Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Rear Hatch Shade

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 07:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Trans Am "GTA"
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Rear Hatch Shade

I was wondering if anyone had this problem before & what's the best way to fix it.
My REAR HATCH SHADE won't stay on, I guess is weak so as soon as I close the hatch it rolls back.
I don't want to buy a used one because it might be the same thing, plus the one I have is mint, so I would like to fix it.
Is there any way of fixing it?
Any imput would be awsome.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:41 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
If it rolls back up when you close the hatch, I would not call it weak. Probably what is wrong is that either the two posts that hook to the plastic trim at the back of the hatch are worn or the holes in the plastic trim are shot allowing the shade to fall down and retract when you close thee hatch.

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 357 Likes on 271 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End
The Hatch shade is actualy "longer" than the space it takes up across the hatch. When installing it you must "push" on the cover (to make it shorter) and then place it in the brackets. It should 'expand' to full length again once centered in the brackets.

I have a old hatch shade covering my woodpile and will take a look at it to see if I can figure out a way to get it to "expand" the right way again. That one has 1 end busted off of it & the internal spring was also boke so it would not "roll-up" anymore.

All That has no effect on the shade roll-up. It's easy to fix a shade that will not roll up,......... they are made just like a house shade. You just have to re-roll the shade and place more pre-loaded tension on the spring. ( if the spring is not broken of coarse ! )

Alex, It sounds like the 2 mounting holes (or slots) on your hatchback are bent of damaged. That seems to be the only reason the 2 mounting pegs on the hatch shade handle would ever loose contact with the hatch. Did your car originally have the hatch shade installed ??? The original installations had hatch trim with a piece of steel in it. If your using a regular hatch trim than the 2 mounting pegs on the hatch shade handle might only be held to the hatch by the plastic trim. ( only plastic & no steel = week mounting)