Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

simple: earl scheib or maaco?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
simple: earl scheib or maaco?

which one and why? NO i will NOT spend 4 grand on a paint job. i am on a college student budget and my cars paint loooks like crap.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears
Take a course in auto body and paint then If you're dead set on using one of the two, check out the paint jobs they've done.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:13 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
cow sh*t or horse sh*t. They both stink, so what's the difference? Might as well buy a roller and some Glidden Interior Satin.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:25 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 182 Likes on 134 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
Originally posted by Jim85IROC
cow sh*t or horse sh*t. They both stink, so what's the difference? Might as well buy a roller and some Glidden Interior Satin.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:56 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L V-6
Transmission: Fresh 700R4
i've had a couple beater s-10's done at macco and they did better than i expected i havent waxed either one since they were painted and i rarely wash them and two years later even the red one is still shiny it's not show quality but it doesn't look like **** either
Old 10-17-2003, 05:13 PM

Car: 1987 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
maaco isnt bad, people just have bad experience, but if your from missouri, we are brought up a little better have have decent courtousy, lol i think i spelt that wrong,
Old 10-17-2003, 06:31 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by 87z28camaro
, but if your from missouri, we are brought up a little better have have decent courtousy, lol i think i spelt that wrong,
You are kidding, right. Just the fact that you are saying this is insulting to the rest of us. Insulting people is not a sign of courtesy. Figure it out!!
Old 10-17-2003, 07:27 PM

Car: 1987 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 tpi
lmao sorry i was just kiddin i thought i put jk but i didnt, lol, but the maaco's around here are pretty damn good, but depends, lol, sorry haha
Old 10-18-2003, 12:15 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
Check out each in your area. Different shops will produce different results.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:56 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maaco, i live closer to it
Old 10-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
No matter where its done, a paint job is only as good as the painter and the person doing the prep work. On that note, places that offer "super deal" paint places often employ less skilled workers, to be able to charge less for paint jobs.
Do you think our dealership hires a Master Tech to do the $24.99 oil changes? Hell no, they hire they guy off the street desperate for a buck so they can pay him $7/hr. I have seen good and bad things from "cheap" places and professional places.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:01 PM

so.... ....no one knows. in my experiance everyone ive talked to who said all maaco and earl schieb are sh*t have never had it done, let alone seen one of their paint jobs. I've seen a few maacos and they arent bad at all, but i have never seen a scheib job. everyone who is responding to this thread fails to realize that my car has the worst possible peeling paint, even a rattle can job will look better then this, and the way/places i drive im not gonna spend 4k on a paint job just to get a million pebble chips on the front. even if i wanted to spend 4k on paint, there is no way i can afford it. wow. im done venting. soooo does anyone seriously know?
Old 10-18-2003, 10:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 89 Formula, WS6
Engine: LB9/peanut cam :(
Transmission: 700R4
look at it this way... you're a college student, so in 4 years or less, you should have a degree and some sort of decent paying job...so go with whichever of the two is cheaper, for now, and when you graduate, have a proper paint job done. I don't know about scheib, but maaco's alright.

Look at it as spending about $300 to keep the bare spots from rusting until you can get it repainted proper, and in the meantime, the fact that your car will look a lot better is a nice bonus.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:21 PM
Supreme Member

everyone who is responding to this thread fails to realize that my car has the worst possible peeling paint
We do realize it. Your just not hearing what you want to hear. You want somebody to tell you that Maaco is top notch so you can justify spending as little money as possible. The fact of the matter is, Schieb or Maaco, a $400 paint job is a $400 paint job. You probably won't find that one is better than the other. These are the kind of places that if Maaco makes one of the employees mad, they will just quit and go work for Schieb anyway, so the quality will be about the same.

All you can do is compare pricing, warranty, etc... and see what is best for YOU. Thats something YOU will have to do.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:24 PM
Supreme Member

everyone ive talked to who said all maaco and earl schieb are sh*t have never had it done, let alone seen one of their paint jobs.
And YES, I have seen enough of what came out of the Maaco on Carlisle Pike in PA, to know what they let go out the door.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:39 PM

Car: 87 Iroc
Transmission: Auto
Honestly, Maaco is nowhere near as bad as everyone says they are. No where's near as bad. Although, I do not have experience with their bodywork (I did ALL of it myself, and told them to just wash and spray the car) Anyway, my car was painted from black to yellow almost 2 years ago at a local Maaco for $440. It was a sale on basecoat/clearcoat. with an extra coat of clear. Today, even after driving through the winter, the car still shines, and HOLDS like it did the day it came out of the shop. No, it doesn't flake off like everyone says it does, it doesn't peel, it doesn't lose it's shine. Take care of it like you would any other paint job. Oh yeah, and another thing....I didn't take off anything on the car, nothing, and there is abolsutley no overspray anywhere, not even under the 'vert top boot thing..

So, yeah, anyways, Maaco has been around a long time. A very long time. From my experience, EVERYONE has a bad thing to say about Maaco, but none of them have actually ever had there car painted there.

I'm only 19, 17 when the car was painted, so a $3,000 paint job wasn't an option for me either. I don't regreat what I did. I'm very happy with the paint, and it looks a hell of a lot better than the oxidized black that was on there before. Here's a pic of my car I took about 2 weeks ago, As you can see, the only thing wron g with it really are the usual chips on the front from bottoming out. ....Oh, and don't just spray paint on your car to touch something up because the cap looks the same...

One more thing...This is my dailydriver. The paint sees a lot of abuse, and ALL weather conditions. I have no garage.

Old 10-19-2003, 03:20 PM

Maaco does good paint, but they suck at prep work. DO the prep yourself, and you can actually get a pretty decent job out of it.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:09 PM

Your just not hearing what you want to hear. You want somebody to tell you that Maaco is top notch so you can justify spending as little money as possible.
uhhh noooo i want to hear which one is better. maaco or scheib. yes i know a 4k paint job is the best. i WOULD LOVE to get a 4k paint job and yes that is the best option. GMTECH, just hand me the money and ill hop right on it.

thanks for your help 91zconvt, im prolly gonna go with maaco.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:36 PM
Supreme Member

GMTECH, just hand me the money and ill hop right on it.
Right, checks in the mail.....

Now that you have everybodies opinion, why don't you do some research on your own? Like I previously suggested, find out what all they will do, for what price and what kind of warranty they offer. Do you even know how much each place will cost, and what all it includes? If it was unanimous that Maaco was the way to go, but cost twice as much, would you still go to Maaco?

At any rate, I hope you get what you are looking for. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:45 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by 91zconvt
Oh yeah, and another thing....I didn't take off anything on the car, nothing, and there is abolsutley no overspray anywhere, not even under the 'vert top boot thing..

Give me less than 60 seconds to walk around your car and I'll show you the overspray. Even if it was repainted the same color, I guarantee I'll show you overspray in less than 1 minute!! Probably less than 30 seconds!
Old 10-20-2003, 01:11 AM

Car: '86 iroc
Engine: lb9 305
I had my 80' firebird painted at earl's......where to start........
I went from the two tone brown and gold to black. There was overspray ALL over the tail pipes. Parts that were badly masked around the emblems and rubber door protector strips that showed gold here and there. Half way down the side of the hood it went from black to gold, they didn't open the hood when painting. On the inner side of my side mirrors I could see the paint go from black to brown when I was in the car looking out at them. There was overspray here and there on the chrome trim. THEN there was the fact that I admittedly STUPIDLY left $17 in my console when I dropped it off, needless to say when I went to pick it up my console was wide open....... I mentioned it and the money was taken out of the total, may have been my fault for leaving it but it still shows what kind of people work there. The guy that ran the places response was saying nonchalantly "I have a bunch of animals working here," not at all concerned about the fact that he has thieves working for him. I would NEVER let them paint anything of mine again.

I was young and this was before I know anything so I never would have thought of or known how to do the prep work myself. Now I know better, I'm painting my 86 iroc myself. I'm just about done with the prep work and I know I will put infinitely more attention and work into the job then Earl Scheib ever will.

Sorry about the length of the post, just wanted undecided people to be warned.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:54 AM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Originally posted by 87z28camaro
maaco isnt bad, people just have bad experience, but if your from missouri, we are brought up a little better have have decent courtousy, lol i think i spelt that wrong,
Yeah us people from Missouri are courteous we just cant spell for shxt. LOL
Old 10-20-2003, 08:10 AM

Engine: 355
My two cents----- I have my friends go to both and Maaco wins hands down, But listen to GMTECH and please check out both yourself by going to the respective shops and looking at their finished products, then make a decision. It will pay you in the long run to take the time to do this. Dave
Old 10-20-2003, 08:38 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Originally posted by thechristopherh
uhhh noooo i want to hear which one is better. maaco or scheib.
We know what you're asking, but you're still missing our point. Both are basically equal. They use cheap crap materials and employ no-talent *** clowns with barely enough mental capacity to pull the trigger on the spray gun. Which one is better? Well, that depends on your particular shops. Use whatever one has the painter with the least needle holes in his arms... he'll probably be a bit more steady.

Getting a real answer as to which is better is impossible, because both are so bad that it makes it hard to draw a comparison... especially when you realize that even within the same franchise, the quality can vary wildly from one location to the next... from one painter to the next... or even from one high to the next if your painter is the crackhead jonsing for a fix.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:01 AM

Car: 2003 Mach 1
not to beat a dead horse but what everyone has said is pretty much spot on.

I myself had a maaco job done. It turned out pretty decent and stayed that way for 2 years (sold the car).

One thing I did though was did the prep myself and drove the car to Maaco, and taped it up myself in the parking lot. Also took as much off the car as possible. Not a bad job for $350
Attached Thumbnails simple: earl scheib or maaco?-my-pictures0004.jpg  
Old 10-21-2003, 12:02 AM

Give me less than 60 seconds to walk around your car and I'll show you the overspray. Even if it was repainted the same color, I guarantee I'll show you overspray in less than 1 minute!! Probably less than 30 seconds!
Maybe it's just me, but you really came off as an ******* by that comment. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but whatever.

Anyways, if you wanna buy the plane ticket, then I would challenge you to do it. I don't know why you are so certain. The car has been painted for two years. I have been driving, washing, waxing, etc. it for two years. I Think I would of seen overspray now. If you wanna get really into detail, then yes, when I lifted the car up, there was a little yellow underneath the car, but I wouldn't count that as overspray. To me, that's to be expected. I mean...who tapes a car to the ground? There is absolutley NO overspray under the hood, in the interior, on the windows, on the top, Under the top, No where. If you don't wanna take my word for it, fine. You don't have to. I couldn't really care less if you believe that my car has overspray all over it, just because of the name of the franchise that painted it.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:11 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

You can call me what ever you want, I'm just saying that I can guarantee that there is paint on trim, a moulding, or somewhere it shouldn't be. Unless you pay in excess of $4000, it's to be expected.

I had my truck repainted 2 years ago by a very reputable shop. They know how picky I am and did a fantastic job. However, I still found areas where the paint had gotten that shouldn't have paint on it. They removed lights, moldings, decals, inner wheel plastics, etc. They did a real good job, but it still was not up to high $$ standards. It was an insurance repaint on a new truck. It cost $1800 just to paint the driver side. If the whole truck were to be done, it would be one of those $4000 jobs, from a reputable shop, and yet they still had a couple mistakes. Maaco and Sheib can't do better for under $1000.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:35 AM

I'm just saying that I can guarantee that there is paint on trim, a moulding, or somewhere it shouldn't be. Unless you pay in excess of $4000, it's to be expected.
Ok, maybe I should rephrase. There is ABSOLUTLEY no VISABLE overspray anywhere on the car. None on any area that you can see when the car is together. With that said, sure you wanna take off a fender, then you'll probably find some yellow in there where the fender gaps were, but that's about it. How can you be so sure of someplace you've never been to, just because of a name?
Old 10-21-2003, 08:49 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

I don't have to be shot in the head to know that it could kill me either!!!

They have a reputation for poor quality. I have also seen many cars that were repainted by both shops. Their quality is beyond substandard. I work in the auto industry dealing with quality of workmanship and the finished product. I have never seen a Maaco or Sheib job that would meet my standards of quality. Can it be done, sure, if you want to pay for it. But again, not for a few hundred dollars. Their name means nothing. They could name themselves George's Quality Paint shop. The name means nothing. Their reputation says it all!
Old 10-21-2003, 10:38 PM

I guess I must of just found one really good Maaco then, huh? I'm not gonna keep arguing with you. You've never seen my car in person. I see it every day. If anyone would know if there was overspray on my car, it would be me. Just keep in mind one thing. Maaco is a FRANCHISE Each and every one is completely different. Sure, they all have pretty much the same deals, and probably products, but each one's quality is different. Most Maaco's started out as a small privatley owned bodyshop that could not turn a decent profit and opted to use the Maaco name to their benefit. This doesn't mean that every single Maaco must be bad because it's called what it is. They've been in business a long time. If they were that bad and everyone hated them so much, they wouldn't be in business.

Eh, maybe the painter just liked my car.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '02 Z06
Engine: L33 5.7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Stock IRS
mr. scottmoyer has a sitck up his *** me thinks..

anyways, i had my car done at earl schieb. for 480 bucks they did a nice job, the tail pipes were oversprayed, so i threw some tips to cover it up. that was about it. they did pop the hood to get the hood trim too.

some small overspray on the passenger rear view mirror. -rmeoved with a razor.

plus a 3 year warrenty against fading/cracking/peeling

that was 3 months ago..

so thats my first hand experience with cheap painting
Old 10-22-2003, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans Am & 1982 Corvette
Engine: L-98 with LO-3 induction. 350 CFI
Transmission: 5 speed and vette has 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373's in T/A .. vette unknown
I recently bought a 93 mustang GT, okay flame all you want but it's a fun car to drive, anyways it came with a earl shieb paint job on it and believe me it sucks, and I use that term lightly, the car was originally a green color, easy to tell since they didn't even do any jambs or on top of the tail-lights, the paint has absolutely no consistency meaning it looks decent in one spot and rough texture in another, and then real dull in another, I had a 82 trans am done through a ford dealership some years back, paid 1800 for the job, of course I stripped the car down of it bumpers and so on, it was done in black and gold, and to this days still shines like new and there wasn't a flaw in the paint job, but on the downside I now have a super nice trans am that I don't care to drive because of idiots, and well the mustang it now serves the purpose of daily door dings, dust storms, and pepsi spills.

if you plan on keeping it shiebs not the way to go
Old 10-22-2003, 06:32 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by TraviZ
mr. scottmoyer has a sitck up his *** me thinks..

anyways, i had my car done at earl schieb. for 480 bucks they did a nice job, the tail pipes were oversprayed, so i threw some tips to cover it up. that was about it. they did pop the hood to get the hood trim too.

some small overspray on the passenger rear view mirror. -rmeoved with a razor.

plus a 3 year warrenty against fading/cracking/peeling

that was 3 months ago..

so thats my first hand experience with cheap painting
Children. You guys think you know all the answers. If you don't want me to look, have Jim85IROC, GMTech or somebody else that "knows" better. You boys waste that hard earned money of yours and I'll continue to DO IT RIGHT. It was already mentioned that if that's all you can afford, then fine, but don't call it quality or good, because it isn't. You obviously wanted all of us to praise them or you wouldn't be putting up such a defense for them. I won't do it and if that leads you children to name calling then so be it. TraviZ, grow up.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:59 PM

don't call it quality or good, because it isn't.
Funny how you are so against the work of a painter who you've NEVER met, NEVER talked to, and NEVER even seen any of his work, yet you INSIST he is terrbile. Let's see, This guys sprayed my car. That's all he did. Taped and sprayed. Wow, I'm sure that no one that works at any Maaco in the world can put out a decent spray job, because you say they ALL suck.

On a side note, I had one whole side of one of my previous cars repainted (94 Trans Am) after some old lady sideswiped me. It was painted at a reuputable body shop which charged the insurance $2200 for the sanding, masking, spraying and blending. And you know what? That paint looked original, and the paint I got from Maaco doesn't look any worse, despite whatever you beleive. Just get off your soap box and lose the power trip. You don't know everything.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:09 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

So you got a decent job. Who gives a rat's ***. The original post was who's better. They both suck. Is that a general statement? Yes. If you want to take the chance and hopefully find the one shop that does good, go ahead. Like I said, the companies reputation for lack of quality far exceeds that of 1 shop that might have done a decent job. I am not attacking you, but you obviously don't understand that. I never said that your painter sucked, but again, you don't understand that. If you're happy with the paint job, then so be it, but stop riding me for giving my opinion when that is what this post was asking for. Again, grow up!!!
Old 10-23-2003, 12:38 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Kitt
Engine: Classified
Axle/Gears: Moser/4:11
Mine's an Earl Sheib paint job. For about $500 it's worth it. Not the best quality paint....it's just an outside paint job. i.e. inside door jambs and stuff are still blue for me. Pics are on my website.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:38 AM

You obviously wanted all of us to praise them or you wouldn't be putting up such a defense for them.
uhhh noooo. ok, lets assume they both suck. which one is the suckier one? thats all i want to know. dammmnnn all i want to know, is which one is the better of the two. i know they are not the best in the world. i know a 2 grand paint job is better, and i know they are both not gonna be Grade A quality. but one of them is going to be better then the other, and it appears that we have established it is maaco. Im sorry, but no matter how bad they are, they are going to be better then having 3/4's of the paint missing from the car. And also, YES I DO WANT A 4 grand paint job, and YES, i know maaco and scheib have no comparison to 4 grand, but you fail to realize i have no money and my paint on my car is becoming non existant. if you would like me to get a 4 grand paint job, give me the difference of it and maaco and ill get one.

the subject of this topic does NOT say "which one is better maaco or a 4 thousand dollar paint job". it does not say "is scheib as good as a dealers paint" it doesnt even mention anything but two paint companies. please, lets stick to those two. there is no way you can make me get an expensive paint job unless you give me the money or i find it in my closet.

thanks to the ppl who actually answered my question.

-Chris

Last edited by thechristopherh; 10-23-2003 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:15 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans Am & 1982 Corvette
Engine: L-98 with LO-3 induction. 350 CFI
Transmission: 5 speed and vette has 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373's in T/A .. vette unknown
answers simple

if you want to destroy your car go to either of the two, I once had 1 day paint and body do a trans am for me, it came out OK .... seriously stay away from earl shieb, estimates have been as high as 3500 to put my mustang back to it's original color, I would try maaco long befor earl shieb since I know what a earl shieb paint job looks like, and believe me it truly sucks
Old 10-23-2003, 08:22 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by thechristopherh
uhhh noooo. ok, lets assume they both suck. which one is the suckier one? thats all i want to know. dammmnnn all i want to know, is which one is the better of the two. i know they are not the best in the world. i know a 2 grand paint job is better, and i know they are both not gonna be Grade A quality. but one of them is going to be better then the other, and it appears that we have established it is maaco. Im sorry, but no matter how bad they are, they are going to be better then having 3/4's of the paint missing from the car. And also, YES I DO WANT A 4 grand paint job, and YES, i know maaco and scheib have no comparison to 4 grand, but you fail to realize i have no money and my paint on my car is becoming non existant. if you would like me to get a 4 grand paint job, give me the difference of it and maaco and ill get one.

the subject of this topic does NOT say "which one is better maaco or a 4 thousand dollar paint job". it does not say "is scheib as good as a dealers paint" it doesnt even mention anything but two paint companies. please, lets stick to those two. there is no way you can make me get an expensive paint job unless you give me the money or i find it in my closet.

thanks to the ppl who actually answered my question.

-Chris
We DO understand that you only have so much to spend. As GMTech and others have already stated, they both suck, but you need to find out which one sucks the least in your area for what you can afford.

The rest of the petty arguing has not been to convince you to get a $4000 paint job. We already know that it's not in your budget. It was to convince the Maaco supporters, that were attacking those of us who aren't, that Maaco is not that good and they keep trying to defend them by saying they are. AS GMTech also said, They are both about equal. You need to check out their work before deciding. We can't tell you which is better in your area. Go back and read the replies. Your question has been answered a few times. I just hope they do a good job for you and that you are actually pleased with the final product. Good luck.

Last edited by scottmoyer; 10-23-2003 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:33 PM

Car: 1982-z-28.1987 sc
Engine: 350 on z-28,305 on sc
Transmission: bw t-10 on z-28,700r4 on sc
WTF!!

holy sh##t,good thing you guys didnt have a gun.the funny thing is that here in mexico you can get a superb paint and body job for less than a grand,and that is if you have body damage.the most expensive paint job i've ever seen was a shiny gray sprayed on a 1984 z28. that was 1600 dollars.just dont ever hope for a quality engine overhaul
Old 02-15-2004, 01:56 AM

Car: 87 Trans am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: built 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 bolt posi w/ disc
okay people, looks like some of you like their jobs some hate them. some love paying like 10k for a paintjob that is going to fade and what not NO MATTER WHAT.
my car right now has a earl paintjob on it right now and it is horrible. yea, it was 400$, i didnt get it done, but the previous owner obviously did not care much about it. the decklid is fisheyed, and the pillars behind the door windows are getting there. if i throw on a coat of wax, yea it shines, but not as well as i would like it to. it was done in Oct. of 02 and the front end is all chipped. the headlight buckets are pretty much done for and the headlights have overspray on them. my exhaust tips are red, yes they are red, not just a little over spray, it looks like the painter tried to paint them. other complaints...the underside of the car(right ender the rockers) is red, along with my wheel wells. i deffinantly would not let them paint another thing of mine!
Old 02-15-2004, 11:33 PM

Transmission: 700R-4
One of my best friends had his car painted at Maaco. 4 times.

1 time for the paint, another time to fix that paint job when we found runs and bubbles in it.

3rd time for after the wreck, then again with the runs and the bubbles and other problems we found on it. They also wouldn't paint the part where the door rests ( cant remember what its called). He has since sold the car. Seen it around, the guy put the lame wing back on it too....anywho enough about that. Coming from second hand experience, their paint jobs suck. At least around here

cheers
Old 02-18-2004, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '98 Z28 LS1
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 373
Why are you guys raggin on the guy for? He does not want to hear from those who think both places suck to high heaven! Let people who have had their cars painted by the 2 places give their comments. A lot of you sure are quick to rag on someone for something you don'y like!

My advice to you my friend is go to each of these places and check out the cars that they have painted during the day. They both usually display the finished cars out in front of their shops. This will give you the best idea who to choose.

Choose wisely brother!

CALIROCZ28
Old 02-18-2004, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '98 Z28 LS1
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 373
I noticed you live in Laguna Hills, also check out "1 day Paint". They are in your area. I'm in the San Gabriel Valley and I'm sure they are in Orange County. Good luck with whom ever you decide to go with.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:51 AM

Car: 83 Pontiac Firebird S/E
Engine: 305
Transmission: Borg Warner T5
Ummm, i would say erl shlieb (cant spell) if you dont mind paying a bit more. I had a friend get his caddilac painted there and it turned out real nice. But its all a roll of the dice with any of those places. The shop here, is diffrent then the one thier, so will the quality. Same with Macco. You might have a good place thier or not. Cant really tell unless you know someone who got thier car painted there before. Another friend got his 71 Camaro painted by a "Pro" 3 years back, payed a couple thousand. Now his paint is peeling. Not the best job.. Macco mighta Outlasted it. If you're on a tight buget, why do you care how nice your car looks? You could always live with the burden of the non-perfict paint job for a year or two and get a better one. Any other advice i have is try and check out the places. Which one looks ****y? Ask them how much body work is included in the price of the pain (how many hours) and what they do. See if one offers more then the other. Best thing is, do some resherch, dont rely on just replies becuase every shop is bound to have diffrent results.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:35 PM

Car: 94 Corvette
Engine: LT-1
Transmission: Freakin Automatic---For Now
It seems like every time somebody asks users for their opinions, and they get honest answers to their questions, a flame war breaks out. It's funny, but you asked for every one of those replies. Your question was which one. My answer is Maaco, simply put. Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you at least get a base/clear job done. Do not let them talk you into a single phase job, they fade out very fast.

Also, neither one of those shops use flex additive for the plastic parts of your car. Look at the air dam on that yellow vert, paint with flex in it doesn't crack and chip like that. My nose, not the air deflector the nose, touches curbs, parking blocks, the ground when pulling in my driveway and it is just scuffed, not cracked all to hell.

Also, their masking skills tend to be a little lacking, let's face it, the cost in a paint job is mostly labor. Prep work and taping take FOREVER and thus really drive the costs up. "Discount" places typically only budget about an hour or two at the most for masking. Quite simply that's not enough time. And since they do so many cars, that's why they are still around, the cars usually get sprayed and pushed out of the booth almost right away (yes they do give them a little time to cure).

Don't get excited that they do a bunch of cars so they must do good or even decent work. They do so many cars because people will throw a Maaco job on a car right before they sell it. Would you drop 4 large on a paint job for a car you were selling? Also, used car lots use the crap out of them, they'll trade for a car that needs paint, run it through Maaco, and put it on the lot. A used car lot isn't going to invest the time or money in a car like that.

Either one of the shops will deliver you a car that is all one color (hopefully) and shiny. How long that will last is anyones guess. Typically, the jobs I've seen last at most 4 years. At that point the front is so rock chipped and the clear is so bad that the car usually needs to be stripped to the primer (or further) and completely redone. Enter the infamous $10,000 paint job. And no, reputable body shops don't like to repaint a Maaco car, because if they don't get ALL of the Maaco off, their paint job is going to fail, and then they look worse than Maaco, because the charged you big time $ for a paint job that failed.

I hope that you get a nice job done, wherever you go, and however much you spend. My car is so faded that it is actually 4 colors of red, has dings here and there and generally looks like it been riden hard and put away wet, but for me, I'll just save up and have it done right the first time around.

Last edited by GTA-SPD; 02-18-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:31 PM

Car: Corvette
Engine: 5.7
it turns into a flame war because people try to push their personal preferences on everybody else.

my friend had his ranger painted at maaco. he did the body work and they painted it. it had 1 run which they fixed and other than that. it looked fine.

my boss at work had a ventura(sp?) and he had it painted at maaco. full prep and all. car looked nice

not all maaco workers are junkies. to stereotype people like that is no better than stuffin a ****in needle in your own arm.

all you gotta do is go check out the jobs on the cars each place has painted. when you see a shop that has a conisitant qaulity that you will feel happy with. then go for it.

if you yourself are happy with the job. who gives a **** what some dude on the internet thinks. you own your car for yourself not for everyone else. if thats not why, then you got problems that stem pretty deep.

when i finish my body work. if i feel that a maaco shop is who is gonna spray my car. then thats what ima do. if the guy down the street dont like it. too bad, dont look at my car.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Supreme Member

this was done at earl scheib in sacramento off sunrise blvd. (im talking about my camaro, not the mustang)
Attached Thumbnails simple: earl scheib or maaco?-camaromustang.jpg  
Old 02-18-2004, 03:08 PM

Transmission: 700R-4
that paint chips on the passengers side front end or highlights?

cheers
Old 02-18-2004, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

no thats from the sunlight

the very bottom of my car though on the passenger side, is chipped from me using my car as a plow up my gravel driveway but if i showed you a picture now, its even worse cuz i hit a curb lol

Quick Reply: simple: earl scheib or maaco?