Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Interior Color Change..... in progress.. Pics inside...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305 LB9 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
what, are you saying cover the whole door apnel in vinyl or that little parts on the edges?

I'm getting to the finishing stages but progress is slow my friend. I can guarnett you thouhg that they will look completely awesome once finished...

Shane
Old 03-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70
you realize the vinyl is going to muffle the sound of your rear speakers right? They're going to sound like you have pillows over them.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Banned

nah it wont i already went out to the car to test them. They sound like normal. I did think the same thing but i tried it becuasehad nothing else to do and it actually works. The sound is not muffled and it actually increased bass, dunno how.

Shane
Old 03-18-2004, 08:35 PM

Car: 87 Iroc
Transmission: Auto
what, are you saying cover the whole door apnel in vinyl or that little parts on the edges?
I'm saying the whole doorpanel. I like the way the vinyl that's on there now looks, it loooks real good, but with out covering all of it, it just looks unfinished and odd.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Banned

i have been thinking the same thing for a while. But not enough vinyl left. I hate this!!!!!! I wanted to recover it all but..... ya know things stopped me.....

Guess i'll go back to walmart tomorow and get more stuff.

Anyone else think i should get rid of the carpet?

Shane
Old 03-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Banned

alright guys, after a lot of thinking and stuff, i've decided not to waste my left over $7 on more vinyl, but to just the peices i got left to put in place of the carpet. cool thing too is, that since i will just be sowing it in place, that measn that if that certain part of the vinyl ever wears out(key reason why carpet was there) i can just undo the stiches and put new vinyl to replace it.

Awesome idea d00d, thanks!!!

Shane
Old 03-18-2004, 09:28 PM

*sigh*
Old 03-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Banned

why sigh??????
Old 03-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Banned

i was gonan put black fur, but i dont got enough left...
Old 03-18-2004, 09:45 PM

Car: 87 formie
Engine: none
Transmission: none
looks ok. i like the rear speaker covers, those look great.

as for the rust take car of it now. thats hardly anything, you could probably just hand sand that stuff away.

[starsky] DO IT.... DO IT![/starsky]
Old 03-18-2004, 09:51 PM
Banned

well the rust was hand sanded off. Turns out my rustoleum from 5 years ago was clogged, 3/4 way full too!!!!!! So i used my primer and then got my Exterior patched paint(exteiro car use) and painted the primer real good. That rust aint never coming back.

Thanks aboutt he speaker cover, i think i like them the best so far, they are nice and steamlined.

Shane
Old 03-18-2004, 11:14 PM

Car: '91 Firebird (blown apart)
Engine: *cough*BOAT ANCHOR*cough*
Transmission: Slushbox
Well, I like the direction your going with the interior, 'cept for the fur, but to each their own. A few sugguestions for you though on the door panels though. Stretch them out and smooth them. From the pics you posted the vinyl looks puffy, saggy and unfinished. Think along the lines of recovering a headliner. You need to make the material smooth and tight. Know what I mean? Anyways about the carpet, if it was me, I'd save up some $$ and just get a brand new one. You'll be happier in the long run if you ask me and looking at some pics of your interior before you pulled it apart, it looked like it was pretty stained up and well, used. If you want a quality look, you need to do quality work with quality pieces.

-Derth
Old 03-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Banned

The vinyl only looked not stretched because it was leaning and was bending. Look at the first pics and it doesn’t look like that anymore does it? It was because they were leaning.

And just trust me; if something looks stupid ill replace it. Key thing there. I won’t stand a stupid looking door panel. But I’m going to give it a try and see if it can be reused, if not, then, o-well. But if it can then I saved $7. Not a big deal to you but I don’t have a job and get very limited money incomes otherwise. That’s my last $7 I can spend before I start my job on Thursday next week, once I get paid new things will be bought. I can give you my word that my car will never look cheap. I was looking before at the door panels and I just couldn’t understand what was just not right about them, once I got a scrap piece of vinyl and put it over the carpet I knew the carpet was it(I was motivated to try this by the one poster above).

You haven’t even seen the fur parts yet buddy. The fur headliner stays man. Don’t try to talk me out of that one, so many people have.

But my plans for the door panels will be revealed tomorrow. You guys will see, and will be in awe. They will be installed tomorrow but the rest of the interior won’t be. Lots of work to do tot he carpet still. Going to try to re-dye it again tomorrow to see if I can get it any darker. I hope I can.

Shane
Old 03-19-2004, 08:48 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Car: 1997 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Well, i give you an A for effort. But i find it hard to believe that your sound wont be muffled.

I just took and old piece of vinyl i had laying around, went out to my car, adjusted the sound to just come out of the right rear, and put the vinyl over it.

Sure sound muffled to me, maybe not distorted, but the sound waves were def. getting caught up.

Maybe you have special sound vinyl

But like i said, A for effort from me, its nice to see someone do something out of the ordinary, i am just glad its not being done to my car
Old 03-19-2004, 09:41 AM

Car: 86 camaro
Engine: 2.8 multiport cross fire injection
Transmission: 5 speed
as for the muffling of speakers its a good thing there was a post on this in the car audio section about a down firing sub box as oposed to fireing up at the glass.
all in all it sounded better and i tried a variation of this myself it does sound better.
why?
low end or worn out speakers cuz some what of distortion u may or may not hear.
placing padding over them as i did, vinyl over them as shane did, or down firing box that hidea the distortion it kinda filters it out somehow. i guess cuz of the muffling affect.
now rear speakers may be different but my subs were facing the glass and i slaped in some padding over em n other junk to keep em hidden for now and i forget n started bumpin em and jammin out then i remembered it.
thought hmm that downfiring post was right n removed padding, listened put it back on, listened and knew i was goin to do padding over em.
no lie on this they hit harder, sounded deeper hittin, and were much clearer sound. mine are set only to low pass or whatever so they only do bass no music and i was listening to the exact same song thru out my test.
the best stays the same thru the song as well the music n stuff.
im guessin the rears would muffle some but u can fix that prob fad them more to the rear speakers or just turn the volume up a couple more notches then normal.
that padding or muffling device helps to filter then sound tho very much. i wouldnt recommen somethgin solid like vinyl but more like carpet fur lol or carpet n padding maybe.
definatly works tho.
i didnt beleive it myself until i tried it on my subs.
might only work well w/ aftermarket high powered stuff tho too.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: Pos 2.8 pulled and replaced with a 350 tpi motor converted to carb.
Transmission: 700r4, vette servo,shift kit, hayden 15"x8" trans cooler.
subs in the rear well and speakers in the sail panel have nothing to do with each other, vinyl over a speaker will muffel the sound, especially high end notes. If you dont hear it i dont know what to tell you but it does.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Banned

the front speakers are for high, anything in the rear are for mids and lows. END OF STORY.

It didn't muffle anything guys it filtered out anything that needed to be taken out.

Shane
Old 03-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Supreme Member

Vinyl doenst filter anything out. Its not an a acoustical material, it muffles. Crossovers filter things out NOT vinyl. Vinyl muffles the speaker so you wont hear distortion, IT WILL NOT "filter" any distortion out, you just wont hear it.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:33 AM

ok if u dont hear distortion then it filters it

padding does not muffle my susb as i said they are louder deeper and clearer.

u wouldnt know unless u heard it.

and sailpanels and subs are related they are both in the rear both in the car 6x9s do some bass but are intented for mids.
if they distort w/ bass then the vinyl will mask it.

u can say what u ant but i know fomr personal experience.
crossovers filter junk out like lows and highs fomr mids and lows and mids from highs thats what they are made for.

we shouldnt be havin this conversation because long as shane happy it dont matter.
i was just stating to other ppl a lil known fact of masking filtering or not hearing dostortion whatever u want to call it just re wording it doesnt means its completely different. they do the same thgin not hear mask or as i call it filter it because it does not do anythgin else theres no muffling to mine just no distortion now.

way it see it yea mids arent subs but can still do the same purpose put out sound.
and i dotn care what ppl say 6x9s do put out bass mine would vibrate the whole outside of the car only half way up w/ no amp.
covering em over serves same purpose as a bandpass box basically sept they suck and covering w/ materials works great.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:36 AM

Car: 1990 TA
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: 4L60
Originally posted by kidrcth
everyone else says i'm too high risk.
Here in NY, they say I'm high risk until 29... You're young, so you're automatically high risk. The age at which that no longer applies varies by state.

Anyway if something shows up in the photo, but you cannot see, it is not something to be ignored. It may be a defect that will show itself over time.

That metal trim from the inside door panel, how did you remove that? Did it come off cleanly? The trim on my driver's side door is starting to rust and therefore looks like crap.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Car: 1997 Z28
Axle/Gears: 3.42
It didn't muffle anything guys it filtered out anything that needed to be taken out.
Um okay boss, you should let people in on your special filtering vinyl.

Vinyl doenst filter anything out. Its not an a acoustical material, it muffles. Crossovers filter things out NOT vinyl. Vinyl muffles the speaker so you wont hear distortion, IT WILL NOT "filter" any distortion out, you just wont hear it.
Exactly, it seems to me that since you dont hear the distortion, you may crank it up more, thus causing damage to your speakers.

u wouldnt know unless u heard it.
Well i do know what i just did. It was muffled, not filtered, big difference there.

Watching you 2 defend a nonsense idea is like watching an episode of beavis and butthead.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Supreme Member

Filtering and muffleing are not the same and if you think they are you know NOTHING about car audio.
What you call bass and what someone else calls bass is two different things. 6x9's in these cars suck.

But considering you think the 6x9's sound good its no wonder you think putting vinyl over speakers is a good idea

A crossover filters out lower fq that blank speaker can not produce, effectivly lowering distortion.
Vinyl over a speaker just muffles it so you dont hear it. It DOESNT filter anything. The distortion is still their and your speaker is more easier to blow from distortion because you dont hear it as much and are less likely to turn it down.

If vinyl filtered distortion out dont you think people at soundoffs with $1000's in their systems would just cover their damn speakers with it instead of spending money and time on crossovers etc....?

Covering a speaker DOES NOT serve the same purpose as a bandpass box!

Why do i even reply to young kids who have no clue what the hell they are talking about!???????? what a waiste of time!
Old 03-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Supreme Member

Watching you 2 defend a nonsense idea is like watching an episode of beavis and butthead

LMFAO !!!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Banned

dont hijack my thead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Banned

OH MAN, these look awesome. I dont regret one bit butting off that carpet. It was the coolest idea and i thank the d00d who spiked the idea to do so.

Only done with one of them so far, so, what do ya guys think now?

That crease in the second pic will go away, it just take a little while, and since its streched it will go away faster.

Shane

Old 03-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Banned

gonna go gte started on the other one now guys....

shane
Old 03-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Banned

here the passenger side door panel already installed and i gotta say it is better then what i wanted. I just couldn't wait to get it in the car once it was finsished so, here ya go guys.

Now to go make me some lunch(at 3:11, lol yeah) and then finish the drivers side door panel.

What do ya guys think now?

Old 03-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Engine: 2.3 DISI Turbo
Transmission: 6 speed MT
The panel doesn't look half bad installed, and I know you're tired of hearing about it... but OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that fur!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z28
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt
For the amount of money you spent... ill give you an A for effort.... I guess
Old 03-19-2004, 04:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Iroc-Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: auto
i'm not sure what i think of it....i dont really like the look of the silver, i think it would look better being black. and the fur is not my thing either........i'm not sure, it doesn't look bad, but i dont think it's better than stock.....IMO, it looks as good as the stock panel, just different..i dont like one over the other

quality job though, and nice price to get it done...
Old 03-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Banned

i was looking fro a stock job.

And the project is far from done guys. Carpet still has to go in and everything. Then once i getpaind new vinyl seat covers from hawks are going on, then new carpet, then a nice 97+ 4th Gen Console.

Shane
Old 03-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 RS Camaro (Jet Black)
Engine: 95 383 CI (6.3) LT1
Transmission: 95 T-56
Thats a damn good job. Made up my mind on how i'll do mine.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:38 PM

Wow...I feel special because I gave you the idea to cover the whole thing

Anyway, it looks good. I really like it, however, I think you need to do two more things to make it look perfect.

1.) The part that you put the second piece of vinyl over, the thick plasticy line thing. Know what I'm talking about? You have the upper one silver already? Yeah, do that in silver to. I think it will make the silver on the door panels look a lot more like it belongs there. There's too much silver in one particular spot, and not any on the other side. Adding that silver will balance it ou. Anyone who's ever taken a design class will know what I'm talking about

2.) I know, I've read a lot of your posts and I know you don't want to hear it, but lose the fur on the armrest. Keep it on the headliner, that's ok, but it just looks really really odd on the armrest. It ruins the whole door panel, IMHO anyway. Either that, or cover the whole armrest. At least make it look finished.

Well, I just decided on something else, I guess there's three things I think you should do.

3.) You know the plastic pieces that are silver know, near the door handle? Get a black paint pen and color in all the torx bolts black. It'll make it look professional and detailed.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 91zconvt
Wow...I feel special because I gave you the idea to cover the whole thing

Anyway, it looks good. I really like it; however, I think you need to do two more things to make it look perfect.

1.) The part that you put the second piece of vinyl over, the thick plasticy line thing. Know what I'm talking about? You have the upper one silver already? Yeah, do that in silver to. I think it will make the silver on the door panels look a lot more like it belongs there. There's too much silver in one particular spot, and not any on the other side. Adding that silver will balance it out. Anyone who's ever taken a design class will know what I'm talking about

2.) I know, I've read a lot of your posts and I know you don't want to hear it, but lose the fur on the armrest. Keep it on the headliner, that's ok, but it just looks really really odd on the armrest. It ruins the whole door panel, IMHO anyway. Either that, or cover the whole armrest. At least make it look finished.

Well, I just decided on something else, I guess there's three things I think you should do.

3.) You know the plastic pieces that are silver know, near the door handle? Get a black paint pen and color in all the torx bolts black. It'll make it look professional and detailed.

Alright....

On number one could you please get into paint and point out what you’re talking about.

On number two the fur on the door handle serves good purpose. One the Seats Are back in you'll see it really don’t look bad.

On number 3 that’s a very good idea, I will do that as soon as possible. Got to get a black paint pen because I just got my old one from when I was 5 and into models and it’s dried up, so...
Old 03-19-2004, 09:35 PM

Here's my crap photoshop attempt. I couldn't find just a good pic of an armrest, so I just drew one. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Interior Color Change..... in progress.. Pics inside...-newdoor.jpg  
Old 03-19-2004, 09:45 PM
Banned

ummm the thing your thinking of isn't a molding, its the vinyl double stiched(bent then sowed). I dont hink i can paint that thing sooooo...

I can tell ya one thing, the bolts will be black.

The fur, i dunno what i'm gonna do with it but i am gonna keep the current color. Atleast until i convert the headliner to black fur to match the other colors.

Shane
Old 03-19-2004, 09:47 PM
Banned

on second thought, you've spiked an idea, gonna tlak to my mechainc to see if he can fab me up some of them thing in metal so i can put them there. That'd be awesome right????

Shane
Old 03-19-2004, 09:54 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
That doesn't look all that bad really. I couldn't care about the fur. Seems fuzzy and comfortable at least.
One thought though. It's seems you would have been at a better start with some stock panels and just dyeing them black. Less work anyways. The panels in my old 84 were all vinyl which looked almost like what you've worked all this time for.
Here's the panel in my 91...
Attached Thumbnails Interior Color Change..... in progress.. Pics inside...-panel.jpg  
Old 03-19-2004, 10:26 PM

Last edited by 88txiroc; 03-20-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:37 PM

Last edited by 88txiroc; 03-20-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Supreme Member

I didnt even read all of your threads because its obvious you are an inmature kid
You are a kid and at least i can say this, Even though kidrcth disagrees with me he didnt come back onhere sounding like a run away retarded kid at the special olympics having a fit.
I have 10 years exp in car audio, far more than you and i can tell you,as anyone with exp can, You DO NOT put vinyl over speakers to filter anything.

I did not reply calling you two who didnt know anything did i?

I was simply telling you two the vinyl doesnt work the way you two think it does.

Look put vinyl over your speakers if you want to, hell if it makes you happy but dont tell people it filters out distortion because it doesnt and before you know it we'll have a thread from some noobie who put vinyl over his speakers and blew them and now he wants to know why.

Last edited by 88txiroc; 03-20-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Banned

dont hijack my thread guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:28 AM

***MOD EDIT***

saorry shane im done arguein too childish i appolgize for it and if i said anythgin to upset u sir robert.

Last edited by 88txiroc; 03-20-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:30 AM

i am benoit the highjacker hahaahahahha shane lol.
u must pay me one miluunnnn gaazilliiaaannnn ffaaffillliaauuoonn dolllars!!!!!!! to get it back.

dude u get yur carpet died the 2nd time?
or get it all back in? ohh my bad u said sun itl be in right?
im dieing to see it all in and together cuz man its looking great so far.
very nice chioces.
as i said i liked the vinyl /carpet d/p's but now they look even better man.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:01 AM
Supreme Member

You have to understand on a web site as this is, the only impression you give is by what you write and when you get mad because someone says your wrong and post blocked out profanity you give the impression that you are an inmature kid who is young and stupid. If me calling you an inmature kid upset you please think of how i came to think you were one.
no one knows everything and thats why alot of us are here, to share what we know and learn what we dont know.

My skills are pretty good in car audio for example, BUT if someone with more exp and knowledge such as jims85iroc, Faded,(theirs some others i cant remember) has something to say then i read it and think about it because they have been to where i am now. Been there done that.

Back to the subject, The doors look much nicer than i thought they'd turn out. Good job. And i'd keep the fur. Makes it different than everyone else!
Old 03-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Banned

guys keep myu thread only about my stuff. Only. If ya wanna argue PM each other. GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT HIJACK MY THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shane
Old 03-20-2004, 11:54 AM

dude chill we said we are and was jokin round bout highjackin man dont get yur undies in a bunch man.
its all good.
we gotta keep yur thread alive until u get us out of suspense and post some finished pics.

i agree w/ robert liek ive said all along the furs nice i like it and would keep it definatly because it makes yur car yurs.

dude until i seen this thread i didnt know u had the arm rests done they not only look good but i bet they feel good.

if im right u only done the bottom part right? the big part?
id do em all that be sweet esp in black!!!!
do em fomr the big end on bottom to the small part were screw is.
if ya already done em sorry man i got very short term memory lol.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Banned

wlel right in a sec gonna go install a few things, and take some pics so..........

Not the carpet yet

Shane
Old 03-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Banned

alright guys got the speaker covers in and the other door panel fixed and in, so...

tell me what ya think..

Last edited by therckid; 03-20-2004 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 RS Camaro (Jet Black)
Engine: 95 383 CI (6.3) LT1
Transmission: 95 T-56
Originally posted by br()bert
You have to understand on a web site as this is, the only impression you give is by what you write and when you get mad because someone says your wrong and post blocked out profanity you give the impression that you are an inmature kid who is young and stupid. If me calling you an inmature kid upset you please think of how i came to think you were one.
no one knows everything and thats why alot of us are here, to share what we know and learn what we dont know.

My skills are pretty good in car audio for example, BUT if someone with more exp and knowledge such as jims85iroc, Faded,(theirs some others i cant remember) has something to say then i read it and think about it because they have been to where i am now. Been there done that.

Back to the subject, The doors look much nicer than i thought they'd turn out. Good job. And i'd keep the fur. Makes it different than everyone else!
You've posted profanity towards other users plenty of times :P.

Quick Reply: Interior Color Change..... in progress.. Pics inside...