Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

simple: earl scheib or maaco?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '02 Z06
Engine: L33 5.7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Stock IRS
here. i circled the spot i was talking about so their is no confusion
Attached Thumbnails simple: earl scheib or maaco?-camaromustang2.jpg  
Old 02-18-2004, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 94 Corvette
Engine: LT-1
Transmission: Freakin Automatic---For Now
Originally posted by SinthetikIroc
it turns into a flame war because people try to push their personal preferences on everybody else.
I'm sorry, but when you ask for peoples opinions, that is what you are going to get. If you don't want to hear how bad people think something looks, or how crappy someone thinks something is, then don't ask for an opinion. Bottom line is, there is no real cut & dry answer to this question, ergo, you get peoples opinions based on their experiences and observations. This is in no way intended to be a flame or argument or anything like that at all, but when opinions are asked for, good or bad, you are going to hear about it.
my friend had his ranger painted at maaco. he did the body work and they painted it. it had 1 run which they fixed and other than that. it looked fine.
my boss at work had a ventura(sp?) and he had it painted at maaco. full prep and all. car looked nice
Originally posted by GTA-SPD
Either one of the shops will deliver you a car that is all one color (hopefully) and shiny. How long that will last is anyones guess. Typically, the jobs I've seen last at most 4 years. At that point the front is so rock chipped and the clear is so bad that the car usually needs to be stripped to the primer (or further) and completely redone.
I never said that they don't look nice, I just stated what I've seen in my personal experience. There is no arguement that it will look niice when you get it. After all it will be all super shiny and one consistent color, but how long it will last, and what it will cost to have it fixed down the road, are things that someone on a budget should definetly be thinking about. I'll show why. If it costs $400 for the Maaco job this year and in 4 years you have to have the car stripped and completely re-painted for, lets say $2500 (not like you could get a car stripped, sealed, primed & painted with good paint for that) you will have spent $2900 in 4 years or $725 per year. If you save for a year or so, and spend $1500 on a good paint job, you're done. in 4 years it will still look good and maybe need an annual wax job. In that case you only spend $1500 in 4 years or $375 per year.
not all maaco workers are junkies. to stereotype people like that is no better than stuffin a ****in needle in your own arm.

all you gotta do is go check out the jobs on the cars each place has painted. when you see a shop that has a conisitant qaulity that you will feel happy with. then go for it.

if you yourself are happy with the job. who gives a **** what some dude on the internet thinks. you own your car for yourself not for everyone else. if thats not why, then you got problems that stem pretty deep.

when i finish my body work. if i feel that a maaco shop is who is gonna spray my car. then thats what ima do. if the guy down the street dont like it. too bad, dont look at my car.
I couldn't agree with you more on the rest of what you said. Hence the last part of my post:
Originally posted by GTA-SPD
I hope that you get a nice job done, wherever you go, and however much you spend. My car is so faded that it is actually 4 colors of red, has dings here and there and generally looks like it been riden hard and put away wet, but for me, I'll just save up and have it done right the first time around.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: Custom Forged 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9" 4:11's Detroit Locker
OK OK OK OK, brake it up people. Nuff childs play.

I work at a body shop. Im not the main painter, but i do my fare share of painting, so i can swing a paint gun with the best of em.

Maccoo or any cheap shop like that does not do good paint, you prep it or not, it doesnt matter, it may look good for a while, but its not anywhere near the quality and protection that DuPont Chromabase system provides to a car.

Yeah, it will look ok at base, fade will occur, and you will never get a good repaint in your life. They receive their paint in 55 gallon drums, close to the color you requested, but not really, i had a 91 RS painted viper blue right, no, i went to work and mixed up some viper blue, not even close. Once they use up that drum of paint, your ****ed, you can go to the best body shop, tehy paibnt will never be matched.

So to conclude, they both suck, dont do it, it will cost more later on to repaint in real paint. But if you are squeezed for money, then do it, but dont expect miracles.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:55 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 SEDAN
Engine: 306HP 3.5L V6
Transmission: Auto Pilot Baby!!!!
Axle/Gears: Don't care!
Originally posted by thechristopherh
so.... ....no one knows. in my experiance everyone ive talked to who said all maaco and earl schieb are sh*t have never had it done, let alone seen one of their paint jobs. I've seen a few maacos and they arent bad at all, but i have never seen a scheib job. everyone who is responding to this thread fails to realize that my car has the worst possible peeling paint, even a rattle can job will look better then this, and the way/places i drive im not gonna spend 4k on a paint job just to get a million pebble chips on the front. even if i wanted to spend 4k on paint, there is no way i can afford it. wow. im done venting. soooo does anyone seriously know?
I've used both Maaco and Sheib in the past back when his best job was $99.95. Out of the 2 I remember the Maaco being better quality than the Sheib job. THe Maaco job was pretty even and lasted a couple years. The Sheib job just looked like ***. It got all orange peely and was all oxidized and gone in less than 18 months.

If I had a choice of the two, I'd go with Maaco.

You're question has been answered.

Please drive through...
Old 02-18-2004, 07:48 PM

Car: 91RS
Engine: 305tbi
I went to look at a car this weekend, I ended up not buying it mainly because of the macco paintjob. It was peeling under the hood, there was a spot on the back where it was spiderwebbing, and a spot on the front bumper where it was peeling from what was probably a small hit.
Then again my car has a macco paintjob about 3 years old which is still in fine condition. Except the front spoiler where the paints peeling a little bit, but that piece gets beat on constantly so its to be expected
Then my first car had a maco paintjob, and I could pick the flakes off all day.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:45 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: FORMULA 89
Engine: V8 5.0
TABANO

Alive in phoenix arizona and I had a bad experience with macoo
Old 02-19-2004, 12:19 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 253 Likes on 189 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45
Originally posted by 87z28camaro
have have decent courtousy, lol i think i spelt that wrong,
LMAO!!!

This has been one of the most entertaining topics I've ever read! It all began with the above quote, and I still haven't stopped! It's like, you just start laughing, and everything after that just makes you laugh even harder, lol!

OMG! And now Stan is listening to Air Supply on South Park!!! I'm gonna die, LOL! Will this madness never end? I hope not.

But on the topic, I took our work van to Earl's place before we turned it back in(the lease was up), and they did a very nice job. I was pretty surprised.

And someone mentioned 1 Day paint shops here in SoCal. They're worth looking into. A friend had a quicky paint job thrown on his classic car by them, and it turned-out pretty good, for a "1 day" job, lol. Sorry, I couldn't help that, lol.

Thanks for the fun. I needed it tonight!
Old 02-19-2004, 06:05 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro IROC
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt posi (non 1le)
If it costs $4,000 for a good paint job, and under $1000 for a "good enough for now" Job at Macco. I personally would pay the $1000, take the other $3000 and put it into the engine/suspension. I figure if i can't make it look good, I can get it going fast enough so no one can see it
Old 02-19-2004, 02:43 PM

Car: 1983 Trans Am
Engine: N/A
Transmission: N/A
Disasterq

I have heard maaco is great as long as you prep it yourself.

But I remember hearing (don't know where). That some guy forgot to tell the painters he had T-tops and they painted right over them.

I have no idea if this true, but I'd suggest if you are gonna do the prep work yourself, might as well take the few extra steps and mask everything off yourself as well.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:06 PM

If I had t-tops and they painted em I wouldn't be upset, because they would be buying me a new set, that or I wouldn't be paying the bill.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:39 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by PyRo9862
If I had t-tops and they painted em I wouldn't be upset, because they would be buying me a new set, that or I wouldn't be paying the bill.
Amen to that...
Old 02-19-2004, 07:40 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: TBI 5.7L v8
Transmission: Modified T-5
I would bother with either honestly. Do you have any rust developing right now?? If not, wait until you can afford a good one.

The guy I bought my Pulsar off of got a $2000 macco paint job, and right after the first snow this winter, it started peeling off. It's pathetic. What a waste of money.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing right. Remember, you get what you pay for.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 02 ws-6
Engine: 5.7 liter
Transmission: t56
DO NOT GET UR CAR PAINTED AT EARL SHEIBS. there the worst shop i've ever been too. I had my car repainted 3 times with 4 months over there for chipping and mismatched color. worse prep work i've ever seen. They painted over my trans am decals. the paint is totally uneven. They painted over my foglights, part of my driver side window, oversprayed on my taillights and on my windshield. My paint job is now 5 months old and it has no shine whats so ever. The spoiler is chipping, and way too much orange peel. i had my old car painted at maaco and they did a pretty good job. the paint never faded on me within the 3 years i've owned it. Back then, they used some genaric brand paint, but now i believe they use dupont paint. Acually i went to macco for an estimate for my ta and i saw a thirdgen camaro that was just finished and it looked very nice. It varies on which shop u go to. Some shops will do a good job and some shops will do a crappy job. If i was u i'll check out some of their cars that they just finished and see if u like their work. Heres a pic of my car when was painted the first time there

Last edited by PHAT89TA; 02-19-2004 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 02 ws-6
Engine: 5.7 liter
Transmission: t56
;
Attached Thumbnails simple: earl scheib or maaco?-picture-009.jpg  
Old 02-19-2004, 11:35 PM

I think the consenous here is don't take it to either. But if your going to do it anyway (remember once you are ready to fork over the 5 grand for a good job add another thousand because they will need to strip the macco crap off) then go with macco, and do the prep yourself. I would also try and show them that you really care about your car, that might get you a slightly better job. And I would say before you fork over the money (i'm sure they will be much more helpfull before your money is in there hands) when its done walk around the car pointing out any overspray, missed spots, or other imperfecions and demand they be fixed before you pay them.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:55 PM
TGO Supporter

I think the consenous here is don't take it to either. But if your going to do it anyway (remember once you are ready to fork over the 5 grand for a good job add another thousand because they will need to strip the macco crap off) then go with macco, and do the prep yourself. I would also try and show them that you really care about your car, that might get you a slightly better job. And I would say before you fork over the money (i'm sure they will be much more helpfull before your money is in there hands) when its done walk around the car pointing out any overspray, missed spots, or other imperfecions and demand they be fixed before you pay them.
I've found that actually talking to person who's going to be doing the spraying makes quite a difference as well. Another thing to consider.. Make it worth the painter's time. He's getting paid the same no matter what the job. Throw him or her an extra 100 or 200 bucks and you'd be very surprised at how well a "Maaco" paint job can look.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:36 AM

Car: 89' Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8L - 2 more cylinders soon to com!
Transmission: 700R4 -Auto(blech!)
Hey, I'm going to be a picture ***** and give you a before and after. The paint was absolutely embarassing when I bought my baby. I took it to Scheibs and got them to razorblade the existing clearcoat (no way i was), pop a big passenger side door dent, and do the insides of the doors. I talked to the guy who would be doing it and managed to take him from $600 to $420. (Don't flame me for the original price - how much would you charge to cut the clearcoat off of an f-body. hehe)
Well, almost a year past and it's still shining like a diamond! At least I think it looks spectacular for the price. Also, I DO want a $4k paint job but, like you, I'm a college student and don't have bunches of money to pay - I just wanted something on my car that the water could roll off of. Beware though, there will be overspray on some trim and tires and such, but trust me, it won't kill you. Here's the solution:

1.) Remove trim, blabla . . . any victims of overspray.
2.) Make doubly sure that they are nowhere near that actual nice-looking paint.
3.) Laquer thinner it! Duh. Fresh paint comes off dummies!

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with the work that they did for the money. Make sure, no matter what you decide, to treat it like any other business deal. Go in. Mean business. Mean serious business (Ex. I just got out of jail because I threw a guy who sneezed on my car off of a bridge.). Be nice about it though. Also, I found that it helps if they know that they will get some repeat business out of you. Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails simple: earl scheib or maaco?-picture-057.jpg  
Old 03-29-2004, 10:37 AM

Car: 89' Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8L - 2 more cylinders soon to com!
Transmission: 700R4 -Auto(blech!)
AFTER!! Looks fine to me!
Attached Thumbnails simple: earl scheib or maaco?-00011127.jpg  
Old 03-29-2004, 01:24 PM

Car: 84Z/ 87 S-10
Engine: 355/350
Transmission: th-350/700-r4
actually i got mine done at MAACO, it turned out really good. but if you want it to look good you're gonna want to have them strip the car down to the bare metal..thast what i did.. i got the best paint job they had (900 bucks) plus the door jams, under hood, rear hatch for another 400 bucks and the ey stripped the car for 500 bucks, and i paid 75 bucks extra for 2 more coats of both base and clear plus it came with a 4 yr warranty on the paint and clear coat..the only complaint i have is they paited my exhaust a little and they got some over spray on my interior but all that wiped off so it all turned out good besides that, and paying only 2000 for a paint job with 4 yr warranty i'd say it was a good deal
Old 03-29-2004, 01:29 PM

Car: 84Z/ 87 S-10
Engine: 355/350
Transmission: th-350/700-r4
Originally posted by GMTech
Do you think our dealership hires a Master Tech to do the $24.99 oil changes? Hell no, they hire they guy off the street desperate for a buck so they can pay him $7/hr.
my dad works for a GM dealership..hes drivablitly mechanic..damn good one at that but anyways the guy who changes oil gets paid just as mych as everyone else ($28/hr) the only people who get paid less than that are the car washers and they even make $10 /hr
Old 03-29-2004, 02:23 PM

MAACO does alright as long as you dont look at the car real close. if you got up to my old 66 mustang the damn thing looked like a tortoise shell.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:26 PM
Banned

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305 LB9 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
alright man heres the dealio. I went a maaco type place called Spray Glo. From my research and customer replys they;ve done pretty good jobs. At the time i was despirate for a new color for cheap. I paid ~$750

I let them do it as a filler, its what they do when there is nothing else todo. Not only did this cut off $150 but in my thinking if they took more time on it it would turn out better. I think i was right also. The only overspray you see is from my small amount of prep work. Now i have to say there is one run, its on the drivers door but it is very unnoticable unless you look at it at a few angles, its at the most an inch long. But its the only imperfection in my paint. I do however have the orange peel effect and such. Also you can see the old existing cracks that were on the hood. Also in areas such as wheel weels they didn't clean before they apinted and a lot of dirt got painted over. Sinc ei was 16 they couldn't make me sign anything saying it wont be perfect. So.... i could leglaly go back there saying you painte over this you better fix it today.

Now the update it that i havea few nicks but it is covered under the 5 year warentee. I havn't taken it in yet but i will, maybe.

A friedn of mine spreet names 8 ball, has a family in the auto body bis. His shop told me i'd only have to pay for the paint supplies which is around a grand. The process they use it to dip all metal panels in a tank that strips all paint on that metal off. Its pretty cool. They then paint all sides the same color. Only paint they miss on the side that dont show is clear coat. On the plastic panels the proccess they use is to sand down the panles nicely, then they get a bondo type thing(not called bondo though) and just put a thin layer on the panel and sand it down to be really smooth. That way there is really no need to sand all the way to down to the metal. I went to the shop not too long ago and saw their jobs. People go into this place(since its on the street side of the town mostly pimps and stuff wioth green cars) and people poor $5k into a paint job from these people. I asked them if they would guarnetee me a Show Car quality shine. they said if you are not satisfied 110% then there is no charge(minus the street language). I was like oh damn awesome. They seemed pretty nice. They also warentee the paint job very nicely 7 years fade warentee, 10 year crack and peel warentee. They also will do 5 free full quality waxing jobs.

YOu relaly need to find a place like this, it'll be in your best interests to become friends with someone in the autobody world. I mean i'm gonan have todo nothing to the car, just drop it into themand they said 3 weeks later i can pick it up. This is relaly what you need. My experiences are shown. Dont go cheap. I was always thinking some of these places do good jobs but i guess THEY DONT!!! I will never be cheap again and goto a maaco type place. Not worht the $750 i spent on my paint job. It really wasn't.

Shane
Old 03-29-2004, 07:50 PM

They try and make you sign somthing saying it won't be perfect? If they screw up they should fix it nomatter what it takes no questions asked.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Banned

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305 LB9 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
yeha its a form that says the paint will not be free of all imperfections and the such.

Shane
Old 03-29-2004, 08:06 PM

yeah, my mustang developed a huge %#@!$#$ crack in the side of the passenger side rear and the MAACO people claimed we'd have to pay extra, even though we'd already paid them to fix the damn thing. The job was good, cept for that crack... but wasn't great. My car deserves great. Fortunately, i dont have a family that DESERVES to eat, lol
Old 03-29-2004, 08:15 PM

Well thats a mustang, who cares
I don't think I would have my car painted at a place that makes me sign a waiver.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:29 PM

Car: '99 HO Z28 / '03 Trailblazer
Well thats a mustang, who cares
I think a mustang with a big @ss crack in it would be an improvement!