Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

fiberglass molds

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 5.slow
fiberglass molds

i want one of the 5 inch hawks spoilers but i have a vert. so i want to know how i could go about making fiberglass molds to make my own. i know it wont be very cost effective but its something i wanna try for the fun of it too. any tips would be great !
Old 01-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
If you are willing to spend alot of time you can do it. Mock up what you want with carboard and clay. Then you need that stuff you mix up and it turns into a foam. Surround the mocked up spoiler with the foam let cure. Then cut it in half pull out the carboard and clay. Then lay in the fiberglass let dry pull out. put the two half togeter and then glass the two halfs togeter.

Or just mock up the part with carboard and cover the carboard in fiberglass leaving the carboard on the inside of the fiberglass. (this is the less professional method.)

Either way, finish off with body filler, sand it, prime it with a sealer primer, x it with black paint block sand, coat with filler primer, x it again block sand repeat until your block sand removes the black without leavine spots. This will get rid of all high/low spots.

Get some rubber gloves. And expect to spend several hours/days on this.

The monster garage show where they turned the speed boat into a car showed a good way to do it by cutting it out of foam and then coating the foam with the glass, you need a special type of foam though, last time I tried that the resin meleted the foam and it turned out all wavey.

Last edited by Aviator857; 01-29-2004 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: 700R4
Great explanation...confused me...