Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Seat Cover swap questions, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Cover swap questions, please help!!

I ordered a full set of new seat covers from thirdgenresource. The instructions that came with them aren't the greatest, but for the most part, everything is self explanatory. I just have 2 huge questions. On the front seats, how do you seperate the head rest from the seat backs? and 2, how do you get the little **** off of the back of the seats (that faces the rear seats) that's used to put the seat forward (the **** that locks the seats and keeps them from falling forward when on an incline). It looks like it just presses on, but for the life of me can't get it off and I don't want to break it. I can't make any progress until these things are done. Please help me out! Thanks!!!
Old 09-14-2003, 04:30 PM

Nevermind guys, I got them both off now. For anyone that ever needs to do this, when pulling off the little black **** on the back of the seat, be sure to use a tool. I just pulled really hard with my hand and sliced up two of my fingers. When removing the headrest, simply pull really hard.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:23 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: LB8 (2.8L V6)
Transmission: MD8 (Auto)
Good to know since I will be doing this shortly.

Sorry to hear about your fingers.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:41 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
I just ordered the Flame Red "leather-like" covers from Roy at Thirdgenresource. I am not sure if I like them or not because I expected the color to be a closer match than they were.

However, I would like to see some pics of your installed interior from Thirdgenresource. If you can't post them online, please email them to webmaster@bhamfbody.com. I will post pics of mine once I have them installed (I am still waiting on a couple of pieces.)

Also, what kind of tool did you use to remove the **** on the back of the front seats? I sure don't want to slice my fingers if I can help it!
Old 09-28-2003, 10:49 PM

Hey what's up? The upholestry in my car was just fabric, I replaced it with fabric that is supposed to be "as close to stock as possible". I have mine completely finished now. They look really nice. I can post some pics, but I'll have to take some first, I've been busy lately but should be able to post some shortly if you want. As far as getting the black **** off the back of the seat. I didn't want to use any pliers or anything that could possibly gauge or scatch the *****. I ended up taking two large flat blade screwdrivers, putting them both under each side of the black **** and against the back of the seat, apply even pressure on both of them and pry it off. It sends the **** sailing through the air, but it's better than catching your fingers on the metal underneath the **** that it snaps onto, its pretty sharp, you'll see what I mean when you get it off. I thought about getting the leather like fabric, I can't remember if it costs more... I ended up not doing it just because I thought it might look out of place in my car. I don't know, nothing else is leather, the insides of the door panel are fabric as well, I just thought it would look funny on my car at least. My car is mostly stock, (and in pretty nice shape for an 86) but I guess I just didn't feel it was worthy enough for super sweet seat covers. I'll try to get the pics up soon, have fun doing your covers, it's really not that bad!
Old 09-29-2003, 01:10 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98 TPI
Hint for headrest removal....

Get yourself a strip of home heating duct aliminum (about 1" wide by however long you want (I use 10")

Lift up the headrest

Slide the piece of aluminum down between the headrest metal shaft and the front of the guide unitl the piece stops. Bend the aluminum as necessary.

Once the piece stops, push down on both the headrest and the aluminum piece. This is to put the aliminum piece between the stop on the inside of the headrest guide and the shaft of the headrest.

Once the headrest is about 3/4 down, start pulling the headrest up WHILE LEAVING THE ALUMINUM PIECE IN PLACE. The headrest should just slide out. No hard pulling necessary.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:04 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Thanks for the tips guys! ThirdgenResource made a slight mistake on the carpet color on the back of the rear seats and the bottom of the door panels (i.e. wrong color red). However, Roy was quick about responding to it and is willing to make it right for me.

So, I am waiting to get that issue squared away before I can start my seat cover install. I am just waiting to see what I need to do next as far as getting the peices replaced with what I need.

Wish me liuck!
Old 09-29-2003, 03:20 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98 TPI
Good luck! I just redid my interior and it is tedious but worthwhile work.