Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Anyone know?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: 350
Transmission: Auto
Anyone know?

Hey, I'm really stumped here. I just swapped my 91 z28 dash out for an 87 trans Am one. It was my first time doing it, so It took a few days of straight working. I've got everything in now, but I still have a few wiring problems at the gauges.

First, I really need to know if anyone knows for sure which wires go where on an 87 Trans Am gauge, and if possibly, anyone knows the same for the wires on the camaro gauges. The only things that aren't working right now are the speedo, and temperature gauges, along with the lights on the dash (Not the idiot lights, they all work, the dash just doen't light up when I turn the headlights on. Oh, and the tach is off. It works, but only goes up to three grand. Seems like it just reads have of what the RPM's should be. Probably just the wrong wire...

please, if anyone has any info, please post it. I've been trying to get them all working for days, but I still have these problems. I'm afradi if I take the dash apart again, I'll just screw something else up.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:34 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
The Dash light wires should be Gray... About the same color as the background when you type text for the site.

Don't know about the others. You may have to remove the Instrument panel and trace the wires back to the plug...

John
Old 06-06-2003, 10:32 PM

thanks for the info on the dash lights. One quick question though, is that wire the same for both cars, or if not, which car has the grey wire?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2003, 07:32 AM

you should check on the main page of this site, there is a tech section which has alot of the wiring diagrams for various cars, yours may be on there. the temp wire for the TA is dark green and the Tach wire on the TA is off white or light tan. I'm not sure about the camaro colors but check the tech page it may have them.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:00 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
usually GM tried to make the colors consistant throught all of the lines, for example, my 67 Riv, my 90 Riv, my 83 Riv, my 87 Firebird, and my 1995 Riv all use the gray wire for the dash lights...

John
Old 06-07-2003, 09:56 PM

usually GM tried to make the colors consistant throught all of the lines
That's what I was told, too...

But, when I cut the plugs for the dash cluster of the camaro, and wired the wires to the Trans Am's plugs, after I matched up the colored wires, there were a few left over. For example, a green wire with a black stripe that doesn't match up to anything.

Also, I have no idea what any of the wires do (besides the gray one being for the lights now ) and that some gauges work and others don't right now. There were a few wires of the same color. For example, IIRC there were three sets of black wires. Since I didn't know which one was supposed to go to what, I just tied them all together. Now, I don't know if that is making things work, or keeping them from working. You know what I mean? And now, I'm afraid that if I go back out, and take everything apart again (PITA) that I'll either make some other things work, while screwing things up that are working now, or just keep other things from working.

And I guess it wouldn't be possible to check the voltage from each wire to see what should go where, because the wires from the gauges wouldn't be hooked up, so they wouldn't have any power (Besides, I don't think that checking the voltages would even be possible)

Alright, that's enough rambling for now. So, I guess if anyone has any other info for me, please...I really need it.