Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Please help on what kind of material/paint to use for this

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91RS
Engine: 305tbi
Transmission: 700R4
Please help on what kind of material/paint to use for this

I haven't seen anything like what I want to do yet, although i'm sure its been done.
I bough a CD player for my 91RS camaro, of course it doesn't fit in the factory opening. For right now its just hanging out there kind of shoved into the hole because I was planning on doing somthing other than buying the adapter. My thoughs were that I would make some sort of encloure for it and mount it in the center under the vents.
After thats done ive got a huge hole in the middle of my console. What I plan on doing with that is making a piece that I can use for switchs/guages.
Basically my question is what kind of materials do you think would be best suited for this? Wood, wook coated in bondo or fiberglass, some kind of fiberglass mold kit (I have no experiance in this), or just sheetmetal. What kind of paint or coloring meathod do you think I could use that wouldn't look completley out of place.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:24 AM
Supreme Member

Car: GM & Jaguar
Engine: Various
Transmission: Various
Axle/Gears: Various
I think that's a pretty cool idea. You can get aftermarket pods for single din decks, I think that'd be the way to go for the deck. My home boy had a '69 Chevelle but didn't want to chop his dash up, so he had this sleek little pod mounted under the dash; it has a small lip around the perimiter, I'm sure you could measure it up and see if you could just bolt it to the bottom of the vents. Where he got it I'm not sure of, but check that out and see what you can find there. As far as covering the hole, I would just use a flat sheet of black plastic. What I've used in the past for simialar purposes are RadioShack project enclosure lids. They have a nice finish, and are a nice thick plasic. They have some pretty large boxes available, so that's what I'd investigate. Otherwise fiberglass would be slick to do some custom shizzle, but for a simple plan that should be real clean, I'd go for the pod for the deck, and a project enclosure lid cut to fit. Good luck and post what you come up with!

EDIT: For paint; if you use metal, I'd suggest "GM Satin black", not too glossy, but not too dull (or semi-gloss equivalent), if for plastic, Krylon makes a new "Fusion" line of paints that bonds to plastic real well, but it's only available in gloss black.

Last edited by tpiroc; 12-19-2003 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:10 AM

Car: 91RS
Engine: 305tbi
Transmission: 700R4
Thanks, any idea where to get one of those pods, ive been looking and cannot find anything.