Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Car Stolen Tonight, has body damage

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Trans Am
Engine: 355 SBC
Transmission: 700R-4
Car Stolen Tonight, has body damage

So it's about 2:30 this morning, I am at a party. I am getting ready to leave, so (being as I have hypers and its cold) I go and start my car up in front of the host's house. I go back inside, take a ****, come back out and my CAR IS GONE! I look to the corner to see it driving away. I immediately go back inside and call the police and give them the proper information. About 20 minutes later I see red and blue lights about a block down. Instinctively, I book it down the road to see them handcuffing some 20-something punk *** kid. It seems as though the kid wanted to have some "fun" and take my car out and "had full intention on bringing it back". He was also drunk, so he'll be getting the DUI charge on top of that.

Anyway, the cop takes me to my car. It is ditched in an alley behind someone's house, complete with the lights still on. He asks me if there is any damage and I can't really see anything wrong, save for the antenna that had been stolen a week earlier. So naturally, I said my antenna was stolen and he'll be paying for that as well.

Thankfully for me, I was actually able to get my car back without any relative damage (we'll see about any engine damage, being as the new engine isn't even broken in yet). Thankfully for the kid, the cops got to him before I did.....

My question is, has anyone ever had their car stolen and gotten it back??? Was there any damage??? What can I do to the kid legally???

Steve
Old 02-15-2004, 02:46 AM

Car: 87 Trans am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: built 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 bolt posi w/ disc
legally i would try to find whatever i could wrong with the car that he could have done and get that fixed. my sister's car was stolen in mid october and recovered about 2 blocks from where it was stolen. the only thing missing...a 45$ parking pass to a community college...some people. the car had absolutly nothing wrong with it, the locks were even in the same condition they were in when the car was stolen. someone wanted a parking pas and nothing else. she got the car back and sold it, she had bought a new car by the time they found it. umm best thing for you to do is look over the car and find out what he did to it, if there is a scratch that he could have done, blame him for it. anything that is broken, blame him for it. remember police are somewhat smart, if you find like 30 things, they are gonna call BS on it and you wont get anything. i think a DUI is enough for the guy, and having to pay for the damages that you find and want fixed
Old 02-15-2004, 09:35 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Being as how you had left the car running and unattended, you might not be able to get anything since you contributed to the theft.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Vert
Engine: 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Originally posted by Trickster
Being as how you had left the car running and unattended, you might not be able to get anything since you contributed to the theft.
?????????

That's like saying that if someone opens my unlocked front door and steals my brother that I contributed to the kidnapping?
Old 02-15-2004, 10:43 AM
Supreme Member

, this is not true.....

You can legally sue him, and also did you file the damage complaints with the police? It must be on file with the police.....
Old 02-15-2004, 10:53 AM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 427 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt / 3.73 TrueTrac

I am going to have to agree with everyone else. That kid is totally screwed.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:29 AM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Maybe it depends on where you live, but where I'm from what Trickster said is absolutely correct.

If you leave your car running and unattended - do so with the full knowledge that someone will probably steal it. During the winter months it is one of the most common reason cars are stolen.

Let's face it - opportunists and simple joyriders are abundant, and chances are they will damage or completely strip your ride....so is it really such a pain just to sit inside your car and wait a few minutes?
Old 02-15-2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by BirdsofPray
Maybe it depends on where you live, but where I'm from what Trickster said is absolutely correct.

If you leave your car running and unattended - do so with the full knowledge that someone will probably steal it. During the winter months it is one of the most common reason cars are stolen.

Let's face it - opportunists and simple joyriders are abundant, and chances are they will damage or completely strip your ride....so is it really such a pain just to sit inside your car and wait a few minutes?
Where exactly are you from? Not that I don't believe you.. it's just something that I would be interested in findding out more about.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
I don't know where Birdsofpray is from but I am from South Carolina. My brother-in-law left his car out front with the door unlocked and the engine running while he was inside the house. An individual took the oppurtunity to drive off with it. Other than that individual being charged with taking the car, nothing could be done. Even though he had full insurance coverage on the car, they would not pay off because he was negligent and contributed to the theft by leaving the car unattended and running.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:13 PM

Wow, that is one of the weirdest things I have heard in a while. It's amazing how car insurance companies find way to avoid covering car owners on things.

I suppose it's a good thing that I have a remote start going in this summer.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:37 PM

Car: 86 camaro
Engine: 2.8 multiport cross fire injection
Transmission: 5 speed
hi all this is a lil off subject but an easy way to avoid starting yur car in winter and somone running off with it would be like we do our s10...

get one thoose key rings that comes apart so u can start car and detach yur door keys and lock the door behind u and leave it runnin.

maybe even get out and turn on yur alarm im nto sure how that may work w/ car runnin and arming the alarm. but we got a key ring from snap on that u pull apart in the middle has 2 rings on it and seperates in midle so we start truck leave keys in ignition and then remove the bottom and lock door.
come out use dor key unlock it put chain together and drive off.
i also got mine for my fourwheeler at walmart. has lil lever that slides over to unlatch the top ring. for botu 3 bucks its easy cheap protection.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:51 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Originally posted by DigitalMonarch0
Wow, that is one of the weirdest things I have heard in a while. It's amazing how car insurance companies find way to avoid covering car owners on things.

I suppose it's a good thing that I have a remote start going in this summer.
I hear ya, man. I've got the same thing planned for my car.

I'm not saying I actually think it's 83TransAm's fault....because personally I think it's a pretty sad world where you cannot even leave your car just for a few moments to warm it up. I was only saying since it is such a sad world, you perhaps should be a bit more careful - especially if the police officers and insurance companies are as unforgiving as the ones around here.

I live in Tennessee, by the way.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:54 PM

Yeah I live in Michigan, so I think NO MATTER WHAT, stealing a car is stealing a car. I could probably have a sign on the car that says "Steal Me" and it's still a crime. It IS very sad that I can't leave my car running in front of a house 25 FEET AWAY for 5 minutes without getting it stolen. (Thankfully I live in the #2 highest police per citizen capita in the US).

I think my car is so weird that I could probably start the car, and then pull the keys out of the ignition and it would remain running, lol. I'm going to have to test it today and see.

Steve
Old 02-15-2004, 02:15 PM

not to leech off of this guys thread or anything, this is related somewhat..

does anyone know if there is anything different about puting a remote start on a carbed engine over a different style?
Old 02-15-2004, 03:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1983 Daytona Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Originally posted by 83TransAm
I think my car is so weird that I could probably start the car, and then pull the keys out of the ignition and it would remain running, lol. I'm going to have to test it today and see.

Steve
You should be able to do that. You could do that to my '82 T/A, and a 82 T/A that I had before this one.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Iroc rebuild
Engine: 355 carb'd
Transmission: 5spd
Axle/Gears: 3:08 pos for a while
TN?

what part like it makes a difference,anytime a car left running unattended is just waiting for some dumba$$ to drive off in it
Old 02-15-2004, 07:05 PM

Car: 2001 Trans Am WS.6, 1985 Trans Am-RIP :,(
Engine: LS1, 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E, 700R-4
83TransAm: What city you live in? I'm from MI too.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:37 PM

Car: 91 z-28 conv.
Engine: 350 vortec tpi crate
Transmission: 700r4
you left your car running and unattended????!!!!
bwahahahahahaha!!

your lucky that HE or anyone else did not get hurt! some bottom feeder would be filing suit as i write this for and an 'attractive nuisance' and holding you personally liable for ALL damages. (i hope john edwards doesn't see this post)

i have done 'less than intellegent' things too, but personally i would refrain from posting them on a boards in the future!!

it may be a sad note on our society but hey, reality is real.

ps... do you walk through the 'ghetto' with cash protruding from you pocket? just wondering.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:55 PM

Car: Yellow/Black 1987 Z28
Engine: 355 Carb
my dad had his car stolen once when he was walking to it with an arm full of groceries and his keys in his hand. the guy ran up and hopped in the brand new sucker and drove to georgia in it where he promptly ditched it in a crime filled area and it got stripped of the interior and up on bricks. needless to say he got it back but insurance wouldnt pay the tow bill or consider it totaled even tho the damage was well over the cost of the car.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:48 PM

Wow, Slohand, you're a dick. No matter where or how I leave my car, doesn't ANYONE the right to take it, NOR does it make it more justifiable.

If I were 12 and left my bike in the middle of the yard, that would be dumb, but its still a crime to take it.

Does any company make any remote starts for carbed cars? I don't think it's really feasible since they don't start as well as FI cars.

MATTO85: I am originally from Redford and I would NEVER leave my car running in my own GARAGE, but since I am in Mt. Pleasant right now, I had a little more faith since I am right on campus. I'll certainly never do that again.

Steve
Old 02-15-2004, 09:42 PM

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Pro 5.0 shifted T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi
Wow that really sucks. Honestly, I dont know weather the insurace would pick up the bill or not. I mean all they are going to say is "you left it running". Personally, I think stealing is one of the worst crimes you can committ. I dont care if its lifting a piece of gum fromt the candy store or boosting a brand new Ferrari, its immoral, selfish, and wrong. I have no respect whatsoever for ANYONE that steals anything. Sad times we live in...

MI has some messed up laws too. Like that "no fault" crap. Basically, it says that no matter what happens in an accident, no one has to pay anyone else anything. So if ******* billy joe bob runs a stop sign doing 90mph when hes drinking his beer and lighting his joint, and he runs his $200 truck into my dads $60,000+ vintage Jaguar, the state basically shrugs their shoulders and we're just out 60 grand. *** I hate laws sometimes....
Old 02-15-2004, 10:22 PM

Car: 91 z-28 conv.
Engine: 350 vortec tpi crate
Transmission: 700r4
come on 83 lighten up. i meant no offense, i was being honest.
i hope the lesson is WELL learned.

i never once said it was 'OK' to take it, my point was questioning the state of mind in this day and age to do it. i think it was put best as 'thou shalt not steal'.

we have ALL done dumb things, me more than most i suspect, just don't ask me to post about them. maybe we need a new commantment 'thou shalt not do stupid or carless things'. probably has about as much a chance as the other 10 of being obeyed.

and as a senior member you should KNOW there could be a legal liablility for an attactive nuisance. it may be screwed up but he could have been liable. our legal system is a whole other can of slimy worms.

i think it's dang fortunate no one got hurt besides feelings and only wish the best for the future.

ya'll have a good nite.

quoting my hero forest gump 'and thats all i have to say about that'.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:19 PM

Car: '86 IROC
Engine: 305 LG4 awaiting the crate Vortec 350
I remember my aunt telling me a story that she started up her car and went and waited right inside her doorway for a few minutes. A cop drove by and wrote her a ticket for leaving the car unattended, even though she was standing there practically looking at the car from 15 feet away. This was a few years ago, and this is in IL, so maybe it's different in other states? I would think that you would get f*cked and given a ticket for leaving the car unattended. That sux man
Old 02-15-2004, 11:22 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
I live in a relatively safe area, (and we have a longer driveway) so things are retty safe, but I RARELY let my car warm up wihtout me around it. Around here though, if someone steals it, they are completely liable! Whether you left it open or not. Now in seattle and tacoma, thats a different story. Its illegal there, and if someone stole it then.....too bad for you. No help from the police (except tracking it down) or your insurance.

cheers hope theres nothign wrong with your ride.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:06 AM

Engine: 3.1L V-6
Transmission: Fresh 700R4
actually according to a new law in St. Louis just passed in '02 if you leave your car running and it's stolen then not only do you no longer have the right to press charges you also get a ticket for being an accessory

stupid isn't it?
Old 02-16-2004, 03:38 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2012 Nissan Leaf
Engine: 80-kW AC synchronous electric motor
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: n/a
i have left my car running a few times, i have a regular key ring, i jut undo the key, its worth the time. i will never have my car stolen that way,

tough luck, glad it's back, good luck prosocuting. i hope you get that degenerate peice of trash. grand theft auto is pretty big offense, your neglagence or not it is still theft, even though you did somthing foolish he still took your prsonall property w/o permission and deserves a good sentence
Old 02-16-2004, 05:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 iroc-z 5.7tpi 350,
Engine: 5.7tpi 350,
Transmission: T-56 fully built WOOHOO
i am sorry....i have heard about this neglagence law its true its gonna be tough getting things out of him....if i were you i personally believe in pay back and would find out where he lives and pay some thug who has nothing to loose to harass him.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Supreme Member

Engine: 5.0L TBI (ebl inside)
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 lsd 10 bolt
Originally posted by Need4Speed1387
This was a few years ago, and this is in IL, so maybe it's different in other states? I would think that you would get f*cked and given a ticket for leaving the car unattended. That sux man
Missouri now has this law too.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:04 PM

Received 181 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
You guys are confusing the issues. Stealing is wrong and is punishable. However, if the car is stolen and you left it running, the insurance company would say you are negligenat and not cover it. The person that stole the car would still be arrested. There's a difference between what the police do and what the insurance company will do.

Most states that experience cold weather have a law stating that leaving a running car unattended is ticket worthy. Minnesota hands those tickets out quite regularly.

You guys also have to remember that our laws usually protect the idiot more than the general public. We've all heard that if someone breaks into your house, you find him and shoot him dead as he's running from your house, to pull him inside. If you don't, his family can sue you for murder or manslaughter. It's a screwed up world we live in, thanks to crooked lawyers!!
Old 02-17-2004, 05:36 PM

Car: '89/'87/'82 "TransMaro L-81"
Engine: '82 Corvette L-81 (carbed)
I know here in FL it is illegal to leave a car running unattended, but I'm just as guilty as the next guy. However my keys WILL pull out of the ignition with it running, and I have shaved handles and locks w/ remote door poppers, so it's a little more secure than some.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:22 PM

Car: 91RS
Engine: 305tbi
I could see an insurance company refuseing to pay for damages from a theft if you left it running. But i'm sure you could file a lawsuit against the guy yourself for the cost of the damages.

That no fault law is one of the biggest loads of bull ive ever heard. If anyone I don't like has an expensive car i'm going to get them into that state somehow, and buy a $200 car just for the occasion. Hell, I think if I wasn't afraid of loosing my license I would get a huge truck and just run into people I didn't like all day long.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:50 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
Before I bought my car, the previous owner had it stolen and returned not once, but 3 TIMES!!

Well, not actually 'returned' more like 'stranded', lol... the first time it ran out of gas a block away, the next two times (2 consecutive days ) the clutch locked up on the guy within walking distance of the owners place. Every time, no damage as far as i know.

Then, the day before I bought the car, all the Z28 badges on it were stolen, except the one on the rear bumper.. some people...
Old 02-18-2004, 05:23 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 iroc-z 5.7tpi 350,
Engine: 5.7tpi 350,
Transmission: T-56 fully built WOOHOO
Originally posted by Air_Adam
Before I bought my car, the previous owner had it stolen and returned not once, but 3 TIMES!!

Well, not actually 'returned' more like 'stranded', lol... the first time it ran out of gas a block away, the next two times (2 consecutive days ) the clutch locked up on the guy within walking distance of the owners place. Every time, no damage as far as i know.

Then, the day before I bought the car, all the Z28 badges on it were stolen, except the one on the rear bumper.. some people...

my last car i bought used to be stolen than left all around town...numerous times of the week someone had a key they got a hold of one by the orignal owners it was a very confusing story... cant he change the ignition lock and door lock...sheesh good thing he didnt know where i lived :-D that was my cavy that car is long gone though