Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

prep work???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Z-28
Engine: 356 4-bolt
Transmission: Borg warner T-5
prep work???

what is the full extent of prep work? could anyone produce a list that would consist of the task involved in prep work? just little notes that way i know ive got it all done...thanks in advance
Old 01-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Supreme Member

a smarter choice is to look up paint techniques on the net....not that there aren't enough people here to help but it's such a general question. save yourself some time and at least search here first...

Old 01-16-2004, 08:02 PM

Car: 86 camaro
Engine: 2.8 multiport cross fire injection
Transmission: 5 speed
have to know what u are lookin to get done like just paint or some grinding and filling rust or dents that kinda thing

email benoit454@yahoo.com

i might can help
Old 01-17-2004, 12:36 PM

Car: 86 Z-28
Engine: 356 4-bolt
Transmission: Borg warner T-5
no dents or rust has to be done...i just want to know what i have to do so i can roll the car to a paint shop and they can paint it....
Old 01-17-2004, 01:41 PM

Car: 86 camaro
Engine: 2.8 multiport cross fire injection
Transmission: 5 speed
ok this might be a lil long bare w/ me

1st off anything u can take out would help like taillights headlights that sorta thing less to mask off

but i understand u cant drive down the road w/o lights so that probably wont be help or apply

because a really good paint job would require removing all removables like doors hatch hood all that but more then likely unles u are spending thousands on this job they wont go to that extent

so basically just get some wamr soapy water and some 400 grit wet sand paper or finer like 1000 or more
higher number of grit finer paper gotta get wet paper

advise u to wash car really well on the outside remove al tar and dirt n grease deposits that kinda thing then do yur wet sanding

go over the whole car. hard to explain exactly how much all u are looking to do it to dull the surface of the old paint give it a haze or no shine and this removes alot of old wax buildup

so do the car throughly but not to were u like stripp all the color n paint off.

if the paint is thin in spots it may show thru the color under it which wont matter because u wil be gettin new paint

so just try sand hole thing done n make sure get close to all edges and around door handles n stuff real good
if need be wash car off let dry n if ya see really shiny spots then sand it again

alot of the times shops will just go on and do this for u also if they prime 1st then they wil use a more coarse grit paper like wet sand 220 to get alot of the old chips n stuff out of the paint

thats another main focus if u got scratches or chips need to concentrate on sanding those out to get them smooth and i woulndt recomen anything under 220 grit 220 is actually pretty rough to sand w/ then paint over because it might shows scratches so id go w/ no lower then 400 to get out imperfections

and then go over it w/ 1000 or higher/finer grits up to u on that

1000 is good tho very suficent for just dulling surface but as i said chips n scratches if thousand dont work try 400 might take awhile on the bad spots or a few sheets but itll be worth it

once yuve got it all wet sanded down thats about all u can do

when u have one painted if they dont remove taillights n that kinda stuff then they just mask off what u dont want painted liek the lights and again u cant really do that if u gotta drive yur car there

so wet sanding is about all u can do then to get it ready

because that just leaves the maskin for them to do then they wipe it off w/ prepsal which removes dirt n grease n wax from it then they spray it

anymore ?s just ask or email me hope that helps if ya cant understand it then im sorry im bad at typing lol.

mainly just some warm soapy water some 1000 grit wet paper and wet sand whole car

got chips/scratches/any other bad spots or imperfections in yur paint on it now wet sand em out w/ 400 grit best to use this paper on a rubber sanding block to

to avoid any risk or waves or finger marks in the paint
but isnt really nessicary but wouldnt hurt or be a bad idea