Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Taking off body parts...help please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87' Iroc
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Taking off body parts...help please.

I totally lucked out, a buddy of mine has a friend with a black 89 camaro with a totally straight body. He bought the car for 500$, and is taking the 350 out of it. Hes gonna let me have anything I want off the car for a very nominal fee, which means I can finally get rid of all my damaged body panels

The thing is, he doesn't want the car sitting in front of his house w/o a fender/bumper/door etc etc for obvious reasons.

How long would it take me to take off the bumper cover/fender?

Then switch mine with his. Would it be possible for 2 people to take my bumper cover/fender off, take the bumper cover/fender off the donor car, and switch them in like 8 hours? So that way I could just drive over, switch it, and be done?

Not sure about the door, that might be harder.

I'm totally pysched...the car has a perfect dash as well, which will nicely replace mine which cracked this winter. I'm gonna steal so many little things from the interior like the top door plastic trim pieces that TGR wants 90$ for (ridiculous).

I'd really appreciate any help with how to remove the bumpercover/fender. The ground effects are just riveted to the bumper cover right? Cause I'm probably going to have to switch that off as well.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:49 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 4 Spd Auto
You should be able to take off the bumper cover and fenders in less than 8 hours. The thing that might get tricky is lining up the new pieces on your car so they are nice and straight. You can do that later though, if you just want to slap them on for the time being.

This car wouldnt happen to have a 9 bolt would it??

Old 03-14-2004, 04:58 PM
Supreme Member

Thats why the car was originally sold, the rear blew twice. The car is originally a V6, but a 350 was put in and Iroc gfx were put on.

As far as I know, the bumper cover is the same for 87 and 89 no matter if it was V6 or Iroc. The doors are all the same, and 87-89 have the same fenders as well. (plz let me know if I'm wrong)

I'm pretty much gonna take as much as I can. The guy only paid 500$ for the car. Hes taking the 350...but as far as I know I can take whatever else I want. I'm gonna take as much as I can. All the interior peices I can take I will...backups are always nice.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
8 hours? Try like 2 hours. There are 4 bolts on each side that attach the bumper to the fenders and one bolt facing the other way at the very bottom front corner of the fender. The easiest way to get to all of these is from under the car. You also need to take all of the plastic connectors from the air deflector off. Lastly, take the 2 bolts that hold the headlight bar to the frame of the car. You should be able to pull the front bumper off. To get the fenders off first remove the hood and then take all the bolts that hold the top of the fenders on. After that there is one on the bottom of the car under the door and one connected to a rod in the front of the fender.

The door is way easier. Pull off the door pannels and remove the connectors for the power acc. Route the cable out of the door. There are the three conectors on the top hinge to remove. On the lower hinge, 1 bolt is accessable from the outside, the other you have to pull off the kick pannel inside and a cover. Then take hte last 2 bolts out. It is way easier to do after the fenders are off. I can strip the whole front end off in less than an hour with an air ratchet.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Supreme Member

Hmm...so I could realistically drive my car to where the donor car is, take my bumper/fender off, remove the donor cars bumper/fender and swap them in 8 hours? I'd probably have someone helping me as well....

Simple enough, my buddy just replaced the bumer cover/fenders on his 86 Monte SS and he said it took him 2 hours and it was pretty simple. I wasn't sure how much more complex the camaro bumper is.

I appreciate the info.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

oh yea, easy. and remember, you don't have to put all the bolts back on the donor car. If you just did the ones that hold the headlight bar and to the frame and the ones that hold the hood down it would hold shape on the donor car and nothing would fall off...
Old 03-14-2004, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by stiers
oh yea, easy. and remember, you don't have to put all the bolts back on the donor car. If you just did the ones that hold the headlight bar and to the frame and the ones that hold the hood down it would hold shape on the donor car and nothing would fall off...
Yea, after I strip what I want, the kid is just calling the junkyard to pick the car up anyways. So I'll be sure to do that and save myself the time.

Are the rivets normally reusable or should I use new ones?
Old 03-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Supreme Member

They are plasic, use a door pannel tool or a pickel fork or hammer end to pull the pin and they will be reusable. They are a PITA to get out though until you get the hang of it