Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Should I get a GM or aftermarket fender?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro
Engine: ZZ4 Crate Engine w/Hot Cam
Transmission: Rebuilt 700R4 with Transgo and MW 3
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Eaton Posi
Should I get a GM or aftermarket fender?

I have a 92 RS and it needs a new front passenger fender. I've heard some nightmares about aftermarket crap lining up though. But I also have nightmares on how I am going to pay for the GM stuff!!!!

Is it really worth it to get the over priced GM Stuff??

Has anybody acutally use an aftermarket front fender? If so could you tell me what brand it was please.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:49 PM

Check Hawks and Thirdgenresource for used fenders. They are pretty cheap and are usually in great condition. I got mine the other day and all I have to do to prep them is scuff them up for the new paint.

Much much cheaper then new GM and still cheaper then aftermarket.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:57 PM

Car: 1983 Firebird S/E
Ya, used ones are easy to find. They are better than aftermarket as well.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:14 PM

Car: See pic above
Engine: Too Small
Transmission: Broken
Do used! I asked at the dealer $454 for a new pass. side fender! I still got kind of screwed at $150 for a used one, but when I checked with a few specialized dismantlers, they told me it would have to be shipped freight, and it would cost twice what the fender did to have it sent to me.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:06 PM

How much for the shipping?

I've decided to go the used route but whenever I find one they **** me over with the shipping. Always >100 for a $75 fender!!!!!!!!!!

Is this what you guys are getting?? The thing isnt that heavy afterall. I had 2 iron heads shipped for $50 - much heavier than this I'm sure.

Old 06-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
Definatly get a used one. Aftermarket body parts suck. They are thinner, and sometimes not dimmensionally correct. GM fenders are great, but like you, its alot of money for a piece of sheetmetal. Used ones can be a gamble, because you don't always know if the junkyard car had a fender replaced before. I got a used fender and it still had the VIN number on the inside, so I knew it was an OEM panel.

And its not so much as being heavy, but its OVERSIZED, so it had to be shipped freight.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:03 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42 Posi LS1
yeah everbody is right get a gm or used fenders i got aftermarket for mine cut in the paint dropped on the fender fond out the body lines didnt match and sent back same problem with the second set so my advice get gm
Old 06-17-2003, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1983 Trans Am
Engine: N/A
Transmission: N/A
Hawks... buy used from Hawks... he is an awesome guy, and will be sure to get you a good one.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:53 PM

And its not so much as being heavy, but its OVERSIZED, so it had to be shipped freight.
That's what I was told. It's too big for UPS or Fedex (which I think is BS cause I had my racing seats delievered by fedex) so they have to put it on a pallet and have it shipped truck frieght. If you have a bunch of other stuff to buy, it might be worth it, since they charge based on the amount of pallet space, not the weight. Otherwise just check around locally, it took me 3 weeks of calling local yards before one finally got one in.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:43 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/3.27
I tried an aftermarket passenger side fender on my Formula when it was being repaired. The only problem I noticed was the point where the front edge of meets the bumper cover. The seam is tight. This could possibly be from the hit or the panel since the alignment for the drivers side is just slightly off by a hair as well.
Otherwise the body lines and everything else turned out good. Don't get me wrong,I'd much rather have a real GM unit but for now it'll do the job.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Hardtop
Engine: LB9 w/G92 Pkg
Transmission: T5 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt, 3.45
I also recommend buying a used GM fender. I bought a repro RF fender (made by "Cobra King") and couldn't get it to line up perfectly. If the center body line was straight, the rocker body line was off 1/4" and vice versa. Also: the repro fender didn't have the antenna hole. I planned on shaving it anyway, but if you are putting the stock antenna back on, you're going to have to drill.

A good tip when buying used body parts is to bring a refrigerator magnet with you and run it over the panel to check for bondo. If the magnet doesn't stick, there's body filler in the panel. Obviously, you don't have that option if you buy over the internet though.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:58 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10bolt, 2.73
If a bodyshop is doing all the work on one's car, would they be able to someone make an aftermarket fender sit correctly?

Shipping from the U.S. (for a rust free fender) to Canada is going to be crazy, so I'm okay with biting the bullet and going aftermarket.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:11 PM

Shipping from the U.S. (for a rust free fender) to Canada is going to be crazy, so I'm okay with biting the bullet and going aftermarket.
Isn't going to be the same thing as far as shipping goes??? Same size, almost the same weight for an aftermarket piece to be shipped from the same place?
Old 06-20-2003, 05:21 PM

Whenever I buy something from the states, I pay 14% tax based upon the insured value. I bought blisters for 110 USD, but they were insured for 200 USD. Ouch.

There's often a handling fee (somewhere between 5 and 15 CDN) and sometimes brokerage (I've paid up to around 60 CDN). If customs doesn't think the part was made in the U.S. for any reason, then I also pay duty (which is a real pissoff after all the other fees). I can get a refund on duty if I prove it is actually a product of the U.S., but the last time I filed for a refund, it took over 6 weeks to be processed.

There's a warehouse in my city that stocks Cobra King aftermarket body panels. A fender's 100 cdn, a quarter's 175 (I think). I'd rather pay them and walk away with my part, than buy a used one for the same amount and pay at least the same amount again to get it.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:28 PM

Whenever I buy something from the states, I pay 14% tax based upon the insured value. I bought blisters for 110 USD, but they were insured for 200 USD. Ouch.
and I thought OUR government was intrusive. DAMN!!!
Old 06-20-2003, 05:33 PM

And all of that's on top of whatever the freight company charges for a cross border run.

So, if an aftermarket panel doesn't sit correctly do you have to just buy another one, or can a bodyshop still work with it?
Old 06-20-2003, 06:21 PM

They can try and work with it, but ultimately, if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit. The tolerances on aftermarket panels are a lot greater than on OEM, so you may find that the first few don't fit and the third or fourth one does.

I know when I was in an accident, I asked the guy at the repair shop about the aftermarket parts, because farmers insurance only wanted to pay for that, and not an OEM one ( ). He told me that they'll order the aftermarket part cause of the insurance, but if it doesn't fit, they'll send it back and order and OEM one and tell the insurance company too bad.

How much damage is there to the fender? You may do better to have the shop try and repair it as opposed to using an aftermarket one. Them spending an hour to pull dents costs the same as them spending an hour trying to get an aftermarket fender to line up right.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:38 AM

Car: 1990 RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH-350
i just etch-primed my aftermarket fender today, then i primed it and bolted it up to see how it was gonna fit.....PERFECT...got it shipped to my door for like 74 bux. i cant even remember the name of the place i got it, but the fender was a Parts Of America fender. painting tommorow after i get it edged in. also fixing a dent in my door. so not only do i get to blend the door in, i get to buff buff buff. lots of fun
Old 06-21-2003, 03:07 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 307
Back when I had my Camaro I replaced the DS fender, no I dident smack it. Cost me $45 from Certifit, $12 S&H. Fit no problem took paint very well and was almost as thick as the original. Used parts have too many hidden supprises, sand here metal sand there bondo sand there again OH hidden rust. I'm sure Hawks sells good stuff but I wouldent pay more for a used one then a new one.