Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Spare wheel / tyre ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Trans Am
Engine: 305 Crossfire
Transmission: 200c Auto
Spare wheel / tyre ?

Just curious - what do you guys use for a spare wheel ? The original uninflated space-saver or an ordinary firebird / camaro alloy wheel ?

I use a late 80s ordinary firebird alloy, but would really like to get hold of one of the original space savers, or find a suitable skinny wheel / tyre combination that I can fit out of the way under the plastic spare wheel stowage panel in the back.

Currently, the spare just lies on the boot floor under the tailgate for all to see. Any ideas ?
Old 10-15-2003, 01:14 PM
RMK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: modded LB9
Transmission: Pro Built 700R4
Re: Spare wheel / tyre ?

I have the alloy space saver with the folded tire on it. I decided to inflate it once and it inflated and unfolded out to one side so it was sitting off the rim. Gordon is my witnes!

I put that in the cellar and opted for a can of hair mousse instead.

However, I wouldn't put one in the rear trunk like that. If you went over a bump fast it could lift up and contact the glass causing a breakage of the most expensive window I've ever seen in my life.

Personally, I'd go with the can of mousse.

Robert
Old 10-15-2003, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: LG4 modified
Transmission: 700R4
I carry the aforementioned "can-o-mousse", but thankfully I can't vouch for it's usefulness because I am yet to use it. I still have the original steel spacesaver in the passenger rear compartment thing, but I am not a fan of it, seeing as it looks like a smartie next to my 235/45ZR17s. Maybe I'll put a sub there instead....

Si
Old 10-18-2003, 11:14 AM

Re: Re: Spare wheel / tyre ?

Originally posted by RMK
I have the alloy space saver with the folded tire on it. I decided to inflate it once and it inflated and unfolded out to one side so it was sitting off the rim. Gordon is my witnes!

I put that in the cellar and opted for a can of hair mousse instead.

However, I wouldn't put one in the rear trunk like that. If you went over a bump fast it could lift up and contact the glass causing a breakage of the most expensive window I've ever seen in my life.

Personally, I'd go with the can of mousse.
Rob, LOL I hadn't thought about that day in a while!

Do you want me to bring over a digital camera and we could post some pictures of the deformed little space saver? I bet you that there are a lot of people on this site who would experience the self same problem if they ever inflated theirs.

I saw one thirdgen a while back with a full size spare bobbing around in the trunk area, not secured in any way at all. Such a bad idea. As you said about breaking the glass, and also in a collision it becoming a lethal projectile!
Old 10-25-2003, 05:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2009 Volvo V50 R Design
Engine: 2.0 turbo diesel
Transmission: 6 speed auto
Axle/Gears: yes, both
i have the normal space saver, with the 100 section tyre on it (never seen the road) it must be fun driving a car with a V8 and bicycle tyres!!!

with the open diff, i dont think the tyre would last long, spin city!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Trans Am
Engine: 305 Crossfire
Transmission: 200c Auto
cheers guys - can of mousse it shall be then - hopefully I'll never need to use it though ....

One of my pals acquired a 79 Cadillac a couple of years ago with one of the space savers. That too, upon inflating it, unfolded to one side - hopeless.

Thinking back , it had also been used at some point, as it had hardly any tread left on it , lol.