Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Crap on my rear int. molding

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 08:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Crap on my rear int. molding

Theres an ok pic of it on my drivers side rear molding just infront of the tool box theres like a 3 ring stain in the plastic i've tried to clean it but nothing takes it off. Any idea of what this could be or how to get it off. I really dont want to rip it out and paint everything. IT was there when i bought it, the rear window has been broken b4 i got it could something have been resting on it or stained it like that? It's kind of a tan color
Attached Thumbnails Crap on my rear int. molding-im000578.jpg  
Old 11-18-2003, 08:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 283
Transmission: 700r4 Auto
im not sure if they make anything special for the interior pieces,im sure there is but have you tried 409 green kind (stuff works wonders on alot of things)?what about mean green? if all else fails maybe try taking a brillo pad very lightly & rubbing it with water........just a thought
Old 11-18-2003, 10:45 PM

Car: 88' Firebird
Engine: 2.8L
Transmission: 700R4
It almost looks like a fade... But if it is a stain maybe rub lightly with some acidtone? Rinse if off right after or it will fade.

Nice box btw ... you build it or buy it?
Old 11-19-2003, 04:43 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro IROC
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt posi (non 1le)
You could always just paint right over it....
Old 11-19-2003, 07:00 PM

Car: '90 RS Vert
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700-R4
Compliment

Irocbirdbuilder,

I have no idea about the stain there or what could have caused it. Your best bet is to clean it as good as you possibly can and then paint over it with plastic interior paint. You can buy paint that exactly matches your interior. I have seen it at Autozone. I have not used it myself but I know a guy who does auto reupholstery for a living and he uses it all the time. It works pretty good when you are going using the paint over the same color. The probem usually comes when you try to change colors. If you scratch the paint sometimes the base color will show through.

That's my best $.02 on that.

The main reason I posted here was to comment on your signature.

Quote --------------------
As i stood hunched over the fender fine tuning the bird I got to thinking. The last 2.5 years with this car have been the best times of my 18 year old life. I've put all the money and time I have into this car. I've gotten gf's in the car and i've lost gf's because of the car. And for what getting trophy's at car shows? Was it worth it. But bringing a smile to an old guys face and getting a thumbs up from him or seeing some little kid yelling nice car from his front yard it really gets to you. Yeah IT WAS
WORTH IT!
-----------------------------------

That is probably the best signature line I have seen on this site. At eighteen you seem to really know what it is like to own, love, drive, and maintain one of these cars. It gives me a thrill to see another well cared for Thirdgen going down the road. When I see the car I know there is probably a kindred soul in that car. We might not agree on anything else but we share that.

Great Signature!
Here's mine:
Old 11-19-2003, 08:33 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: TBI
Transmission: 700r4
I tried some scotchbrite but no luck i'm thinkin its gonna have to be painted.

Thanks for the sig comment speedgraphic, and camarogirl when i talked to her on aim the other night. I really didnt realize how much i did care for the car and all until people started commenting on the car and how good the work is for being so young. I always grew up around people looking at my dads cars and always giving him compliments becasue he has quiet the stable of mint and custom cars and my motivation was always to build something half as nice as what he does. The pics really do the car no justice when you see it in real life is when i'm like damn i went form a bone stock base firebird primer looking grey with no shine to a car that whens show but its the compliments i love getting from little kids. I remember being that age it wasnt that long ago and alot of guys are cool and some guys are dicks about it when kids wanna look at their car. I figure the more a little kid likes camaros and firebirds now the more they're gonna like me when they can drive. Was at my girls house the other day and this 8 year old that lives down the street came up and was lookign at it and i was liek you like that? he's like its cool so i let him check it out and showed him it and the smile on his face is what makes you go wow thats cool it just gets to me that i've reached the level of my dad where people are always staring or complimenting me. I knew what i wanted to build when i bought the car i just never expected it to come out the way it did. WOW that went for awhile so i'm gonna try that 409 it looks like it might be actually into the plastic itself.