Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Carpet questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
Carpet questions.

Anyone make carpet for our cars that is not ACC carpet?

I recently bought ACC carpet and for molded carpet it doesn't remotely fit the contours of our floor pans. The stuff sucks ***. There is no getting around it. The so called center console cutout wasn't worth two squirts of ****. It wasn't the right shape length or anything. Mind you I don't do this kind of work everyday, but I have done carpet installation in cars before. I have worked with molded carpet before. And this is the worst I have ever seen.

The carpet is to large and bunches up in the wrong places. About the only place I got it to fit right was the passenger side floorboard up but the firewall. It fit nice right up to where you have to punch holes for the seats. That was it.

The carpet is ruined to say the least. I ended up cutting it wrong around the center console. But with the way it fit and it being 8 hours later I am not messing with it even if it wasn't cut wrong.

If anyone else makes carpet I would love to try it. If no one else does than I will buy more of that crap and have someone professional do it. That way if they screw up they get to pay for it.

Anyone know anyone in Dallas that can do carpet installations? As always any advice is appreciated.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:34 PM

Received 367 Likes on 286 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
I thought my ACC carpet was wrong too, but after letting it get hot in the sun....it seemed to smooth right out. Yeah, it does need some cutting, and as you found out, you need to be careful.

Patience young grasshoppa'
Old 07-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

I let it get hot in the sun. I left it out in the drive way for an hour or so and It was plenty flexible. It just really doesn't seem to work worth a damn.

Either way my carpet is ruined. At least my passenger area stuff. I cut the center console to large so a little of the underneath is exposed now. That's my fault. And I am not at all happy about how the back seat area turned out. Then to make matters worse I had some items left inside the car. Motor oil and transmission fluid. One of the bottles leaked all over it and soaked into the carpet. So it's pretty much all screwed up now. So I am out $150.00.

I'd really hate to mess this up again. Does anyone know anyplace in Dallas to get this professionally done? I don't ever want to mess this up agian. I was so close to having a mint interior and my dream turned into a nightmare.

If there is anyone on this board who has done this installation before I would even be willing to pay them to do it when I get new carpet. I don't want to mess with this anymore. However I would like to see proof of their skills. Like say seeing their installation first.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
I took the e-brake handle off my car I noticed before I started putting it in that the hole wasn't long enough to include the brake. After I got it centered where I wanted it I cut the seat bolt holes. Then put some washers and nuts to hold down the carpet. I then cut the spot for the ebrake handle, its just the size of the handle. Then I cut the rear seat hold downs out. Then I did the seat belt bolt holes the seat belt bolt holes were the hardest to do. It fit almost as good as the old did. I have 2 spots that I will have to glue down to keep from wrinkling. hope this helps if you decide to do it yourself again.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:09 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Mine installed in under an hour (not including taking everything apart and putting it back together) in my GTA. Absolutely 100% perfect fit. I had to trim the center console area, but that's to be expected. if they make the hole too big, you're really screwed, so they leave it small and you have to trim a little bit. I had to trim about an inch off each side of the door-sill area too.

This was my first carpet install and I couldn't have been happier with how it came out. I didn't even leave the carpet in the sun for long... maybe a half hour in the late afternoon. At first it didn't seem to fit right, but once I realized that it was too far back, I trimmed the area around the e-brake a couple inches so it could slide farther forward, and then it fit like a glove. Maybe yours is still too far back??

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 07-29-2003 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Supreme Member

Actually it was to far back at first. It isn't the length that makes it not fit. It's more than that. I expected to do some trimming. What really sucks is how the center console area doesn't fit worth a damn. I'm having the worst issues with keeping if from bunching up around the center console and on the hump in the back.

Anyway after getting transmission fluid on it and cutting the center console too much I have to get new carpet anyway. I appreciate the advice. It might help when I attempt it again. Any other tips would be helpfull for the next go. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
Jim85IROC are those factory seats? they look like the recaro's in a BMW M3, but either way I think that is the first saddle color interior I like, Looks good. Yea you have to watch for it being too far back, once I got it in the right spot it worked fine.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:30 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Those are Flo Fit seats. They are by far the most comfortable seats I've ever had. I hesitated on putting them into the GTA because I wanted to recover them and put them in my IROC, but I really need to sell the GTA soon, and I needed to use the seats, so in they went. I'm also quite fond of the beechwood interior. When I got it, it was filthy and disgusting, so I really didn't like it, but once I got it cleaned up, I found that it's really a great color.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi
I also installed acc's carpet in my Formula this spring and all i really had to trim was the console area and under the radio pod.

i had to pull it out 3-4 times for trimming but that was because i didn't want to trim too much.
hopefully it'll work out for ya.