Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

need alot of help deciding where to start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 97
Engine: 3800 v6
Transmission: AUTO
need alot of help deciding where to start.

i need some help in deciding what to do and what order i should do it in.

ok, i know for sure im getting an ls1 with a t-56. i just need a little help deciding what car i should put it in. right now i got a 92 rs. its got 170,000 miles and its in decent condidion. the body looks straight and has a few dings here and there, but nothing major. the paint is all chipped up and the interior is in ok shape. i plan on going all out with this and getting a new paint job, new ss hood, high rise spoiler, 18 inch rims, and possibly redoing the interior.

my question is....should i do this to my current car or get something thats in really nice condition. im not sure if there is anything to worry about for my miles since ill be replacing everything. i dont plan on selling it in the future so im not worried about the miles for that. are there any other things that might need replacing because of my high miles(other than the axle cause i know thats got to go).

the interior is my major concern though because i dont know whats involved in redoing it. how much would it cost to replace everything in the interior? how much work is involved? weatherstripping is also a thing i know ill need to redo.

im not sure what i should do first, take it to the body shop or drop it off at the garage. i know im gonna do everything mechanically to it, but im not sure all that i want to do cosmetically. I know a killer paint job with ghost flames and some big *** 18 chrome rims is a must. the interior is still a question for me cause i like it now, but how will it look when everything else is perfect.

im thinkin i strip the engine bay then paint it. then get the ls1 in and get everything running...then get it all painted. then work on the interior as i find stuff.

money isnt a concern since i can get at least 2000 a month to spend on this, but im really eager to begin and getting another camaro for like 4000-5000 would set me back.

ok, any advice or opinions would be great. (cant talk me out of the ls1 though....i know after its an ls1 for awhile it will become an ls6)

Last edited by Drone; 11-07-2003 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:04 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 T/A
Engine: 350/LT1 Intake
Transmission: 700R4 - Built
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42
Well, time and money are the two biggest issues here.

The engine and tranny will be quite a bit.

Look at spending a couple grand on interior alone. In fact, I would reccomend buying a junked 4th gen. Swapping out the interior, electrionics, everything into your thirdgen. That would probabally cut costs considerably if you can find a deal on the junker. From there, its just teh little things. Weatherstripping, door hinges, and suspension mods.