Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Ram Air II hood and Hood Lift Support?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Ram Air II hood and Hood Lift Support?

I have had my Ram Air II hood on for a month or so and I keep trying to get everything to line up but I have one problem that I can't seem to really solve yet and was hoping to see if anyone else had this problem with their hood. With the hood closed, the passenger side sits almost flush with the fender but the drivers side site up to high. If I push down on it it will go down a bit. Today I disconnect the hood lift support on that side and it seems to bring it down to a more tolerable level. I think since the hood is a lot lighter than the original hood, when I close it the hood lift support doesn't go all the way down like it should to pull the hood down flush with the fender. If i take the support off, it wont stay open by itself. Does anyone have any ideas of trying to get the hood to sit a bit better. I will get some pics soon of it and post what I am talking about. I have also taken off the little bumpers in front so they are not hitting the hood and keeping them up. Any help with this would greatly be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Trans am
i have the excat same problem with my car with the ram air 2 hood. When i got the car back from the body shop it was alligned awesome, then i put brand new 82 camaro for a fiberglass hood struts on.the hood wouldnt close when i put the struts on, the latch had to be moved up a little. I dont know what it is about the struts but they dont let the hood go down as far, right now im just gonna leave it where it is and live with it.
Attached Thumbnails Ram Air II hood and Hood Lift Support?-ta-nice-day-_0170.jpg  
Old 07-16-2003, 09:30 AM

hummmmm
so i'm going to be looking at the same problem when i get around to putting my hood on

great.......

maybe i'll just try it first with my current non-working struts
Old 07-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Trans am
just dont get the ram air 2 hood, im not that happy with it, if it fit perfectly it would be another story, it looks better but when i have thw whole car painted in a few years im putting the stock hood back on . its fine now while im young bet when i get older its back to a stock looking exterior.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:24 PM

Car: 04 Xtreme Blazer
Engine: 4.3L V6
Transmission: 4L60E
wasn't there a stock plastic hood on the crossfire cars?, maybe if you used those struts, it would work better, I know that the struts for the steel hoods are strong as heck, I'd be scared to break a fiberglass hood with the steel hood struts, it's hard to close my stock Iroc hood now
Old 07-17-2003, 07:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally posted by Dave Y
wasn't there a stock plastic hood on the crossfire cars?, maybe if you used those struts, it would work better, I know that the struts for the steel hoods are strong as heck, I'd be scared to break a fiberglass hood with the steel hood struts, it's hard to close my stock Iroc hood now
Originally posted by nolanr0413
i have the excat same problem with my car with the ram air 2 hood. When i got the car back from the body shop it was alligned awesome, then i put brand new 82 camaro for a fiberglass hood struts on.the hood wouldnt close when i put the struts on, the latch had to be moved up a little. I dont know what it is about the struts but they dont let the hood go down as far, right now im just gonna leave it where it is and live with it.
read.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:53 PM

Car: 86 TA
Engine: 305 Carbed. Mainly stock Not running
Transmission: stock
I do not have the ramair hood but I do have a glass hood. I just took my shocks off all together. I know that this is redneckish no offense to anyone because I am a ******* myself but I use a industrial broom handle to hold the hood up while I am working on it. I am in the process of making a Hood support out of some wire to hold it up like on newer cars. Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:50 PM

I had the same problem with mine. I'm guessing you have the shocks that push the hood up like the hatch? One of my shocks was brand new and the other was pretty weak, so it would open funny and one side was higher than the other. I went to a local junkyard and found two shocks that were of equal strength and not as strong as a new one. If you use new shocks it would probably break the fiberglass on the hood so DO NOT use new shocks. There are also rubber stops that the ram air II hood hits when it is seated all the way down. I'm planning to trim those down some so it would make the hood flush all the way through.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
Are you using shocks that are designed for those hoods? I had heard that you couldn't use the stock struts with the RA I and II hoods.