Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

How much should it cost for a new window??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 10:27 PM
Ant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-z 1994 Z28 LT1
Engine: 5.7 Liter L98 Tuned Port Injection 5.7 LT1
Transmission: 700R4 and 4L60E
How much should it cost for a new window??

I was wondering if anyone had an idea on how much it costs to fix a door window on a thirdgen camaro because i went to a glass shop and they quoted me 300 dollars. That sounds kinda high to me. Just recently someone just broke into my camaro by breaking my window and taking my cd player and subs.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:13 AM
Pew

Car: 90 camaro
Engine: 355
Transmission: t10
Axle/Gears: 9" with 4.88's
You could try doin it your self to save ya some money they arn't all that hard to do. And you could pick up a window at the junk yard for probally 10 bucks or so.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:15 AM

I agree. Don't go to a glass place. Go to a junkyard and get one. If there is a junkyard in your area that will let you go and pull the part yourself, go there. That way, you can see how it comes out and goes back in. It's not very hard to do. Also, if you do screw something up taking it out, it's a junkyard car! Just look to make sure that the window you get doesn't have a bunch of scratches or acid rain pock marks. The window I got after some sack of sh*t broke into my GTA had acid rain marks on it and I didn't realize it until after I got it tinted. It's not too noticeable though. I've learned lots out at the junkyard. Sorry to hear you got robbed. I'm guessing they didn't catch the guys. May of this year, somebody broke into my wife's Cadillac and stole EVERYTHING. They even took the air freshener on the mirror. Not only that, but they busted out a back window, took a knife to the dash, bashed the glovebox in, etc. She had a decent Sony CD player in it. They hit 21, yes, 21 other cars in my apartment complex that night. Supposed to be the safest apartments in OKC. The security guard supposedly never saw a thing. So, I took the CD player out of my GTA and put it in her Caddyy. It took me a while to repair all the damage. All our cars are paid off and we just have liability. I was really pissed. So, I bought a new Kenwood system for my GTA with satellite radio. It wasn't two months later when I was getting ready for work early one morning in June that my neighbor was beating on my door. I knew something was going on so I grabbed my gun and went to the door. She said somebody was inside my Trans Am right now! So, I went running out the door, but another neighbor lady was already chasing them off with a bat. They were already driving off. Probably a good thing because I WOULD have shot them. Just as I watched them pull out of the parking lot, a cop caught them! I was getting ready to go chase myself. But the cops chased them through town until they wrecked their car, which was stolen by the way, and they tried to fight the cops. The cops worked them over really good. It was awesome. Kudos to the cops! I got all my stuff back the next day, but it was covered in fingerprint powder. I finally had to go to court a couple weeks ago to testify against this scumbag, but he didn't show up. What a shocker. So, they said they were going to arrest him and set bail so high that nobody would ever get him out. I really hate these wastes of human flesh that do stuff like this. Sorry for the rant. Matt
Old 12-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Ant

Car: 1989 Iroc-z 1994 Z28 LT1
Engine: 5.7 Liter L98 Tuned Port Injection 5.7 LT1
Transmission: 700R4 and 4L60E
It's kinda funny because i have a driver side door on the side of my house with a window in it. I was going to use it for my old camaro but that is a long story. All I need to know is how to get it off I went and took a look and it looks like four screws but i dont know for sure if i can get it out because the window is rolled all the way down and it is has power windows.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

I've never changed on with power windows but have done manual ones before. It isn't too difficult, just hard to reach some things. The actual glass replacement is just drilling out a few rivets, swapping the new window in for the old, and replacing the rivets with bolts.