Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

HELP me with Interior problems. PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 08:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 caddy PIMP
Engine: 4.8
Transmission: i dunno
HELP me with Interior problems. PLZ

Hey guys. I too own an f body. And like alot of the ones for sale. Mine needs some interior/possibly exterior work before I sell it.

1st question- Ive got a few scratches from maybe rain, tiny rocks etc. Nothing big but Id like to touch them up. I tried that touch up paint stuff but it seems to be all bubbly... ewwww..I was wondering what I would have to do to make it look a little better. Whether I could just spray over it, or If I would need to sand it and how about going through with the process.

2nd--Last winter my stupid *** brother yanked off my interior door handle. Like it broke off. How would I go about replacing it? Would I need to take off the door panel? And how would I go about doing that? Im sure its pretty easy. Ive just been lazy to get around to figuring it out.

3rd. What kinda dash besides the seats, center console shifter area would I need to take out to put in a new rug? And is it pretty easy?

I want to kinda re do some of my interior before I sell it cuz I know ppl will jew me down on some things.

I also need shocks for the hatch and hood. If anyone has any for sale. PM me or IM me. whatever.... Laterz
Old 11-15-2003, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: 355TPI 380hp
Transmission: Rebuilt 700r w/ Transgo Shift Kit
Well I think I can help you out with a few of these.

As far as your touch up paint is concerned, sorry, I've tried on several cars to make it look right, and I've never been able to. You might see if there is a local paintshop around and give them a call. Sometimes they'll know exactly how to do it right.

On the door handle problem, the first thing you need to do is take the door panel off. You need to take the 3 bolts off the armrest to get it off. Then the panel around the broken handle that has the door locks. Just unscrew the small Torx bolts but be careful, some of those are fake and you'll just round them out. Once all that stuff is out of the way, You need to pull the door panel away from the door. I always use a long flat head screw driver for leverage. After the panels loose from the door, all you have to do is push the plast trim piece down and towards the window and that should let it go. I've never done the door handle itself (atleast not in a 3rd gen), but I would assume it's held on by pop rivots. You can drill those out and that should drop the assembly and enable you to pull it out. If you need a new one, they're on eBay all the time. If you have a rivot gun, use that to put it back in, if not small nuts and bolts will be fine. And then just reverse the order to install everything back.

Ok, now for the carpet...
For the front piece, you'll need to take out seats (Front and back), seatbelts (Front and Back), console, sill plates, and maybe the kick panels (I took mine out, but can't remember if it was necessary).

For the rear piece, if you are looking for the best quality installation, you'll need to take out all the plastic trim in the back.

And I think most importantly, after you get your carpet in, leave out in the sun for a few days, it makes it easier to work with and helps shape it better. I only wish I did the same for mine.

And finally your local autoparts store should have the struts your looking for. If you are wanting to sell it, I think the struts are gonna help.