Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Replacing blower

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003 | 12:17 AM

Replacing blower

My blower for my climate controls doesn't work. If i turn the heat on it can feel a lil heat but not really too much velocity to it. It really sucks when its raining and my defrosters cant get on and I cant see out the window too good. I really wanna get this fixed before I move. I heard to change teh clower switch first because that usually goes bad first. Well How do I do that, where is it. If its not that how do I change the blower motor? It could also might be a relay for the blower where is that. I'm assuming on the firewall. Help me out guys
Old 07-09-2003 | 12:34 AM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
The blower motor is assesable from under the hood, passenger side. Unscrew it put in a new one, there only like 30-40. But to test it turn on the heater, put a test light on the blower motor wireing and see if it lights. I think there is a relay, not sure where it is, probably beside all the other relays under the hood. Find it test there with a light. If you have power at the relay, but not the motor the relay is bad, if you have power at the motor the motor is bad. If you don't have a test light buy one, you can't do anything with a car without one ($4-15).
Old 07-09-2003 | 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 08 Sierra, 08 Silverado, 91 z28
Engine: 5.3, 4.3, 5.7
Transmission: autos
a blower motor is one of those things that it works or it dont, no inbetween. does it only blow air out when u are driving? if so then that is just air going though the system on its own power, and the motor is bad. also it could be a fuse too. if the motor is bad...have fun gettin out the bottem screws..pita. i did it on my old car but i replaced it with one from some other car (make model..no clue someone gave it to me) it blew harder than the old one (not like i used it anyway cause of no a/c) all i had to do was wire it to the car which was really easy..i just guessed and it happend to work right
Old 07-13-2003 | 05:45 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 89cmrodriver
a blower motor is one of those things that it works or it dont, no inbetween. does it only blow air out when u are driving? if so then that is just air going though the system on its own power, and the motor is bad. also it could be a fuse too. if the motor is bad...have fun gettin out the bottem screws..pita. i did it on my old car but i replaced it with one from some other car (make model..no clue someone gave it to me) it blew harder than the old one (not like i used it anyway cause of no a/c) all i had to do was wire it to the car which was really easy..i just guessed and it happend to work right
WRONG!

Blower motors are notorious for going out slowly.....first high goes out, then medium.

I've had 3 go out. First time low/medium would only work, then just went out. Second time only low would work, then went out. Third time (different car) it would only work intermittently.
Old 07-13-2003 | 07:38 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 08 Sierra, 08 Silverado, 91 z28
Engine: 5.3, 4.3, 5.7
Transmission: autos
thanks for correcting me, i was going by my knowledge of how they go out. the 2 ive had go out just stopped. i replace it and it works fine again.
Old 07-13-2003 | 08:43 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Alot of the time it is not the blower it is the resistor pack. There are several resistors that control the speed of the blower they are right on top of the fan unit area in the engine bay. They are replacable. However, if you do not have High it could be the motor because I believe that that speed does not go thru the pack.

Resistor pack circled below
Attached Thumbnails Replacing blower-blower-resistor.jpg