Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Anyone w/ 4th gen Dash who used 4th gen gauges

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 12:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone w/ 4th gen Dash who used 4th gen gauges

Were you able to get all of them to work?

Where did you find the wiring diagrams for both the 3rd and 4th gen dashes?

Any problems I should be aware of before I start this swap?

My car's a 91 so I shouldn't have to worry about the VSS signal, right? The donor car's a 95 Formy, so I shouldn't have to worry about the tach being off.

Any help is appreciated greatsly, and if you have any in detailed explanations/pictures, they can be mailed to Ovrclck350@yahoo.com
Old 06-10-2003, 05:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
I would get the info for you but I'm pressed for time. Do a search on '4th gen dash' and look for a post by Sofaking titled 'Who said swapping in a 4th gen dash was hard?'. Also look for a post by CustomX. I believe both of those threads have the wiring diagrams for the 4th gen cluster. As for the tach and speedo, you might need a conversion box. Dakota Digital makes the VSS signal conversion box. If the tach does not work, I believe MSD makes a tach conversion box. You will need to make custom brackets to do the install and if you plan to do the A/C ducting as well then that will take some time. Since you're swapping in a firebird dash, you might want to install some guages in the middle A/C vents before installing. It will look nice and flush, alot of 4th gen guys do this. Only problem I've ever heard of with the 4th gen clusters is the fuel guage and odometer not reading, but those were on 98+ LS1 guage clusters so you dont have to worry (95 cluster should work great!).
Old 06-10-2003, 06:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. I did a lot of searches, but many of the threads I looked through contained a lot of useless bull**** like "Hey, that looks great..blah blah blah" I'll see if I can find those threads you mentioned.

My 2 favorite cars I've seen with the conversion so far are IHI and CustomX IIRC.