Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

race harness?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 07:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
race harness?

those with "race" seats in their thirdgen....how did you go about removing the stock seat belt and making it look decent or did you leave it?
Old 11-25-2003, 08:47 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
Hey Jeff, when I installed the cage and 5 point, I was able to bolt the one lap belt into the factory hole by the console, I had to make a notch in the plastic cover on the rocker panels so it'd come out against the seat to look better, the sub belt you naturally have to drill a hole and do the plate sandwich up front, I cant get a visual what hid the "old" shoulder harness and the cars put up right now. I dont think the shoulder strap from the factory bolts through the plastic pillar in the side of the car does it? Oh, got the car on E-bay, so if anybodies lookin send 'em that way. Need to build the garage and start a different project-thinkin a Lumina Z-34 with the pro street theme for the next one.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:33 AM

Car: '82 Trans Am
Engine: Blown 540 BBC
Transmission: TH475
Axle/Gears: Dana 60, 4.10 w/spool
While I don't have race seats in my car, I do have 5 point harnesses in mine. I took the factory retractors out of the ceiling and had the headliner completely redone to cover the openings. I didn't use the factory lap belt anchor points (mine go to the ladder bar crossmember), and I just left the rocker sill panel openings there. While it doesn't look that bad, it would probably look worse if anything was done to cover it. I do have extra carpet material on the backside though, so it isn't just an open hole.

MCM
Old 11-26-2003, 11:56 AM
IHI
Supreme Member

Ahhh, that's right. I redid my headliner and covered the existing hole with duct tape then laid over the new material. That way all is hidden and concealed. Thanks for the memory kick Here's a poor shot of the sill plate so you get the idea of what it looks like. IMO it's cleaner than having the opening showing.
Attached Thumbnails race harness?-bird-final-pics.-007.jpg  
Old 11-26-2003, 11:57 AM
IHI
Supreme Member

another view, nothing showing up close and personal though
Attached Thumbnails race harness?-bird-after-photos-005.jpg  
Old 11-26-2003, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro
Engine: 355ci
Transmission: TKO-600 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt
IHI could you PLEASE stop posting pics of your car. You keep making me jealous!
Old 11-26-2003, 03:33 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Hey, it's for sale on ebay I just try to help things with pictures as I not the best at explaining things with words
Old 11-26-2003, 08:40 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by IHI
Hey, it's for sale on ebay I just try to help things with pictures as I not the best at explaining things with words
For sale eh, oh wait im broke that doesnt do me any good. Why are you selling her its such a beautiful car!
Old 11-26-2003, 09:20 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 19doug90
For sale eh, oh wait im broke that doesnt do me any good. Why are you selling her its such a beautiful car!
All my toys, projects have been short lived ever since i can remember-get bored easily. I do enjoy this car but we bought a new house and this one is in a great growing suburb, BUT it needs new siding, windows, roof and most importantly OUT BUILDINGS!!! I've got my business equipment in a big rental building, all my tools, welder, and fun stuff are in 4 other guys garages and I have no place to work on my stuff unless I grab this from here and take it there then find out i forgot this and have to go back for that, etc... So I need to get the house ship shape-bought from mother and it;s only 18 yrs old and she aint changed nothing sincce she bought it new so it's extremely outdated by my standards. I want to use the huge amount of equity I'll have once the house is up to snuff to finally build the shop of my dreams, then I can get to work on my next real project. Right now I have my sights set on running with the Outlaw cars and really like the looks of the Lumina Z-34 for the base car or if I can score a newer Lincoln Mark 8-seen one at nationals and about died it was cherry and had Hot Rod Lincoln badges on the front fenders I need to go faster even though this next project will obviously take some years to complete unless i win the lottery, but would definatly like to have something of a different breed. No offense to anybody, but camaro's and firebirds are every other car you see on the street and especially at the track so having something different has always been more my style...but have to get my MAN CASTLE built first. Just lucky I own a construction business and get all the house stuff at cost and have alot of hook ups otherwise the equity I will have would not exist if I had to pay somebody to do the work for me. Homes you can recoup your money-cars...yeah right, I've got xxx in it, now trying to get half is almost unrealistic, that's just the nature of toys. and if I dont sell it, no sweat I'll just keep dumping money into it until I really cant sell it!
Old 11-27-2003, 07:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
here's mine...
Attached Thumbnails race harness?-interior5.jpg  
Old 11-27-2003, 05:05 PM

Car: 1986/88 Frankenstein Trans Am
Engine: carbed L98
Transmission: T-5
can a 5-point harness be installed without a roll cage?
Old 11-27-2003, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Trans_AM_88
can a 5-point harness be installed without a roll cage?
i remember reading of a guy who somehow bolted it to the floor behind the seat and it wrapped around, other than that i cant think of a way itd be possible.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:35 PM

Car: 1986/88 Frankenstein Trans Am
Engine: carbed L98
Transmission: T-5
Originally posted by Makaveli
i remember reading of a guy who somehow bolted it to the floor behind the seat and it wrapped around, other than that i cant think of a way itd be possible.
is that safe though? if there was an accident wouldnt it be possible that the belt could crush the seat? wouldnt the force of the driver (when the car stops but the driver keeps going forward) pull the shoulder straps forward creating a downward pull on the seat?

i drew a crude picture of what im talking about lol
Attached Thumbnails race harness?-5.pnt.crash.jpg  
Old 11-27-2003, 06:41 PM

thats exactly what i was thinking, so i dont know if i am imagining reading this, or if i read it wrong, im searching to see if its around lol.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:44 PM

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...ithout+rollbar

i think DM91rs's reply in that post with the angle thing really makes that floor mount idea not work, so i must have read something wrong

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...ithout+rollbar

it shows Superman's harness, and he says its mounted to the floor. i knew i wasnt going insane, for it being unsafe however, i have no clue.

Last edited by Makaveli; 11-27-2003 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:59 PM
Supreme Member

well i'm not sure about the cage idea so if i have to leave the stock belts in i will....however it would look a little funny but i guess it would work.

Old 11-28-2003, 09:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
you could mount them to the floor behind the REAR seats. if you secure the strap to the space between the bottom of the seat and the seat back of the rear seats, then it would be NHRA legal and it would be safe. but you loose all functionality of the rear seats.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
I'm using the Schroth harnesses. These are the only D.O.T. approved harnesses if you plan to use them on the street.

The Scroth harnesses are also pretty easy to mount. The metal hardware is bendable so you can contour it and it's less clunky than say Corbeau or Sparco.

I left the factory seat belts in place for daily driving and only use the Schroth harnesses for canyon runs or track time. Schroth recommends this as well. I mounted the lap belts to the factory bolt locations and mounted the rear tail strap to the rear lap belt bolts. The tail strap unbuckles from the shoulder straps so you can use the back seat and tilt the front seat forward if need be.

Last edited by BretD 88GTA; 11-29-2003 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

Isn't that uncomfortable sitting on the buckles for the 5 point though? I've never sat in a setup like that, but it looks like it would place the buckles right under your tailbone and into your lower back.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:01 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by onebinky
Isn't that uncomfortable sitting on the buckles for the 5 point though? I've never sat in a setup like that, but it looks like it would place the buckles right under your tailbone and into your lower back.
ummm maybe i dont understand what youre saying but lets go over the basics of seatbelts. The way a seatbelt works is it wraps around the driver.....if the seatbelt went behind the driver "underneath his tail bone and up his back" it wouldnt be doing any good. The middle strap comes up through the middle of your legs and clips into the center section.....
Old 11-29-2003, 04:08 PM
Supreme Member

you misread it....quit jumping to conclusions.

all he is assuming is that BretD 88GTA leaves the harness in at all times. onebinky i'm sure that he unbuckles them out of the way; that wouldn't be very comfortable.

BretD 88GTA what do you do with the harness? also what model seats are those and if you don't mind where did you get them from?
Old 11-29-2003, 06:09 PM
Hg
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Z
Engine: 355 in the works
Transmission: 700R4
Looks kinda like the sparco torino
Old 11-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Kat
Supreme Member

Car: Camaro Vert
Engine: 355 HSR
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 S60
If you are going to mount the harness to the floor. I'd suggest welding atleast a 6" x 6" 1/4" steel plate to the floor. That thin *** sheet metal the car is made out of, I don't think that it will be able to handle the pressure of a bolt on it, if ya got into a accident.

Or you can just put a 4 point bar in with the corss bar and mount the harness to that.

Kat
Old 11-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Iroc-Z28
Engine: FB385
Transmission: 700r4
Yeah, those are the torinos. Should be on ebay for like $495-$575 a piece from what i have seen. The places also look like "respectable" places to buy from too. Not just sellers, but stores. I have been thinking about it but can not commit! lol
Old 11-29-2003, 10:31 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Kandied91z
BretD 88GTA what do you do with the harness? also what model seats are those and if you don't mind where did you get them from?
I have the harness belts folded off around the sides of the seat for daily use. I can't even tell they are there and there's no discomfort. I also picked up some inexpensive seat covers at Pep Boys ($20) that fit the Sparco's really well to help keep the seat clean during daily use.

As for the seat itself, it is a brand new Sparco Torino that I bought on eBay for $495 + CA sales tax and $30 shipping. The seller was J&F Auto Accessories and they usually have a Buy-It-Now auction listed for the Sparco Torino seats. Their seller ID on eBay is wwwsupra-sportcom.

If you're looking for a better deal beware of some private sellers on eBay. I bought a second seat from a private party seller in an attempt to save about $70. The guy claimed his seat was only 2 weeks old and he never used it. Well, when it arrived it reeked of cigarettes, had a small hole in it, a faint stain on the cushion, and also smelled like cat urine. It was also clear that it was an older design or from an old production run as it didn't match my seat from J&F.

When I contacted the seller to let him know how pissed I was, he admitted that he had used the seat briefly in his car but he wouldn't tell me where he got the seat. Fortunately, he was very co-operative and I returned the seat and he gave me a refund. I did however end up eating ALL the shipping costs. In the end it cost me like $65 for the experience. Live and learn I guess. I will be going back to J&F for the passenger side seat.

Last edited by BretD 88GTA; 11-29-2003 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:09 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 19doug90
ummm maybe i dont understand what youre saying but lets go over the basics of seatbelts. The way a seatbelt works is it wraps around the driver.....if the seatbelt went behind the driver "underneath his tail bone and up his back" it wouldnt be doing any good. The middle strap comes up through the middle of your legs and clips into the center section.....
"I left the factory seat belts in place for daily driving and only use the Schroth harnesses for canyon runs or track time. "

You know what they say about ***-u-me ing, don't you?
Old 12-04-2003, 05:43 PM
Supreme Member

BretD 88GTA i sent you a pm. i like the sparco seats look wise but i can't find a dealer here in michigan to actually sit in one??

i was able to find a place that deals in corbeau and had all their models in the showroom to try. the cr1 which is similar to the torino like your own has alot less support then the trs or milano 2 style seat. i like the torino look but i want something that is more comfortable then my 4thgen seats so if they are anything like the cr1 i want to go up a step.

my problem there lies on choice. i can get the trs in leather with tracks for about 800 even for the set. the best i can do on the milano 2 is almost twice that....

anyone have any suggestions or a place to find sparco even slightly cheaper. building cars for quite awhile i've learned that you get what you pay for but when the product is 2-3 times more i'm a little questioned as to how much better. i don't want to pay for a name because it was in a movie, yet at the same time if it's worth the money then it might be a better idea.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:06 AM

why do people spend the kind of money on corbeau and sparco seats, when.. the ones that are even like.. 500, the side walls aren't that big..? so.. you can still slide a bit..

when i get my setup.. which i won't do until i get the cage in my car, due to I don't want my spine being crushed and be ending up paralized, or even killed, due to not having the seatbelts mounted correctly.. anyways, when i get that in, and i get seats, i'm going with tenzo R racing seats, the side walls, even on the bottom, are quite tall, so you won't move an inch. plus, they are pretty inexpensive.

btw, i read nothing in this post, cept for the here and there thing w/ the sweet makeshift drawing of the seatbelt setup, gj whoever. reason i didn't read is cuz there is already a billion posts of this stuff on here already, do the search. so much info on the safty issues it's not even funny.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by anubiscougar
why do people spend the kind of money on corbeau and sparco seats, when.. the ones that are even like.. 500, the side walls aren't that big..? so.. you can still slide a bit..
Well, because I drive my car everyday and I want to be able to get in and out of it without it being too much of a pain I went with Sparco. The Sparco also offers plenty of lateral support for my needs and when cinched in with the harness belts you're not going slide around. I also went with Sparco for the quality. I've had velour Corbeaus in the past an the material faded and didn't hold up to dialy use too well.

i'm going with tenzo R racing seats, the side walls, even on the bottom, are quite tall, so you won't move an inch. plus, they are pretty inexpensive.[/QUOTE]

I considered the Tenzo R seats as well as some knock-off Sparco seats simply for the price. After seeing the velour Corbeau seats not hold up too well to frequent use (not just in my car, but other's as well) I figured the cheaper seats like Tenzo or whatever wouldn't hold up too well either. Plus, the cheaper seats don't offer the range of adjustment on the seat back that Sparco does.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:07 PM
Supreme Member

those with "race" seats in their thirdgen....how did you go about removing the stock seat belt and making it look decent or did you leave it?
this is my thread and my question all of which couldn't be found in searching.....

i agree BretD 88GTA, the tenzo is as close to off the shelf of pep boys as you can get. the seat setup and design ranges greatly for what you need. the common street car doesn't need or want such a high setup. wether you drive the car alot or not if you aren't truly racing all the time it's a huge pita to have seats with that high of a setup.

even the lowest pieces on the common cr1 and torino are higher then any stock f-body seat and would work just fine for average cornering.

i also have to agree with BretD 88GTA on the material, i'm having a hell of a time deciding what to get as the corbeau model is 1/3 the price of sparco and their new tracks work very nicely. the material on the cr1 doesn't seem to hold up quite as well as it should and it looks like it's rather rushed when put together. the softer trs model is about the same. i'm considering the trs leather just because of price and comfort alone however i do like the looks of the sparco better. when comparing 1,600-1,800 to 800 or so for the corbeau that leaves alot more money for other modifications. it all comes down to comfort and practicality i guess.