Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.
View Poll Results: Would you buy this conversion kit for your Trans Am???
Yes
14.29%
No
25.71%
Depends on Price
8.57%
Need to see a Pic first
57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

*****Headlight Conversion, Non-Flip up Lights for ur 3rd Gen T/A*****

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI w/ Many Modifications
Transmission: 700R4 with Shift Kit & Racing Shifter
*****Headlight Conversion, Non-Flip up Lights for ur 3rd Gen T/A*****

Wanna get rid of those pop up lights??? I know that they are a trademark for the Trans Am, but wouldnt you just wanna try not having to go one winter with only having one headlight go up or down correctly??? As being a fellow Trans am owner for the past 2 & 1/2 years, i know of such problems. You may have seen these lights on the beautiful Linkenfelter Corvette, which are 2 seperate lights, one being low beam and one being high beam. Ive been trying to fix this problem for almost 2 years now, and I cant seem to fix it, and i dont wanna spend $200 on remanufactured headlight motors, which will end up breaking down in the near future anyway. Stop this problem now, and these will last u for many years. Increase the value of ur car with these amazing new kits. I want to organize a group buy if many people are interested.

I really need ur input on this matter. I am involved with someone that can produce these lights for us. Im not sure if its the lights, or just the conversion kit (which is ok becuz we can buy the lights from any Pep Boys), but it definetly is worth a shot. I am committing myself and my car to be the project car for this procedure. These lights, after being mass produced, will be sold on every 3rd Gen website, including E-Bay, so be one of the first to own one of the rare and newly developed headlight conversions. Make ur car stand out, if not at car shows, than in the street or even ur neighborhood or driveway.

Unfortunetly i dont have any pics, but if uve read this far i guess u already know that they arent in production yet. I also dont know the price or even a range of prices, but I am paying the first initial price, which people know is the most expensive. What i need from u guys and girls is input and opinions about this kit. Let me know if u think it is a good idea, and if any of u are interested in making ur car stand out, as I am.

Also check out my car on Car Domain, http://www.cardomain.com/id/parrypapari .
As u can see, I maintain my car very well, even though I have a few scratches here and there, well whos doesnt.

PLEASE CHECK BACK TO SEE UPDATED OPINIONS, POSTS, PICS, AND HOPEFULLY A PRICE. WITHOUT UR INPUT, I CANT DO ANYTHING

Last edited by PaRrY PaPaRi; 01-14-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:44 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i like the pop up lights, its part of having a firebird.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
I'd like to delete mine.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:57 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: Can you say stroke?!?!
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
You know, PIAA used to make a conversion for the Fiero that may work in the TA/Firebird/GTA's. I'm not sure if they still make it but that could be another option too.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:42 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
I can understand your desire to convert your pop-up headlights to fixed headlights in a clear plastic shroud. I just want to let you know that $200 for a re-manufactured or new 1987-92 Firebird headlight actuation motor would ba a waste of $190. I sell two kits to repair these headlight actuation units. The 207280 kit consists of just the 3 Delrin inserts youd need to repair one headlight unit and retails for $5.50. The 209280 deluxe headlight repair kit contains 6 Delrin inserts, gaskets, two zinc plated screws & nuts (in case you break off any while repairing them) and white lithium grease (enough parts to repair two headlights) and retails for $18.50. Both kits also have detailed illustrated instructions.

Also, I have no Idea what a "Linkenfelter Corvette" is. If you meant Lingenfelter Corvette, I don't see any such headlight conversion available from LPE (Lingenfelter Performance Engineering). I did find a rather pricey headlight conversion kit available from Ecklers Corvette for the 1997-2004 'Vettes.

Lon Salgren
Top-Down Solutions

Old 01-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Banned

Car: Trans am
i dont know, the car looks better during the day with the down than it would with them showing, if it looked cool and wasnt too much i would think about buying them , but right now i like how it looks with now lights showing.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Banned

heres a look at a 4th gen with them and then stock . they kinda look funny.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
Where?
Old 01-13-2004, 02:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1983 Daytona Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Nope... I love my stock headlights..
Old 01-13-2004, 02:46 PM

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 383 Miniram AFR195
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt/3.70
Originally posted by MdFormula350
i like the pop up lights, its part of having a firebird.
Wurd.

-Schultzy
Old 01-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Banned

here's the pic
Attached Thumbnails *****Headlight Conversion, Non-Flip up Lights for ur 3rd Gen T/A*****-no-pop-ups.jpg  
Old 01-13-2004, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by lonsal
I can understand your desire to convert your pop-up headlights to fixed headlights in a clear plastic shroud. I just want to let you know that $200 for a re-manufactured or new 1987-92 Firebird headlight actuation motor would ba a waste of $190. I sell two kits to repair these headlight actuation units. The 207280 kit consists of just the 3 Delrin inserts youd need to repair one headlight unit and retails for $5.50. The 209280 deluxe headlight repair kit contains 6 Delrin inserts, gaskets, two zinc plated screws & nuts (in case you break off any while repairing them) and white lithium grease (enough parts to repair two headlights) and retails for $18.50. Both kits also have detailed illustrated instructions.

Also, I have no Idea what a "Linkenfelter Corvette" is. If you meant Lingenfelter Corvette, I don't see any such headlight conversion available from LPE (Lingenfelter Performance Engineering). I did find a rather pricey headlight conversion kit available from Ecklers Corvette for the 1997-2004 'Vettes.

Lon Salgren
Top-Down Solutions

I understand that u have a kit to fix those, but there would have never been a kit if they hadnt broke in the first place. wut im telling u is that these will be well constructed and well designed, and excuse me the "Lingenfelter Corvette" had those lights, if u saw the issue of Car & Driver with the Twin Turbo Corvette, i think they actually called them "Reptile Lights" becuz the whole car was green and black

anyway, i just wanted to know how people would react to this, i will post a pic soon since i see people really wanna see a pic first

thanks for ur interest, keep the opinions coming

Last edited by PaRrY PaPaRi; 01-13-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:36 PM

Car: 87 trans am
Engine: 305 carb
Transmission: t5
i agree with nolan about the way it looks during the day, but i would like something different. i like the idea of having the lights only pop up half the way, i would definately buy that conversion.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Banned

yeah i wish i could do the thing like one of the guys on this site did with his lights, they only pop up half way and he used smaller lights . it looked cool, but like anything i would buy i have to see it first .
Old 01-13-2004, 07:29 PM

Car: 87 formie
Engine: none
Transmission: none
i <3 stockers. its the one way for the general public around me to stop refering to every thirdgen bird as a camaro
Old 01-13-2004, 07:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
I like the stock ones just fine and wouldn't change them, and with the way they are cut into the car being almost square, it wouldn't look as good as the corvett does, to pull it off you would need a differentlly designed hood, otherwise its going to look like an after thought, but I beleive form seeing on these boards that you would have a market, although probably small, this of course is the reason the aftermarket body conversions for our cars just aren't around, and those that are around are twice as expensive as on other cars. There is someone on these boards that have done this though, he made it all though.

Also I have had lons kit (top down solutions) in my car for over a year now and they are great, before that I had made a repair for it that had lasted 2 years and that was by just making the inserts out of duct tape LOL. The problem was what GM used to make these inserts in the first place did not stand up to grease/vibration and other stresses, I think the stuff lon is using will last for a very long time, and at 6 dollars and an hour or two, if not I will just fix them every time they re-break, but I don't think they will.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:24 PM

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 5.7 L98
Transmission: 700R4
Check This Headlight Conversion Out!

I found this car surfing the net.It is heavily modded and gives you an idea of the headlight conversion.Enjoy...

Last edited by Dark Man C; 01-13-2004 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 13 Ram 1500/ 78 Formy
Engine: 5.7 / 7.4
Transmission: 6sp / TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.55 posi / 3.23
yup, RedRaif's car. Sh'e had a lot of stuff done to it.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:27 PM

although RedRaif's lights are also really nice, i wasnt talking about lights like those, and i hope that people dont think that is wut they look like. this is a little more of wut the headlights will look like, but with a plastic housing around them to protect ur headlights from leaks and blowouts

This pic is Copyrighted from ProbeAddiction.com and i advise u not to use this for personal use. Please have the decency to leave this pic alone
Attached Thumbnails *****Headlight Conversion, Non-Flip up Lights for ur 3rd Gen T/A*****-xtc-conversion.jpg  

Last edited by PaRrY PaPaRi; 01-13-2004 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:09 AM

Car: 1991 Formula (sold)
above example looks r!cey to me

I use the stock lower driving lights for the most part. unless I had a beer/s then I use proper lighting
Attached Thumbnails *****Headlight Conversion, Non-Flip up Lights for ur 3rd Gen T/A*****-91-croped-2.jpg  
Old 01-14-2004, 01:18 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Originally posted by azraelpins i would like something different. i like the idea of having the lights only pop up half the way
Attached Thumbnails *****Headlight Conversion, Non-Flip up Lights for ur 3rd Gen T/A*****-done.jpg  
Old 01-14-2004, 08:42 AM
Banned

dead bird how is the lighting on that thing with those lights. I would love to do something liek that , thats awesome.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:59 AM

Wanna get rid of those pop up lights??? I know that they are a trademark for the Trans Am, but wouldnt you just wanna try not having to go one winter with only having one headlight go up or down correctly??? As being a fellow Trans am owner for the past 2 & 1/2 years, i know of such problems. You may have seen these lights on the beautiful Linkenfelter Corvette, which are 2 seperate lights, one being low beam and one being high beam. Ive been trying to fix this problem for almost 2 years now, and I cant seem to fix it, and i dont wanna spend $200 on remanufactured headlight motors, which will end up breaking down in the near future anyway. Stop this problem now, and these will last u for many years. Increase the value of ur car with these amazing new kits. I want to organize a group buy if many people are interested.

I really need ur input on this matter. I am involved with someone that can produce these lights for us. Im not sure if its the lights, or just the conversion kit (which is ok becuz we can buy the lights from any Pep Boys), but it definetly is worth a shot. I am committing myself and my car to be the project car for this procedure. These lights, after being mass produced, will be sold on every 3rd Gen website, including E-Bay, so be one of the first to own one of the rare and newly developed headlight conversions. Make ur car stand out, if not at car shows, than in the street or even ur neighborhood or driveway.

Unfortunetly i dont have any pics, but if uve read this far i guess u already know that they arent in production yet. I also dont know the price or even a range of prices, but I am paying the first initial price, which people know is the most expensive. What i need from u guys and girls is input and opinions about this kit. Let me know if u think it is a good idea, and if any of u are interested in making ur car stand out, as I am.

Also check out my car on Car Domain, http://www.cardomain.com/id/parrypapari .
As u can see, I maintain my car very well, even though I have a few scratches here and there, well whos doesnt.

PLEASE CHECK BACK TO SEE UPDATED OPINIONS, POSTS, PICS, AND HOPEFULLY A PRICE. WITHOUT UR INPUT, I CANT DO ANYTHING

Last edited by PaRrY PaPaRi; 01-14-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Banned

but wouldnt you just wanna try not having to go one winter with only having one headlight go up or down correctly
just dont drive your car in the winter, thirdgens are not made for winter no matter how much u argue, yeah u put weight in the back or snow tires, just dont drive the car in the snow, buy a winter beater. I can't believe people drive thirdgens in the winter.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:37 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
I guess I shouldn't tell you my camaro is my winter beater then
We don't have outrageous winteres here anyways though (it was 50° today).

I haven't had the car out at night (since it's not really leagal to drive) but, the beam pattern appears to be a little more focused than my camaro. As far as lighting, it will be the same as a 93-95 (?) camaro since they are the same lamps they use.
On the post about this, someone found that you can break the sealer on the lamp and swap the bulb out for a dual element one which would take care of having to have a seperate high beam.

As far as the fixed lamps, awhile back a fellow 3rdgenner tried his hand at it an the results are as follows...
http://www.geocities.com/jptaylor2/FIREBIRD.html
I'd personally rather have the stock pop-ups or something like redraif did over fixed lamps that completely replace the headlamp unit. But, that's just my opinion...
Old 01-14-2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by nolanr0413
just dont drive your car in the winter, thirdgens are not made for winter no matter how much u argue, yeah u put weight in the back or snow tires, just dont drive the car in the snow, buy a winter beater. I can't believe people drive thirdgens in the winter.
Damn straight. I don't even like to drive my 'bird in the rain. (Although, it doesn't snow in hawaii anyway.)

I got my '79 K5 blazer for bad weather.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:15 AM

Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: 305 LG4 :(
Transmission: 700r4 :(
ATTENTION ALL MODS THIS POST SOUNDS LIKE ADVERTISING TO ME! HINT HINT

-tom :lala:
Old 01-17-2004, 12:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA Notchback