great. And from what I've been able to look up, that hood is a mid-second gen Z-28 scoop, not an SS scoop as some have mentioned.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:50 PM

yes cayse

thats the same scoop that was on the 78 and 79 z28 models ive never seen that hood on a bird before and i thought i would be the first. i know being a camaro scoop im gonna catch a lotta flack for it but i dont care as it really flows with the hood and body lines in my opinion and although i havent got to drive it yet after putting it on i have to think it will keep engine temps down and help the performance somewhat especially after i switch engines either late this year or early next year.

thomas
Old 04-12-2004, 05:35 PM

well h@ll

rain rain go away come again another day cuz i cant get a damn thing done on my car until you go away. this weather is absolute
Old 04-15-2004, 06:57 PM

here we are

this is what happens when you wetsand and buff correctly :hail: :hail: :hail: lord have mercy you have no idea how happy this makes havent completed whole car but this is what it will look like when im done with it.
Attached Thumbnails Are You All Ready For Some New Pics?-thomascarpics-003.jpg  
Old 04-15-2004, 06:58 PM

and this

Old 04-15-2004, 07:01 PM

oops

heres the pic
Attached Thumbnails Are You All Ready For Some New Pics?-thomascarpics-001.jpg  
Old 04-15-2004, 07:42 PM
3gc

Nice, that gives me something to look foward to. Do you have a close up picture of what it looked like before you wet sanded and buffed? It looks like it's really hard to keep your car clean in that area.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:55 PM

well i did

but someone was nice enough to send me a virus that wiped out every single picture i had of all you guys rides all my progress pics EVERYTHING im so pissed right now its driving me crazy. anyway sorry had to vent. but you can look at my domain page im sure theres a couple of close ups on there hope that helps.

thomas

www.cardomain.com/id/firebird89355 look on page 2
Old 04-15-2004, 08:05 PM
3gc

Oh, sorry to hear about that. Atleast you have what's on your car domain site. Looks a lot better wet sanded. Can't wait to see the whole thing done. Are the specs in those pictures in the paint or just dirt that got on the paint?
Old 04-15-2004, 08:40 PM

well

it was slight orange peel i had in the paint thats the only reason i wetsanded and buffed it actually im glad i had orange peel cause just look at the way it is now :rockon: :lala:
Old 04-15-2004, 10:57 PM
TGO Supporter

I would say it's also time to replace that weatherstripping. Damn nice polishing job though.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:04 AM

yes cayse

i have to agree and that will come in the near future and thatnx for the compliments.

thomas
Old 04-16-2004, 08:24 AM

Think his is bad mines half mising and tore all to pieces lmao. Tape wouldn't stick to it so we painted them as wel helped em out alot.
New strips are coming soon though I can't stand them ugly torn up ones.
My buffing on my silver camaro looks like his accept being silver you can't tell as much but I can put up a 4 foot drywall t and read every number off the paint .
Old 04-17-2004, 07:56 PM

hehehehe

almost have my hood done will post pics tomorrow because it got too dark for the pics i took to come out right i think you ALL will be surprised at how good it looks especially for single stage acylic enamel. i know i was absolutely surprised and the 3m perfect it stuff works outstanding trust me if anyone has recently painted a car whether it be clear coat use the 3m perfect it and you will see a ton of difference trust me on this.

thomas

p.s. i see what your talking about now with the specs it some kind of little buds or something coming off the trees where i live at,just to clarify it for you, thought you were talking about the specs on the domain website MY BAD

Last edited by firebird89355; 04-17-2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:34 PM

I used 3m I know the effect and totally agree.
Bad thing I found thin spots damnit now I got touch ups to do.

Quick Reply: Are You All Ready For Some New Pics?