Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

IROC Front Clip - "Repair of Repair"

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IROC Front Clip - "Repair of Repair"

Hello all,

I have a newly acquired 1989 IROC-Z that has recently been discussed on the "History" board. In the process of detailing the car I noticed a seam (bead) running span-wise (Left to Right) on the inside the front wheel well housings (near the top of each one). While this seam is not visible from the engine compartment, its existence on the underside would suggest a front end accident. The front fenders do not bear the VIN "sticker" and the hood has a number from another car.

Click here to see the car

Having said that, I would like the car to appear as "correct and stock" as possible. To get such a stock look would mean, to me, that the seam where the replacement front end was attached should not be in the wheel well. I assume that a better place would be at the firewall or ??? Any suggestions or experience with a front end repair? The car looks and functions fine now, but I want the repair to look as factory as possible (aka to be invisible). I'm also hunting for a parts car to address the repair.

Thanks!

M Randolph
Fallbrook,CA
----------------
63 & 64 Nova SS's (both "projects" for sale)
67 Chevelle SS 396, 4SPD, Non-console
89 IROC-Z (LB9, 5 Speed, No A/C, No nothin')