Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Interior Color Change..... in progress.. Pics inside...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305 LB9 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Interior Color Change..... in progress.. Pics inside...

Alright guys, the thing that started the whole project i'm doing is the 2x4 t-top storage project. I couldn't find gray carpet so i got black fru and decided t convert the entire interior to black. Which isn't a bad thing at all since i was gonan some day anyways.

I spent $25 dollars on the whole conversion.

I got-
5 yards of black vinyl
1 yard of black fur
2 bottles of black die
Spray adhesive
Elmers Glue
black thread(nylon)
Upholstry needles(for machine and hand)

All totalling to a little under $25

The first project i've started is the door panels. I took them out yesterday at around 3:00PM and starting stripping them down. Got my vinyl out and cot the shape out. Started to sow some stuff, glue the vinyl to the backing and evething.

Here is how the passenger side looks so far,

it is still not completed as if yoyu look closely some is not sowed et, and some parts need to be added still.

I started on the Drivers side door panel about 3 hours ago and heres what i got so far,

yeah it is s different color carpet because drivers side panel is in the living room, my room cant hold no more trash...

Old 03-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Banned

will post more pics as progress progresses.....

Shane
Old 03-16-2004, 01:27 PM

Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: 5 speed manual
I'll reserve judgement until I see a finished product but do you think using elmers glue is a good idea? I really don't think its intended for upholstery and the temperatures the inside of your car will reach in the summer.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Banned

you dont even know what it was for though? Its the lightest job in upholstry. Holding the left over thread in place. You dont need a special glue for that job man.

I'm getting ready to be the kind of reupholstering a car. I did my headliner with perfection. Besides being a different material, these door panels will look stock. Teh carpet, i wont even think about keeping if it dont look stock. I hate aftermarket looks on the inerior, that excluding the silver paint on my interior panels.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 03-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 RS Camaro (Jet Black)
Engine: 95 383 CI (6.3) LT1
Transmission: 95 T-56
Yes, it may be for holding the slack in place, but the minute you have a hot day, your elmers glue is going to become more liquidish and can sag the material if some rubs against it. Elmers glue is a bad idea.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:13 PM

Car: '91 Firebird
It may not be complete yet, but I think it will turn out pretty nice based on the first picture. Good job man.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Banned

yeah the first one isn't even finished yet.I gotta gioto the store and pick up hot glue sticks to finish, and some needles, and thread...

Shane
Old 03-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Banned

thatwhite line ont he second is thread i needed to elmers glue behind the vinyl. Thats what its for.It looks rela *** now.....

Shane
Old 03-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Banned

heres an update pic of the second one,
Attached Thumbnails Interior Color Change..... in progress.. Pics inside...-door-panels-010-2.jpg  
Old 03-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Banned

dont mind the mark, its elmers glue.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: Stock carbed 305
Transmission: Stock 200C
You normally go to Wal-Mart to get fabric right? Why don't you go to a fabric store instead. That way you wouldn't be stuck with fur because they didn't have anything else. Go to a Jo Ann's or something. I did a search for them in Jacksonville and like 4 showed up. Here is the link Jo Ann's Fabric Store Locator. They have a bunch of different fabrics, including real headliner material, some carpeting, etc. Hey they probably even have a ton of different furs also, if you still want to go that route. I suggest you look into going there.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Banned

too late now..... The fur is such short hairs it looks like carpet, but when you feelit, its smooth....

Shane
Old 03-16-2004, 02:40 PM

I'm saying for future reference.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Banned

alright, but walmart usually has what i want. I have been wanting to convert to black interior sicne i was handed down the car, this was my chance

Shane
Old 03-16-2004, 02:51 PM

Well obviously Wal Mart doesn't have what you want if you had to end up buying fur. Wal Mar is Wal Mart, its an everything store, they don't always have a large selection of a specific thing. Jo Ann's is a fabric store, they specialize in just that.

I think you have some good ideas, but the way you execute them sometimes leaves them looking tacky. I think if you took the time to do a good uniform job of everything, things would look much different. Right now you have too many different textures and things going on, that your car is starting to look like fabric and material display vehicle. I don't have anything against your workmanship and I can see you put a lot of time and effort to get things right, but the mis-match of different materials and colors is what ruins it. You might then say: "Well you haven't seen the final results, I have a plan and an idea of how it will look in the end...you'll see etcetera." No, I don't have to see because so far, unless you do something uniform all around the vehicle your "theme" isn't looking all that great. I'm just trying to give you some cunstructive criticism so don't take everything to heart and get all defensive.

Yet, with all that said I do think your door panels are coming out pretty good.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Banned

well to tell you the truth since the new theme will be black i'm thinking of recovering the headliner in black fur, so that it will match. I dont wanna give the fur up, but black fur will do. Thanks for the polite way to tell me what i should do. I appreciate it.

The fur is actually a nice idea except with the whole car gonan be black, the grey/black fur wont match at all anymore.

Please dont tell me to switch to regular material, if anything i'll go vinyl. Its easy to work with and everything....

Shane
Old 03-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70
How can you say you don't like the look of non stock interiors and then you go and cover everything in fur cause you're too lazy to go get the right material?

Regardless of anything you do people are going to get on you if you half *** it like you are. You might even be able to show people here some actual talent if you would just take the time to go get the proper materials.

Your headliner looks like you won it at a state fair throwin darts at balloons.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt
So you decided to change the color of your entire interior because they didnt have grey carpet at wally world?
Old 03-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Karps TA
How can you say you don't like the look of non stock interiors and then you go and cover everything in fur cause you're too lazy to go get the right material?

Regardless of anything you do people are going to get on you if you half *** it like you are. You might even be able to show people here some actual talent if you would just take the time to go get the proper materials.

Your headliner looks like you won it at a state fair throwin darts at balloons.
Not to take anyones side....but how about we all did the same interior mods and did everything the same....wow what a boring world, we could all fart at the sametime too. Bleh, let the man do what he wants, don't know why some people get on here and act like the fashion police.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:23 PM

Car: 86 camaro
Engine: 2.8 multiport cross fire injection
Transmission: 5 speed
well personally i like it.
everyone almost on thi site changes their interiors to black.
shane is now different shanes liek me he aint rich and u gotta take what u can get.
as for the proper materials hes already got em they work dont they? yes they do.
u dont have to go w/ stock exact materials.
because i called for some factory crappy lookin headliner foam and fabrc in red was 20 bucks for onyl enough to do my headliner.
and i gota do sunvisors and sail panels and rear speakers so i got some red off ebay 5 yards worth shipped and insured n everythgin for like 27 bucks.
wal mart had none. and places here were too expensive to buy junk same material i got i coudl get here for 20 bucks or more a yard.
shanes fur is unique and different and its quite nice i think looks good women like it, its old school and different long as its not sagin or nothin then its good.
everyone has opinions and some are very different one thing ive fodun almsot very true is if a man changes soemthgin thats factory he gets alot of critics jumpin him over it.
liek ive said if everythgin were stock and junk what a boring world it would be.
car shows look for factory esp in older cars 50s 60s and 70s and starting in 80s but ppl love customs too soemthgin that is different.
gm made our cars right but personal touches make it yur car.
no one jumps anybody really if they slap in a huge blower and a big block because theyd just tell u to bring it to the strip and we'll settle it.
i like custm touches and makin yur car yurs.
if shane didnt say he was doin thsi because he had to over the not havin grey he wouldnt get this much ohh its half assed oh u rush thru it i dont think.
true he has different materials in his car but if gm made that many material in an interior nobody say or change any of it.
our s10 has carpet plastic vinyle and other materials in it fomr factory. like long hair carpet lower doors middl eparts plastic top parts grey plastic and got red short style carpet on it then reg carpet floor cloth red set w/ vinyl sides cloth different fomr anythgin else headliner plastic and soft vinyl dash.
i think ppl are pretty hard on shane on here i dunno if its cuz hes young and yall think hes stupid or what but hes pretty damned good for a young guy i think he aint afraid to try new stuff and he does his own work.
just liek my hood ppl dont liek it esp when it was 1st posted w/o bein blended and rpimered but now i got alot of ppl tell me its better then the ascd ram air 2 hoods or any other ram air aftermarket hoods.
and im sue shane and me and everyone else what we do to our cars makes em ours and what other ppl say doesnt affect us much because its ours. and we make it for us not for everyone else.
but it helps alot to have opinions on stuff and to ask ?s
im not trin to flame or make anyone mad and i dont want anyone to flame me im just sayin ppl lets be les harsh liek the sayin u got nothin good to say say nothin at all.
i like shanes door panels they look good shane.
id liek to have mine done.
i say keep up the good work post up a tech article on all this liek yur headliner and make it a page on yur cardomain site.
i like it!!!!
and ill be posting up my interior work soon for all who want to flame it or opinionize it.
im using red crushed velvet in mine and before u jump to conclusions wait til i post a pic of the material then wait til u see it done.
Attached Thumbnails Interior Color Change..... in progress.. Pics inside...-bf_1.jpg  
Old 03-16-2004, 04:27 PM

i do agree some tho on colors liek say black dash grey silver all thoose different colors might clash but since hes takin most of the grey or all to black it should blend nice.
i worry over mine bein too much since i got red carpet which is faded n wil be painted to refresh it so itl be more then likely one tone and my consoule another door panels and other factory red stuff one tone then my red velvet headliner n stuf all bein different tones. that worries me as it would on shanes but i think his is nice.
and if mines to many shades of red ill buy the dye or felxible coating i got for my carpet n do all the red it matches n only different red would be my velvet.
or buy more n recover lol.
point is u dont know what u like or want until u try it and get the picture of it and can set back and tel if somethgin needs changed or not.
thats the way my car was didnt know about my hood or nothin and wont know about my interior til its done btu way i see it if u see my interior now and when i got it and when its done even w/ different shade reds itll look a hell of alot better then it did or does now.
no headliner sunvisors or sail panels n junk
Old 03-16-2004, 04:29 PM

pasky i agree n said the same. u must have posted while i was typing my 2 huge messages. sorry for them bein long but geess ppl.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans Am & 1982 Corvette
Engine: L-98 with LO-3 induction. 350 CFI
Transmission: 5 speed and vette has 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373's in T/A .. vette unknown
I thought todays teens were obsessed with fart cans, booming stereo's and clear tail-lights and neons not fur headliners.

Is this car for real or just someone joking around
Old 03-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Banned

yeah guys, just got back from myinterview. yay i got the job. I work at AMC theatres, with benifits(free movies and food for me and my family), and i get paid $5.45 an hour. Which is a job guys. I need a job to pay the insurance bill. $210 a month aint easy to come by, and thats not even full coverage.

Anyways, after the interview i went to target to get my hot glue sicks(which i had forgot before) and am gonan start getting serious with this project now. Will be done today wioth this hot glue. I got one of them real hot hot glue guns, will it burn the vinyl. Its the kind tht if it touches your hand skin will come off, trust me i've done it before. Will it melt the vinyl? Maybe i should put it on mexdium temp, less strong but still works.

Shane
Old 03-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1
Hehehe... I work for the phone company... muhahahahaha... great pay and full benefits... I rule. not.

Im an idiot today.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:08 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 liter
Transmission: stick
$210 a month!?!?!?! WOW!!! I know I'm over 25 and everything, but DAMN. I don't pay that much for a 91 RS AND a Jeep. You get some tickets or something?
Just buggin ya man.

Back on topic though. To each their own on fixing up their rides. Not my taste, but at least he's not getting rid of the camaro for a imported 1.7 liter piece of... or anything. Even the ugliest camaro (not saying yours is kidrtch) is still better than the most fixed up import

My interior change is consisting of fabric painting my interior black (yes, I know, black, how original!!) and I'm going to fix my dash crack via black rhynoliner. So I say go for it with your fur interior. And if you don't like it, spend another $25 and redo it. Sounds like the biggest expense you have is your time.

Last edited by mcatdtCAMARO; 03-16-2004 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Banned

yeah $210 a month. I have aclean record. o accidents, no claims against me, no nothing. Ihave nopoints on me, i dunno why i'm being charged so much. Only allstate and state farm will cover me, everyone else says i'm too high risk. I dunno why....

Thanks in the interior compliments guys

Shane
Old 03-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Banned

i know i'm not gonna hear the end of this but heres gonna be more silver...

door panels as of now, they are completed, the things above just need to be added. They look perfect guys...

Dont mind this part right here. I dunno why it shows up like that in a photo but its not really there. There carpet just needs to usettle i guess. I treat it with a brush, its helping.

Shane
Old 03-17-2004, 10:37 AM

Car: '91 Firebird
Originally posted by kidrcth
i know i'm not gonna hear the end of this but heres gonna be more silver...

door panels as of now, they are completed, the things above just need to be added. They look perfect guys...

Dont mind this part right here. I dunno why it shows up like that in a photo but its not really there. There carpet just needs to usettle i guess. I treat it with a brush, its helping.

Shane
.... I take back my earlier statement. Those look like ... something...
Old 03-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Banned

heres how it all is now....

Old 03-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Banned

should i worry about this rust guys?

Only spots that the car is rusting in guys, should i worry?
Old 03-17-2004, 03:48 PM

Any rust can potentially become a problem later on....you should fix it while you have the car like that...especially since it isn't much at all.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:54 PM

Car: 1985 Mustang GT
Engine: hamsters
Transmission: a hamster wheel
I like it Shane, Im changing my int to black also and there will be some fur in there(on the door panels and headliner). Tho mine will be black and grey also. I say keep up the good work, your doing something that will make your car stand out from the millions of f-bodys that look alike. The only thing is you should use 3M sprayglue(rather than the elmers), it works awsome and Im going to use it to recarpet the parts that are already carpeted on my car(its a Z/28). Long live fur!!!! heh yea, make sure to have pics when your done.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:20 PM

Car: '86 Z-28
Engine: 350 bored .030 over
Transmission: T-5
yeah $210 a month. I have aclean record. o accidents, no claims against me, no nothing. Ihave nopoints on me, i dunno why i'm being charged so much. Only allstate and state farm will cover me, everyone else says i'm too high risk. I dunno why....

Thanks in the interior compliments guys

Shane
They probably saw the fur.

j/k

nice job so far
Old 03-17-2004, 08:18 PM
Supreme Member

gluesticks....
Old 03-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Banned

i found a 1929 penny in the car, and i a silver dollar. This is awesome. Hope the previous owner dont miss these things...

Shane
Old 03-17-2004, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

lol pass the airplane glue we need more fur! ...sorry I couldn't help it...
Old 03-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: Pos 2.8 pulled and replaced with a 350 tpi motor converted to carb.
Transmission: 700r4, vette servo,shift kit, hayden 15"x8" trans cooler.
Momma always said if you cant say nothing nice then shut the **** up.

So im gonna shut the **** up.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:03 PM

Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305 tbi=LO3
Transmission: Automatic
ill wait to see what the fur looks like in the end before judging, but the doors look sweet man!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:47 PM
Supreme Member

...does no one watch southpark..? ...come on...
Old 03-18-2004, 11:55 AM

i found a 1929 penny in the car, and i a silver dollar. This is awesome. Hope the previous owner dont miss these things...

Shane
that could be worth a pretty penny
Old 03-18-2004, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by grngryoutmyway
...does no one watch southpark..? ...come on...
are you talking about butters? omg that was so funny when he walked into the hospital and passed out.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Banned

not exactly the perfect effect i was looking fro but here is the died carpet. As it dries it gets darker so....

After this almost proper effect i will be buying new carpet so dont be getting on to be for it. It was worth a shot trying to revive the old carpet, just not enough..

Thanks,

should have followed the instructions, suppsed to wear gloves, and now it wont come off....

Last edited by therckid; 03-18-2004 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Banned

wheres a good place to buy varpet for these things online guys?

Shane
Old 03-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1
Ebay seems to be the best choice. I have seen the pass compartment kits go for less than $150. Im not sure about the back trunk area tho.

The carpet on ebay seems to be the A1 auto carpet.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Supreme Member

Check ebay for 82-92 carpet. You should see soem acutions for 129.99 for the passenger area and one for $190 for the entire interior. Thier normally $50 more both on thier website. Shipping is like $16. Its the carpet I got and its great, not to mention 1A automotive has great customer service. If it don't fit (as long as you didnt cut it or anything), they wil send someone to pick it up and send you a new one.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Banned

Pasky didn't you say you fu*ked up your carpet? Isn't it the same stuff, uncut? If it is then that’s cool because I want uncut carpet. I might try some more stuff on this carpet later. I heard people had some success actually spray painting it black then wishing it with a brush to make it look right. But that'll just be a temporary fix. I start my job on Thursday, so I’ll be getting money for this really soon.

Going to get new carpet, new seats, and new 4th gen console.

Should total around $690 for it all. But it’s well worth it.

I might, just maybe go with some seat covers for now since I’m going to need to cover my back seats anyways. Then once I get my new seats I will be able to get more money for them. Good plan to me.

So thinking out loud here guys-

If I get hawks seat covers that'll be $279.00, carpet $190, console $100.

Shane
Old 03-18-2004, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

LOL, nooooo you got me all wrong, yea I went outside and tried to cut a carpet I ordered pre-cut (For some dumb reason I ordered it uncut because I was an idiot and thought the 2 inches in the shifter hole would cause the cut version to be off). Anyways. You can order them pre-cut from them. You can also specify uncut.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Banned

i did the rear speaker covers 5 minutes ago, they look very very nice.
Attached Thumbnails Interior Color Change..... in progress.. Pics inside...-color-change-2.jpg  
Old 03-18-2004, 07:05 PM

Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: 350
Transmission: Auto
This may just be my personal oppinion, but the vinyl on the doors looks real good, bu for *** sakes man, finish them. It llooks like *** with the vinyl and then the little bit of the stock carpet crap showing in the bottom corner.

Quick Reply: Interior Color Change..... in progress.. Pics inside...