Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

fiberglass console

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Camaro
Engine: 350
Transmission: th350
fiberglass console

ok over winter i decided im gonnat ry to make a fiberglass center console...i still am not sure if i am gonna make like a wooden skeleton and cover it or make a styrofoam mold....this is my first time doing anything big with fiberglass....i only used it once before to fix a plastic interior panel....so...give me your opinions on what you think i should do...like how to make cupholders....also any websites would be appreciated too...i did search and found a few sites on general fiberglassing stuff.....just trying to get as much reading up done as possible before the weekend comes
Old 12-17-2003, 09:09 PM

Car: 83 Camaro
Engine: 350
Transmission: th350
comon guys....i just need some ideas...mainly....things to add...and how to do cupholders
Old 12-18-2003, 02:07 PM

Here's an idea- cut a section out of a console from another car and graft them into the new fiberglass section. Look around a junkyard and find some that you like and incorporate them into your design. You may be able to use other elements from other cars too- like a console box, heater controls, ashtrays, etc. It might be easier to do this then do one completely from scratch, but either way, it's gonna take some work to make it look good.

Cool idea-
Old 12-19-2003, 06:42 AM

Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: 305 Carb
Transmission: 700R4
I have thought about doing this myself, but not sure that I have time right now to do it right. Considering the 4th gen swap instead, just need to find a 6 speed version that is reasonably priced. None of the local yards around here have any.

As to your question, you might want to try checking out Wal-mart(or similar) for cupholders that you could incorporate into the design. I know that I have seen some that would work for what you are attempting, just can't remember for sure where.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:07 AM

Here's one for ya...

To make an easy cup holder without to much tearing up, go to the dollor store and buy hard plastice tumblers, two of them. Take and cut them about 4-5 inches deep and paint the black inside and out, being carefull not to create runs on the inside.

Nest remove your center console ****er plate. (this should also remove the ash tray too. now carfully cut the two in half along the dviding line. between the shifter plate and the ash tray plate. then you need to locate an extra flate console piece (most likely from the area between the arm rest and your switches. Get this for a few bucks at a junk yard. now out of that cut a trapazoid shape piece that measures the same as the one you from the ashtray so that it fits nicly down in the space the ashtray came out of. then set the cup bottoms over that piece and trace the bottom outline. Cut out the hole then eppoxy the glass rims to the bottom of th panel. touch up the paint where needed... And screw the panel back in.

Now this is only good for like 20oz cans and stuff that size...