Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Security issues please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Iroc
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700-r4
Security issues please help

Alright well yesterday i went out to my car after work, look over at my nice pioneer gone and just wires in its place. I called the police and filed a report blah blah i get nothing you know the usual. All i have is liabiltiy on the car so it's all out of pocket. They destroyed the center counsel and all the mounting crap, and destroyed my faceplate when the popped it off. Sorry for rambling but what do you guys do to deter that crap w/o spending big $ on an alarm? I already bought a new head unit with a detachable face last night and am in the process of reinstalling it now, and i will keep the face with me. Im considering things like fake flashing LED's in the door by the window that kinda stuff. ohh yea he got in by jimmying(sp) my passenger side door open, door seems to be fine though. Thanks guys this just really irked me and i would really like to avoid a repeat
Old 07-25-2003, 10:33 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
Get one of those kits that lets you basically bolt your deck to the sheet metal in the car body. I've seen how they work, and it's not going ANYWERE if its bolted down with this.

I'll let you know if i remember the name of it...

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
This might sound a little bit unusual to you. But one of the best deterents is not to have anything in the car worth the trouble. Detachable faces on stereos are only worth while if you use them. If all things are equal, meaning the same stereo in the same two kinds of cars and one has the face and one does not the theif will go for the one that has the face. If there is no face than the theif usually won't bother. As finding a face that will work is either impossible or not worth the effort.

Some times thieves will break into vehicles to go through bags or other things that might be left in the car. So I leave nothing. Not even trash in my vehicles. I leave nothing to chance.

There is no full proof method to prevent anything from happening. But something is better than nothing.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
ive gotten alot of stuff stolen from my cars..

on my 82 i had my stereo stolen from the high school parking lot TWICE...

after that, i did somthing that sounds kinda wierd....

i wired a simple alarm so that if the stereo was disconnected, it would go off... used a simple relay for that.... then i used a piece of stout cable and sent it thru the case and mounted it to the car..... but i routed it so that the cable let the stereo get pulled out enough that you can disconnect the wires...

then, since i suspected it was during 2nd or 3rd lunch, i waited within earshot of my car...

sure enough 3 days later.... it went off.... didnt catch the ****er, but i figured out who it was.

he was expelled for other ****.... basicly i was the person in charge of installing the new security cams at the school (stupid collombune [sp?]).. so i followed him on camera since a theif steals more then once...

he got expelled for stealling a teachers daughters VHS copy of chicken run.... lol.. expelled for a ****ty movie...

anyhoo thats just a intresting story..

for my vert, i plan on figureing out some kind of simple motion detector system and running a alarm that sounds diffrent the most other car alarms... *shrug*
Old 07-26-2003, 04:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bolt everything down, get any car alarm, and don't leave anything expensive visable. Asside from that unless you have a garage and don't let it out of your sight there is nothing you can do...and some food for thought...the money you just spent on a new reciever and fixing your interior pannels is WAY more than theft and fire insurance is on your car for a year...seriously, I don't know why you people don't have it.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Banned

With a little creative engineering you can make it look stock.

I did it in my old mustang (no hate here ) You take the stock radio's faceplate off (requires a little mechanical skills). Superglue all the buttons and ***** to the face. Now carefully cut an old CD in 1/2 and glue it to the BACK of the stock faceplate so that it will fit in your CD slot when your faceplate is off your good head unit. Now try and counter sink your head unit in the dash about 1/4" in further. You will be able to pop off your faceplate, put your stock one on and it will look stock to the naked eye. A little velcro in a few spots may be necessary depending on the vehicle.

Hope this helps It may take a little bit of engineering skills but its sweet if you get it right. :lala:
Old 07-26-2003, 11:00 PM

Car: '86 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Posi disc 9 bolt
Remember that your losses that are not covered by insurance, can be claimed on that years income taxes, if I'm correct.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
Actually if you bolt it down tight all they are going to do is destory more trying to get it, even if they don't get it yoiu are out a console and probably a window, most wanta be car theives will trash a car they can't get what they broke in for. I have a removable face, and the radio can be pulled out of the dash with some ease. I would rather replace the radio, istead of the console, radio, and anything else they trashed. They aren't going to take a radio w/o a face plate. They would have to find a car with your radio and take the face plate, can't buy the faceplates, and those you can cost asmuch as the radio does. counter sink the radio, take the face and put a peice of black plastic over it. Instant radio delete. I would rather give my radio out than have my car trashed. again.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally posted by Aviator857
Actually if you bolt it down tight all they are going to do is destory more trying to get it, even if they don't get it yoiu are out a console and probably a window, most wanta be car theives will trash a car they can't get what they broke in for. I have a removable face, and the radio can be pulled out of the dash with some ease. I would rather replace the radio, istead of the console, radio, and anything else they trashed. They aren't going to take a radio w/o a face plate. They would have to find a car with your radio and take the face plate, can't buy the faceplates, and those you can cost asmuch as the radio does. counter sink the radio, take the face and put a peice of black plastic over it. Instant radio delete. I would rather give my radio out than have my car trashed. again.

you know.... thats a great point...

i recall them tearing out my $50 just been recovered sail panels just to get at the cheap walmart clearance $9 speakers behind them..