Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

For everyone that was wondering.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 06:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
For everyone that was wondering.....

Ok. I have now had a chance to test out the Krylon Fusion paint. It comes in only about four colors according to the sales guy. Only one of which belongs in a car. That is the black.

I painted my worn and tired rear cargo area plastics. The nozel on the can was very easy to work with. The spray went in in thin coats and after about three coats and minimal prep work the part looks almost like new.

This was one piece that was in sad shape. Alot of minor scratching and a couple bad gouges. Anyway after the painting I can only see the two or three gouges and barely even that. The paint is scratch resistant and somewhat chip resistant. According to the can it has to sit for 7 days or so to fully cure.

However after about a day it's ready for installation. Other than looking at the back of the part it is nearly impossible to tell that the part did not come in black. I am very impressed with the results. Now I am going to do the rest of my plastics in it.

It was about 6$ for a can. Kinda high but it seems to go a fairly long way. If you are looking to convert your plastics to black this is the stuff.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 305HO L69
Transmission: T5
according to kyrlon's website, fusion is available in 16 different colors, however they don't list them. i called my local hardware store to see if they carry it, they said they have all the colors, i'm going to stop by to check them out. i will write down all the colors when i go. if they have it, i'm going to spray all my plastics with dark grey, if not, i'll just go with black.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
Where I work at the computer says we have the Charcol Grey but I cant find it when I find It I plan on buying some and spraying a piece (cracked no longer used) and letting it cure up for a week and then testing how easy it is to scratch/chip/ and other wise mess up,

I don't want to do my car if it is going to scrape easy, and I hope its a few shades darker than the grey pieces, so it matches the 4th gen seats better.

EDIT: I miss read the computer that was another plastic paint that was grey sorry, but I hope they have it.

Last edited by Aviator857; 06-17-2003 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
The Sherwin Williams guy said that it came in four colors and they were all nasty. Nothing resembling a grey. That is what I was really hoping for. Something that would restore the look of my grey plastics.

I really want to keep the interior grey. Dallas is just to hot for black. Especially when the AC isn't working.

The AC is just one of the many things I have to take care of with my car.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 305HO L69
Transmission: T5
there are 16 available colors according to the krylon web site. i went to my local hardware store, they had a chart with all 16 colors. there is only 1 color that really belongs in a car, and that's black. there's a darker blue that might not be too bad in something custom, but it's not an everyday interior color. there's a white that would look cool in a custom interior with the artic white leather 4th gen seats, but not something you could use on a daily driver. the rest of the colors are nasty blues, greens, pinks, etc. i was extremely dissapointed there were no grey's. i just went with black instead.