Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Which shade of tan??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 12:50 PM

Location: Ithaca, NY - 10 sq mi surrounded by reality - I'm SOL!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI in stock trim
Transmission: T-5 w/ Hurst B/P shifter
Which shade of tan??

Am interested in getting new carpet for my 89 IROC-Z with tan interior but I'm not sure which shade of tan I have. Where can I find out?

Another thing that is driving me nuts is I can't fine my RPO code list - It must have gotten removed or something. I know the car had a broken drivers side window at some point because it is not original - am just a tiny bit worried that something bad happened and that is somehow why the RPO codes are missing from the glove box.

So, if you can help me with which color of tan I have, or if you know a way to get my original RPO code list, please let me know.

Kevin
Old 10-25-2003, 05:10 PM

Received 351 Likes on 277 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
If your car is an 89, it's "probably" Medium Beechwood. My 89 Iroc is Medium beechwood. Some people will tell you that Med. beechwood is ugly. They are wrong.:nono:

As far as color, be careful when you order. Most companies have several colors with the same name as GM colors, but ARE NOT THE SAME!!! I'd get samples from the company that you plan to use. I did.
Attached Thumbnails Which shade of tan??-beechwood.jpg  
Old 10-25-2003, 05:12 PM

...that's not my car BTW.

-It's a great pic though!
Old 10-25-2003, 07:05 PM

Car: 87 IROC
Engine: mini-rammed 350
Transmission: WC T-5
I bought my carpet from 1aauto.com,I think it was,anyways,they sent me 5 little samples of the different shades of red they thought it might be.
My rpo code was for "flame red",I was convinced from the pictures in catologs and on line that it wasnt,but after lookin at samples,sure enough,it was flame red
Old 10-25-2003, 07:37 PM

Car: 83 ta
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
get a phs packet and it will come with the build sheet for your car
Old 10-26-2003, 01:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
It is most likely med. beechwood tan, they are considered to be an ugly interior, but I traded my gray int. for tan. A tan int. in good shape & not faded is far and between, not to mention rare.

I'd have to say it's med. beechwood.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:05 AM

What color Tan?

Hey, wow, I have an 87 IROC with a tan interior and I was wondering the same thing! I need to replace the carpet, and was also gonna go thru 1aa! They publish the colors on their web site, but I haven't found a way to hold the car up to my computer screen, ha-ha! It can be doeskin, medium beige, sandalwood and camel tan! The car has the dark red exterior, the interior seems like a light gold-beige?
Old 10-26-2003, 11:20 AM

The pic that I originally posted is 100% medium Beechwood. It has the peanut buttery/caramel light brownish color plastics, as opposed this pic, which has the lighter plastics. This is the Light Doeskin. This is actually what I have in my car now. I couldn't find a good Med. Beechwood interior, so I settled for Lt. doeskin, but I've actually got a hybrid of both, which I think is pretty cool. Regardless, in the pic I attached here, you can actually see the MB plastic screw in the LD panel. See how much darker it is.

Still, no matter what color you have, getting samples is the ONLY way to go when trying to match TANS.
Attached Thumbnails Which shade of tan??-hatchseatpic.jpg  
Old 10-26-2003, 11:28 AM

In that last pic, you can see the Light doeskin plastics, with the "deluxe" carpeted panels that were of course, from GM. The seat covers were from Hawks, and the actual carpet is from ACC. This pic shows how close all three are, and how well I matched them. I just got samples from everyone. Of course the carpeted plastics were that way from the factory, but many a carpet/seat cover samples went back and forth when choosing the carpet from ACC and seats from Hawks. The actually ACC carpet is in fact the Lt. doeskin that they show in the catalog, and I have no idea what the color from Hawks is, but you just have to be patient. Most places understand the dilemma, and are very willing to help you figure out what you need by sending samples.

As for an 87 IROC, I imagine you DON'T have Medium Beechwood. It's probably the Lt Doeskin.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:41 PM

Location: Ithaca, NY - 10 sq mi surrounded by reality - I'm SOL!
Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI in stock trim
Transmission: T-5 w/ Hurst B/P shifter
Hey guys, thanks for all the feed back - it's great to hear what you have to say.

Abubaca - thank for the pics - I clearly have the Med Beechwood and not the Lt. Doeskin thanks to your pics. By the way, the car in the first pic has an interior in great cond. Mine has some stains on the carpet and the drivers seat is just starting to get abraided where you rub gettin in and out - I wish I had seat covers in the shape of those in that pic!! They look great.
Oh, also, I hear ya about samples - I will make some calls and see if I can get some samples.

And I agree with those that believe a tan interior in good cond looks great. My car has factory installed rear hacth louvers; that along with the fact that it was only driven about 5k/yr AND was kept in a climate controlled building by the previous owner has resulted is a very clean interior in good shape. And with the dark red paint (the old "copper" color), I think tan looks great; the only other color that might look good in black I guess.

IROZINCO - pretty neat - sounds like our cars are a lot alike...gotta love that dark red metallic paint..........;-)

armac - please, please clarify - what is a phs packet???
My car was owned my the general manager who was also in the family who owned a dealership - my car was originally ordered by them and delivered to the same dealership back in '89 where I bought the car just a few months ago - I figure they should have a pretty extensive history on the car - should I contact them for this phs packet???

Again, thank guys
Old 10-26-2003, 06:44 PM

Car: 83 ta
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
phs=Pontiac Historic Services. They can give you everything you can ever think of on your car. Each pack is catered to your VIN. www.phs.com is the web site I think. I have one on my car and use it alot as my build sheet has become apart of the pass side floor pan.