Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Anyone know if its possible to buy the foglight reflector and lense only?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.1L v6
Transmission: Automatic
Anyone know if its possible to buy the foglight reflector and lense only?

sorry guys im not sure what forum this would be, toss up between body or electronics and i think this gets more traffic so..

One of my foglights on my 90 bird has a cracked lense. water got inside so now the reflector is very badly rusted, its junk now. Does anyone know if you can just buy the lense and the reflector for it or do you need to buy the case for it too? anyone know where to get either the new lense/reflector or a new foglight assembly? i some local stores non of them had something that i could use.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go to Autozone you can find ones that are kind of similar. Blazer makes them. THere was only one kind that was close to the stock ones. You can use the reflective part and the lense, but you will have to seperate some of the wires to make it work.
Here is a pic. Looks close to stock, except doesn't have the ribs in the lense.

Last edited by Thirdgen86TA; 10-05-2003 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:46 PM

i dont care about it looking like stock as long as its the same size to fit in those holes, theres not much room to play with using a bigger size, and smaller size would look stupid. i dont have an autozone anywhere near me. i checked pepboys and none of them would look right in there. do the blazer ones have a housing w/ the holes to stick that bolt through from the stock mounting assembly? or did u swap the reflectors/lense into the stock firebird housing?

btw your driver side headlight door seems to be closed lower then the hood. i had the same problem. there is an adjustment screw in the housing that you can adjust the "closed height" of the door. mine had a broken plastic thread for the adjustment screw and would let the door close down too far. you know those plastic square "thread holes" that the 4 torx screws that hold the plastic cover on the headlight? the adjusment screw has the same square plastic thread hole thing. what i did was swap the broken adjusment screw thread holes w/ one of the 4 side ones that hold the cover on. i used some clear pvc pipe glue (basically superglue) to hold the broken one from the adjusment screw together in the side housing, its under much less load then the adjustment screw one and holds up very good once the glue dries. then just pop in a good one into the adjustment screw place and adjust it to the right position. you could probably go buy a new square thread thing but not sure if the dealerships have them or not.

sorry for going off topic lol, those headlights bug me, i see a lot of them like that.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:07 AM

Yes the blazer ones have a hole on each side where the bolt goes through with those plastic things that hold the lense in. The plastic backing won't work though so you just use the stock one and the blazer lense and reflector. THey are universal so you should be able to get them at any major auto parts store. I think Napa has them also.

About my headlights, I am not sure if it is from the lights or not. I messed with my hood and now I have to play with it to open. It could be the hood alignment or the headlights. Not sure, but thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at it.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:29 AM

cool i will check napa, is there a model number or anything that you can remember? how much did they cost?
Old 10-06-2003, 06:36 AM

oh and about the light, if the door is level w/ the fender then its ok and the hood that needs to be adjusted. if not then its probably that adjustment screw inside the assembly. i cant tell from the pic.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:10 AM

THey are C1073KBMW
Old 10-06-2003, 04:18 PM

Thanks man I found the Blazer set at walmart for 17 bucks today. Just got done installing them. It was a very close match to the stock reflector but not exact. they are working great tho cant wait till it gets dark to try them out

think i should change the fuse in the fuseblock to the 15amp one that comes with them or leave the 20 amp from the stock foglights?
Old 10-06-2003, 04:32 PM

I am glad that they worked out for you. I did not change my fuse and they work fine.
Did you get what I meant about switching some of the wires around? I think one had a plug on the end and one had a bolt on the end. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but it had to be modified to fit. Oh yeah and you used the stock backing part right? I don't think the aftermarket one would even fit let alone bolt into there.

Also I looked at my headlights and they are even with my fenders. It must be the hood that isn't adjusted.

Last edited by Thirdgen86TA; 10-06-2003 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:21 PM

Yeah i used the stock mounting bracket and the stock metal housing, just swapped in the reflector/bulb/lense like you said. i cut the end of the wires from the blazer set and soldered on the connector that was on the old foglights. i also used the heatshield wrap and fished the wires through the little rubber gromet in the back. looks just like a stock original firebird foglight

I think i just need to aim them down a little bit more, waiting till its darker so i can see the beam pattern on the road. heres some pics.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:25 PM

Yeah same here. One of mine points up a little, but I can't figure out how to adjust them. If you figure it out, let me know.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:30 PM

theres a torx screw on the top middle of the light righter over the lense. there should be a spring behind that that hits the housing for the light and the bracket that holds the housing. tighten that up to move it up, loosen to move it down.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:58 PM

Car: '86 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Posi disc 9 bolt
I switched to the Blazer series about a year ago after the dealer told me that each fog lamp was $80.00.

The Blazer ones are a good price at Wally World and they even have a better pair now for $43.00 with clear lenses and a more reflective background.

I use 100 watt bulbs in the fog lights and don't even use my head lights around town. The fog lights are enough. They sit low enough that they don't bother most oncoming traffic.

I have the Cool Blue series for headlights and they cause more people to flash thier high beams at me more than the fogs.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:38 AM

well i ran into a problem. i was aiming my lights and noticed some smoke coming out of them, shortly after the fuse blew

I think it has to do with the Blazer lights coming in a plastic housing, i swapped the reflector into the stock metal housing. must have caused a short somewhere

gonna go rip those things apart again, i really hate take the foglights out.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:03 PM

Thats pretty crazy. Isn't the reflector the exact same as the stock one though? I have had mine in for around 2 months and have had no problems.
I tried to adjust them but I couldn't get the torx screwdriver in there.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:50 PM

No problems with mine either.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:11 PM

well here is the brain buster. i took the foglights out, inspected, found no bad wiring or a short. put them back in, they were fine. turn the engien on and the fuse pops

the smoke was normal,, at least i think it was. smoked for a little bit at first then whatever it was burned up and went away. still cant figure out why this is popping when i put the engine on. im going to post in electronics.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:02 PM

I'll bet one of your hot wires is touching the chassis of the fog lamp where your ground is.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:20 AM

i think i know what the problem may be. I disconnected the foglights and the fuse was still blowing, so the short has to be before either of the foglights. that pretty much just leaves the positive wire running to the lights from the relay, or the relay itself (if anyone knows of something else let me know). i checked the positive wire that goes to the foglights and it was not being grounded, so that leaves the relay. I bypassed the relay altogether with a piece of wire and the lights lit and the fuse did not blow. then i stuck the relay back in and the fuse didnt blow either. I think the coil is going bad inside the relay and is causing an intermittent short. so far, it hasnt blown the fuse again but if it does do it again i will be changing the relay.