Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

two not so great things.. can you help with one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
two not so great things.. can you help with one?

Ok, first off, to start my day off bad, going to starbucks, i took a turn a bit too fast.. and lost control, went into fence, i decided not to go to starbucks afterall. :-/ So.... i've got black marks on my body kit.. WHEW!!! NO DAMAGE. But.. you think i could buff out the black stuff?

ANYWAYS

Other than that, my steering wheel and my automatic shifter thingy.. Are both getting really bad, and whenever i put my hand on them, they like.. flake off, and... ya.. It's like little rubber chunks that come off, now they are all over my white shirt. Anybody know how to possibly make it stop? I mean, it's worn down really bad, but i thought maybe there's something i could put on it to help stop it from doing it as much.

Thanks, & imma remember to drive alittle slower going around turns on wet roads. Even tho i was probably only going about 20.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Re: two not so great things.. can you help with one?

Originally posted by anubiscougar
Ok, first off, to start my day off bad, going to starbucks, i took a turn a bit too fast.. and lost control, went into fence, i decided not to go to starbucks afterall. :-/ So.... i've got black marks on my body kit.. WHEW!!! NO DAMAGE. But.. you think i could buff out the black stuff?

ANYWAYS

Other than that, my steering wheel and my automatic shifter thingy.. Are both getting really bad, and whenever i put my hand on them, they like.. flake off, and... ya.. It's like little rubber chunks that come off, now they are all over my white shirt. Anybody know how to possibly make it stop? I mean, it's worn down really bad, but i thought maybe there's something i could put on it to help stop it from doing it as much.

Thanks, & imma remember to drive alittle slower going around turns on wet roads. Even tho i was probably only going about 20.

if it will buff out is a "try it and see" kind of thing....

theres nothing really you can do to the shifter and wheel..... you could put a steering wrap on the wheel.... or just replace it..... same with the shifter.... replace it or cover it..

now just try to keep her between the lines, shiny side up from now on.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:12 PM

Car: 1985 Black IROC-Z
Engine: 305 T.P.I (for now)
Transmission: TH700"R"4 (R for Racing)
Almost the same thing hapenned to me(long time ago),I made a fast turn went of the road, jumped the road side bump, knocked a green phone(I think) pole, and hit a water hydrant. Got back to the road and went strait home, luckily the front rite wheel hit the hydrant so the car was not damaged. The wheel did brake, so I had to replace it. The worn steering wheel and **** problem, I bought a wrap on for the steering wheel and took of the worn leather of the shifter. The round shifter looks ok(shiny black ball) and the black steering wrap on looks almost original.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 283
Transmission: 700r4 Auto
couldnt he try like WD-40 or some rubbing compound?

WD-40 is good for the tar & road grim,why not try it?
Old 11-06-2003, 02:00 PM

Car: 1981 Chevy Malibu, 1987 Formula 350
Engine: 229 V6, L98 TPI 350
Transmission: TH350, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt ???, 9 bolt 3.27 posi
steering wheel cover, junkyard shifter.....20 bucks for both of those, TOPS.
if you shop around i'm sure you could do both for under 5 lol

as for the black marks, give it a try.......
Old 11-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 283
Transmission: 700r4 Auto
stratch-x?
Old 11-06-2003, 10:30 PM

hmm, thanks for all of your inputs... i think imma just ask for a steering wheel and/or shifter for xmas, :-) i took my sister to pepboys tonight, we looked at wheels, and some other stuff... i'm wanting to get her a cold air intake for her 2004 pontiac vibe... cuz i lub her so much, :-P and i feel sorry for her 4 cylinder only having 180 hp and not being able to get up and go. :-P. But.. i showed her a steering wheel about like the one i want... Cept... the one i want is like 100 or more, and this one was only 50.. :-D.

I'll try to buff it out nexttime i wash it... the body kit(vision kit) is messed up in a few other places in the front, so imma some day have to replace it anyways, before i get a paint job(not wanting any scratches or dents, i want to turn it into a strip/show car by the time i'm like.. 28, 17 now).

thankyou again ppl., and i might just strip the shifter now, :-D sounds kinda fun, hehe.