Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

help!!! i backed into a post

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help!!! i backed into a post

Yes thats right It was later at night and i was leaving a friends house and i backed up into a post about 3 feet high, it scraped the edge of my rear passenger side wheel well pretty bad, prolly about 6 inches or so, the rest i think i might be able to buff out. My question is what can i do ? The is a fe places where it went all the way down to the primer, so i know im going to need to have some sort of repainting, is it possible to just blend in this area somehow? Can i simply fill in the scratches with a brush or something, let it dry, and then sand it all down? Or do i have to use an airbrush type of a gun and then sand it? Help, im really upset about this, i just took the car to a show earlier the same day and won first in my class. I dont have a digi camera so i cant show the the damage, but i can answer any questions you guys might have.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:05 PM

Car: 89 formula
Engine: yup its in there
Transmission: no ,i had my shots
sorry about your ride.has it been repainted or original,if painted is it a basecoat/clearcoat and is it a metalic color strait colors you can sometimes build up with a brush then lightly sand smooth then polish . metalic colors need sprayed to make the metalic stand up .most paint co. make blending solvents but new paint systems aren`t really made to spot repair . hope this helped some
Old 07-13-2003, 10:55 PM

the car was repainted about 3 years ago, so the paint is in great shape, It is a basecoat clearcoat, and the color is a fairly high metallic, the scratch is maybe an inch or so long, and is not to the metal, just to the primer, the rest of the scuff looks like it might be able to be buffed out, i am going to give that a try tomorrow and see what i come up with. I would really just like the area to look "decent" im not looking for perfection, i had planned on repainting the car next spring anyways, but i would just like to get through this summer and not be ashamed of it. Thanks for the help guys
Old 07-13-2003, 11:08 PM

Car: 89 formula
Engine: yup its in there
Transmission: no ,i had my shots
try lookig tru paint at a hobby shop model car paint ,or fingernail polish to match your color metalic colors always touch up darkso if its to dark mix in small amounts of silver to lighten it(white will tend to turn it grey)