Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Paint

Was actually wondering if anyone might know a good website that sells paints (with samples, looking for some pearl finishes and such) and also if anyone knows what the stock shade of red is and the company that made it for the 84 camaro
Old 09-09-2003, 09:52 PM

Car: 1987 GTA Hardtop
Engine: 350 T. P. I.
my 2 cents worth....

The easiest way to answer this question is just go to your local automotive paint store. They will have the books to get the code for 84, or should be able to narrow it down for you, as well as have books & books & books of different color chips, including pearls and candies too. Most automotive paint manufacturers have formulas for most late model cars, even your 84 camaro.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Supreme Member

ICI ValuPro

I just painted my car myself and i used ICI ValuPro, I forget the site that i ordered it from but go to good and search for "ICI ValuPRO" it will come up. I useed their basecoat/clearcoat system and i will tell you what. For the price i paid...DIRT CHEAP....it came out nice. All i did for ordering my paint was...tell them the year make etc etc of you car and they will get you the paint coat, mix up a gallon of paint and ship it out to you. If you go with their BC/CC line like i did then you get to reduce that 1:1 and you get 2 sprayable gallons for $90 ( paint was 60 and reducer was 30). It is WAY worth it. I also used their primers, the epoxy over the metal(striped the car to metal) and then 3 coats of their Primer Surfacer, wet sanded with 400 and put on 3 coats of color and 2-3 coats of clear(hood/trunklid/spoiler/tonneau cover got 3). Man. I love it. It has only been 3 months but it is still holding up just like the day i finished it.....it is fairly flexable, but i skipped on the flex ajent and i am payin for it, b/c i hit a dear and i got about a 3" dia spider wed on the nose....the place that sells you the paint won't just order 1 can of flex agent, so look up ICI online, (PPG now owns them) and talk to a rep and they will hook you up with a local store you can call to have some sent out to you, they will even give you the part number for the flex agent, there are some pearls and what not avaiable for it but i was gonna put pearl in my car so i just got House of Kolors DRY, has to be the DRY pearls. Look in to this online, sit down and look up things, get interested and you will be amazed and what you can find.