Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

4th Gen Console in _CAMARO_

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 02:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1
4th Gen Console in _CAMARO_

Sorry for yet another console thread, but I've got some unanswered questions:

I've been doing research ALL DAY on this matter and I went to the J/Y to get some measurements.

As you may or may not know, there are 2 ways to install a 4thGen console into a 3RDGEN Camaro.

#1: Cut your Camaro console's radio pod out of the old console and then install the 4th gen console

#2: Get a 3RDGEN Firebird radio pod and fit it into the dash and then install the 4thgen console.

I'm almost certain that I'd rather go with the #2 option. I'm just not confident enough in my ability to make the first option look good.

Anyway, I went to the local yard today and measured a Firebird radio pod. Across the front it was almost identical to the Camaro 10 inches across. If that's true, where/why does the dash need to be cut for it to fit into a Camaro dash? Anyone have any pictures that FOCUS on this (not just of the completed thing)

I am in desperate need of a new center console in my '87 IROC and I can't find a decent priced 3RDGEN one that is in decent shape. I'm hoping that a 4THGEN will be more abundant. Before you say that 3RD's are more adundant, they aren't around here - At least not with the holes for the switches already in them.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 08 Sierra, 08 Silverado, 91 z28
Engine: 5.3, 4.3, 5.7
Transmission: autos
i used to have like 3 of them...lol. Im not sure about the radio pod, but if u get a 93-96 console the cupholder is pointless, i t is 100% guranteed to spill your drink repeatly..lol. go for a 97+ console. I want to do that in my next 3rd gen and get someone at the place i work to fab me up a radio/hvac pod out of sheet metal then ill paint it with spray in bedliner stuff ( so it has texture)