Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Hatch Popper Button

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 07:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hatch Popper Button

Does anyone make an aftermarket hatch popper for our cars? I couldn't find anything doing a search. Or is there a generic kit that would work with our cars? Maybe even something that could work with remote products such as autoloc's remote shave ddoor kits, etc.?

Mathius
Old 10-11-2003, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DEI makes a universal one, you can get it at any place that sells alarm stuff. Why not just go to the junkyard and get one? Those things are a dime a dozen

EDIT: I just realized that it sounds like you are trying to add it to a car that doesn't have it already. You could do the DEI like I mentioned above, or grab the boneyard setup. All it is is a solonoid to pull the latch, a relay to provide the high amperage, and a switch to trip the relay.

Matt

Last edited by onebinky; 10-11-2003 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
its literally a one bolt mod.

i did it to my vert... i now have the only vert with a elec trunk release. (that i know of)

goto a junk yard and look at the back hatch release of some cars.. you will find one that looks like the others but it has this lil cyl going off to the side.

undo the one bolt on the latch and it lifts off.... cut the elec connector wire undo the cable from the lock cyl (it just clips on) and take it home

on your car, do the same thing... when you do it, run a lil ground wire from the bolt and ground it to the metal at teh back of the car.... then take the elec connector wire, and run it to your relay

for up front, you can get a stock switch to trigger teh relay, or do somthing custom.

thats it...
Old 10-13-2003, 09:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't wanna go with the stock application for two reasons.....

1. Visual appeal: I didn't like the stock way that every power application had a huge button.

2. Remote capabilities: I don't know, can the stock application be rigged to work with other applications, like an alarm, or shaved door remotes?

Mathius
Old 10-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally posted by Mathius
I didn't wanna go with the stock application for two reasons.....

1. Visual appeal: I didn't like the stock way that every power application had a huge button.

2. Remote capabilities: I don't know, can the stock application be rigged to work with other applications, like an alarm, or shaved door remotes?

Mathius

1 find any 12v button that you want. this INCLUDES any remote system

2 hook it to the stock silinoid....... id use a relay, but thats really dependant on the switch and wires you use too.

im just telling you how to make the latch release with electricity... im not telling you how you have to get the power there.