Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

headlight help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5spd :)
headlight help

i recently noticed my right headlight (from sitting in drivers seat) was noticably dimmer then the left. we replaced them with sylvania silverstars and they are much brighter. however the right one is still dimmer then the left in normal and bright settings. the right turn signal is also messed up. it does not "blink" as fast as the left one, also the turn signal arrow above the gauges stays lit when the lights are on. but when you put the turn signal on it will go to black. is this a possible fuse or gound problem? all help is welcomed -chris

please disregard!!!!! i need to put this in the electronics section. my apologies

Last edited by speedy21cvb; 01-06-2004 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Banned
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85 IROC-Z
Engine: magflatoVE
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" 411
Welcome to the board.
Headlight: it's quite possible that you have a corroded connection which is causing higher resistance and a drop in voltage. Check the ground too.

Signal light: It could be the wrong bulb. you might have the bulb with higher wattage which is causing it to heat up the flasher faster and cause it to blink faster or it could be a bad flasher

Signal arrow: I think the wire is shorted to ground.
Hopefully this will help
Old 01-06-2004, 09:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
I just dealt with this problem the other day. There is a ground wire tucked under the lip where the headlight sits, on the engine side of the radiator support, in between the two lights. It is either loose (like mine was), broken, or corroded. Fix it.
Also, before you try to fix this, if the right headlight gets brighter when you turn the right turn signal to the "on" position, then it is definitely the ground I mentioned. It will be right in line with the center screw of the air cleaner and is a 10mm machine screw.

Oh, and another funny thing about this is that if you unplug the left headlight and turn the switch to the "park lamps" position, the right lamp will pop up and the park lamp will not go on. It is very weird...

Last edited by Maverick H1L; 01-06-2004 at 09:17 PM.