Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Estimate...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Estimate...(help plz)

Hey guys

Not sure you still remember me but... I had an accident a little while back

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=179080

yeah...Im still working with insurance to work out a deal
They Estimated around $10,000 damage... I really dont see how they gave me a readout of everything that was broken can somebody shead some light on why it costs so much?

Readout:

replace fender splash shield -costs 67
replace fender brace -costs 59
replace R front body wheelhouse pannel - costs 556
replace L front body wheelhouse pannel - costs 572
refinish L frnt fender wheelhouse

replace lwr front body side rail - costs 1386!!!!
(whats up with this?? why so expensive??)

replace gfx rocker pannel -costs 309
refinish rocker spoiler
gfx rocker pannel emblem
rocker decal
replace front wheel - 500

r otr frt susp wheel bearing - cost 34
r inr frt susp wheel bearing - cost 26
l inr frt susp wheel bearing - cost 26
r frt susp steering knuckle - cost 479
r frt susp strut - cost 261
r lwr frt susp control arm assy - cost 318
frt susp stabilizer bar - cost 175
r otr steering tie rod end - cost 93
r steering adjusting tube - cost 45
tire - 1

paint matterials - cost 338
shop materials - cost 204
haz waste disposal - cost 4.50

Basically What im asking is is this stuff at cost? or above cost? (keep in mind im in canada) And would it be worth fixing? i have about 3,500 to work with fixing all this. And I could work on fixing only what i need to get it running. progressivly fix the rest...

Thank you ahead of time for anybody taking the time to help me out...

P.S. I really wana keep my Iroc ...

Last edited by Drunken_Polak; 07-07-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:10 PM

Car: 88 Iroc 91 Z28
Engine: 5.0 LB9
Transmission: WC T5 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73
thay did'nt total that?thay totaled my car after thay got to $1700.00 in damage and thay gave me $2700.00 and i kept the car.
Attached Thumbnails Estimate...-mvc-199s.jpg  
Old 07-07-2003, 09:35 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Re: Estimate...(help plz)

Originally posted by Drunken_Polak
Readout:

replace fender splash shield -costs 67
replace fender brace -costs 59
replace R front body wheelhouse pannel - costs 556
replace L front body wheelhouse pannel - costs 572
refinish L frnt fender wheelhouse

replace gfx rocker pannel -costs 309
refinish rocker spoiler
gfx rocker pannel emblem
rocker decal

r otr frt susp wheel bearing - cost 34
r inr frt susp wheel bearing - cost 26
l inr frt susp wheel bearing - cost 26
r frt susp steering knuckle - cost 479
r frt susp strut - cost 261
r lwr frt susp control arm assy - cost 318
frt susp stabilizer bar - cost 175
r otr steering tie rod end - cost 93
r steering adjusting tube - cost 45
tire - 1

paint matterials - cost 338
shop materials - cost 204
haz waste disposal - cost 4.50
You appear to be quoted for everything brand new from GM which can't happen. They apparently missed a piece, I'm not seeing the quote for a jar of vasoline

I come up with roughly $5950 for parts (which is right there). That's $4000 more in labor ..... I'd ask for a second (or 3rd)opinion.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:17 PM

actually they did write it off....thats why I wana see if its worth fixing or not...

I think im gona go with keeping it...
Old 07-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
tell them to try to find and quote prices from savalge yards, if you have a pull apart go and get as much as you can, body parts are usuelly around 20-40 at a yard where you pull the parts, but even a normal yard 50 to 70 for each part. If there is no frame damage like you said in the earler post. YOu could fix if for less than 1k plus paint (1-4k depending on quality)

rebuild the whole front end (300 - 400) tierod ends connectors, draglink, pitman arm(a must after that) and adust out the gear box (I did mine for like 275 autozone advance and NAPA)

The insurance Co will total out the car more than likely(try to keep this from happining). buy the car back and fix it. Try to get 4k for the car, and pay them no more than 500 to get the car back.

I know I know the car isn't technically worth it but you may be able to coax it out of them. But expect a hike in the premiums.

This will sound funny but If you want to keep the car, take it to a place like macco and get a quote (don't let them fix it). That should be cheaper but find out how much you insurance co is willing to pay and get a quote as close as you can.

The local dealer ship wanted 1100 to take off my rear bumper, replace the black bumper pad (forumula) and paint the bumper and install it. Ouch, where I work at had to pay though, they hit it with a push cart. a mom and pop place gave me a quote of 600 and macco gave me a quote of 550. I filed the mom and pop place, I didn't get it fixed though, I bought my spoiler, and decided I would paint the whole car later this year.

Just rember you can get a raged out car with a blown engine and good front clip for 500 or less, at lest around here.

sorry got long winded
Old 07-08-2003, 01:51 AM

Wow thanks!!!

I apreciate the Long windedness ...

Gave me new hope! and lots of great tips!

thanks again!
Old 07-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Estimate...(help plz)

Originally posted by Drunken_Polak
Seems to say that you bent the lower main frame rail on the passenger side, which would account for the high cost.

I think the quote is so high because they don't want to fix the car. Most of that stuff can be had out of a junkyard, and it'll be fine- key parts being the control arm, spindle (steering knuckle), stabilizer bar, fender splash shield (inner plastic fender), lower fender brace (maybe $1 from a junkyard, take it "free" along with buying a fender), and the fenders.

What I think would be best would be to ask a junkyard how much they want to cut off the front passenger side of the car and give it to you. That way you've got all the frame work, lower control arm, strut, etc. Ask a bodyshop to weld the frame on.

I did something similar- and a lot worse. Went under an illegally parked pickup truck; his bumper stopped at the top of my strut tower and mashed everything down and back. Bought a parts Firebird, 1984, for $250. Stripped both down to just an engine- including taking off the heater boxes from the outside AND INSIDE of the firewalls. My body shop swapped the front subframe for $900 and the windshield for $100. Spent another misc $300 or so (radiator, sensors, wires, etc) and was back on the road.

Here's the important point: If you ask a body shop to do this work, tell them you'll strip EVERYTHING outta their way. They don't want to be under the dash taking a heater box out. They don't want to move a wiring harness. They'd love it if they could just cut your cars apart and weld the pieces together. Why? First, less aggravation for them. Second, more money made- instead of tying up their shop for 2 weeks, they can get you out in a day.

Hope that helps... good luck!
Old 07-10-2003, 01:11 PM

Car: 88 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Hey drunken_polak,

Do the work yourself if you can. I hit a deer with my GTA a while back and am now just getting to the hood. I have spent alot of money on it but by doing it myself I have at least saved a couple grand in labor and shopping for parts myself. It smashed d fender, front nose, hood, all of the suports behind the nose, pushed in the radiator support, tore out both headlights, you get the idea!! Fix it up you can do it!! I was not going to let mine go the the grave yard!! :hail: Hear it is now!
Attached Thumbnails Estimate...-ontheway3.jpg  
Old 07-10-2003, 01:12 PM

Car: 88 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Oh yeah I hit the deer at roughly 95 to 100 mph!! Ouch
Old 07-10-2003, 08:12 PM

polock, the estimate is high and your insurance co. should have totaled that car easily. I would call them to find out why they did not. oh while I am thinking about it the frame rail is so expensive because the shop will have to section in a new one.

Your better off buying a new one unless you can do the work. if you pay the shop to do it the cheapest way to fix this to find a lkq front clip and have the shop section it in. I bet you could find a front clip for 1200.00 us and you could be in business for around 3000-4000 us. with paint labor etc.......

I would call the adjuster now and talk with his boss, I have totalled cars at the same value as our camaros with less damage than that a million times over.