Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Bone yard carpet....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Posi disc 9 bolt
Bone yard carpet....

Spent a lot of time at the bone yard last weekend. So much stuff was available, I only could only visit the one. I didn't get to the others!

I have been wanting to replace my grey carpet with a black one. I was just waiting for the right time to order it. But I found an 85 Camaro with black carpet that looked brand new. The front seats were already gone. I looked at the heel pad and it wasn't even scratched. I thought that maybe they had replaced it but then the car had been impounded for some reason. Then I noticed that there wasn't even any dust on the instrument panel. The brake pad wasn't even worn down at all. Not even on the bottom right corner where most of us use the pedal. The gas pedal even looked pristine. The paint job was gone. The door panels were in excellent condition. Can't figure this one out. Maybe grandma bought it and never drove it much. Only showed 23,300 on the odometer. The stock radio cassette player insides were even clean.???

Anyhoo.....I yanked the front and back carpet and paid 9.99 for each portion. I will take out my whole interior this Wednesday and install this stuff. Got some other stuff too, but I will have to post it on another subject board.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears
That's one heck of a find. I was in the boneyard this past weekend too and got a full set of black interior plastics and a near mint dash pad. I was looking at the carpets, but they were all totally trashed and most were damp from the windows being open. The door panels were all trashed too.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:49 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
I was able to find a nice black carpet in a local junkyard near my home. It was wet, had some mildew, dirt, and a ton of ashes in it. I took it home, vaccuumed the heck out of it, shampooed it and steam cleaned it. I also replaced all the jute padding front and rear along with the heavy cardboard backing panel over the gas tank. It came out really well. The total cost to me was about $40.00 and a few hours of my time.:lala: :lala: :lala: :lala:

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 Z-28
Axle/Gears: 02 WS6 Rear w/3:42
You guys make me wanna check my boneyard out
Old 09-25-2003, 11:23 AM

Car: '86 Trans Am
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Posi disc 9 bolt
I installed the carpet yesterday at the automotive hobby shop on the Naval station.

I really didn't realize how much stuff has to come out of the car in order to do the swap. Seats were a given, as well as the console. But all of the qtr panels, door rockers, speaker covers, kick panels, etc.

Took me about 1 1/2 hours to get it all out, keep it in order, nuts and bolts near each other, tools in view and not laid under something.

Now putting in the new stuff.

That took about 2 hours and a friend stopped by to help. Initially I thought the hard part would be getting it to fit under the radio pod, but it slid right in. Front seat holes matched up and rear seat impressions lined up also. The original car had a one piece back and I have the split. The carpet even had the semi-cuts for the wishbone that is installed for the split-back. Cut those open and it fit perfectly.

Now that I have looked at it in the daylight, the grey seats with the black carpeting make a good contrasting set. Dash mat, speaker covers and carpet are black, with grey seats and plastic base panels.

I only had one nut left over from the install. Mission accomplished. It's not complete unless you have left over parts.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:25 PM

I recently got a complete mint interior (carpet, seats, console, dash pad, all plastic, and door panels) from a local junkyard for $200. There are no rips, tears, wear or anything on any of it. I cosdisider this a great find as it came from an 83 Firebird with only 33,000 that had been hit hard in the front. My car is also a 83 Trans Am and I had had zero luck so far trying to find the same blue interior panels.

Gotta love the junkyards,

Robyn
Old 09-25-2003, 09:48 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Hey Robyn,

Which junkyard did you go to, the one out by the airport?

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 08:55 AM

Trickster,

Actually I got it from a small yard in Ridgeway, and was the only third gen that he had. I think the car was "hot" as I could not find a serial number anywhere on it. When I was pulling the interior I found the build sheet and eventually will run a carfax report on it just out of curiosity. The interesting part about it was the car is originally from the same small town in West Virginia where I grew up!!

The one out by the airport is Brock's if I am correct. They have alot of third gens and parts at reasonable prices. I got the set of 82-84 Trans Am ground effects from them for $60 after trying for a year to find them and both headlight motors for an additional $50. Decent guys to deal with.

Robyn

Last edited by Robyn; 09-26-2003 at 08:57 AM.