Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Dieing factory carpet back to original condition?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!
Dieing factory carpet back to original condition?

Is there any way to die the factory carpet with-out removing it from the vehicle. If so, what do you use and how well does it hold up?
Old 06-05-2003, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Honestly, new carpet isnt that expensive and changing it is not that difficult. Take a weekend to do it. Before you put each panel back in, clean it good. You'll be surprised how clean the interior is when your done.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:34 PM
Banned

Well my carpet was just stained and faded from the sun. Its light grey so I bought some slate grey dye from Pep Boys and took the seats out and taped everything up and sprayed it on. I guarantee you that you won't know its not brand new carpeting. I wish I had a few pics... Maybe ina few days. Its definitely better to spend $12 on spray dye than $150 or more on new carpet if you don't need it. Plus you can also dye the sail panels and the door panels if you want. It will turn out great. :hail: :lala:
Old 06-05-2003, 08:41 PM

my friend dyed his carpet in the cargo area of his 85 vette and it looks brand new. You cant tell a difference between the died carpet and brand new carpet he bought for the front of the car. Saved him a few hundred bucks.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:51 PM

Car: '97 Z28
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: M6
How about cloth seats. Can you dye them too?
Old 06-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Supreme Member

I would need black die (black carpet). Who makes it and how long does it take to dry? After if dries, if your clothes rub the carpet, will it still get on your clothes?
Old 06-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Banned

The dye dries in less than an hour and never leaves stains on anything.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:48 PM

Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: L98
Transmission: 4L60
Where can you buy this magic dye in a spray can? I'd like to give it a whirl myself.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Banned

Got mine at Pep Boys right by the paint and stuff. Its multi-use. Fabrics, vinyl, etc. Works like a charma nd beats shelling out $ for new carpet.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:38 AM
Supreme Member

Do you know what this stuff in a can is called?

For example, to cleaner for carb's is (Berryman's Chemtool)

What mfg. makes the stuff and what's the product called?
Old 06-10-2003, 08:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,053 Likes on 749 Posts
Yeah, its called spray paint.

As with everything, there is a right way and a wrong way. The right way to fix faded/stained carpet, is to replace it. The wrong way is to spray paint it.

I've gone both routes. I spray painted the carpet in my daily driver and I put new carpet in one of my others. Considering the drivers a beater, it doesn't matter that the carpet looks like ****. On the other hand I wouldn't even think about taking a car with painted carpet to a carshow.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Drew
Yeah, its called spray paint.

As with everything, there is a right way and a wrong way. The right way to fix faded/stained carpet, is to replace it. The wrong way is to spray paint it.

I've gone both routes. I spray painted the carpet in my daily driver and I put new carpet in one of my others. Considering the drivers a beater, it doesn't matter that the carpet looks like ****. On the other hand I wouldn't even think about taking a car with painted carpet to a carshow.
No offense but you don't know what you're talking about. The carpet dye is NOT spray paint. It is a very good alternative to buying new carpet. I take my car to shows all the time and not one person has asked me about the carpet. In fact if I were to post pics I bet even you couldn't tell the difference Drew. But since the almighty has spoken then I guess everybody should just go out and buy new carpet because Drew sez dying carpet is the wrong way to fix it. Just because something didn't work for you for whatever reason doesn't mean you know squat about how it worked for me and other people that have had good results.

People- Drew is one guy. So far the only one that has some NEGATIVE input on this subject. Please don't take his word. Give things a try for yourself. If it doesn't work out buy new carpet. What do you have to lose? $5 for a can of spray paint
Old 06-10-2003, 08:36 AM

SEM and Duplicolor both make fabric / plastic dyes that work very well. Of course, when you try to dye a dark color to a lighter color, you will need alot of thin coats to prevent bleeding.

As for replacing the carpet...if it's torn, I can understand that. But coming from someone who worked at a new / used car dealership, with a few hours, those detail guys could turn a low $$$ high mileage trade in into a sparkling jewel in no time.

Alot of people don't even use floormats and their carpet gets stained very easily.

Friend of mine was ready to replace the carpet in his '93 Z28, since the previous owner was a slob, and with the light tan interior there were coffee and other stains all over.... After a good steamcleaning with my wife's carpet cleaner ( shhh...don't tell ) and a few light coats of fabric dye, the interior looked brand new...and that was more than a year ago, and even after being driven daily, it still looks great.

As for aftermarket carpet, the simple, sad truth is that I've YET to see a replacement carpet that was as nice / durable as the GM original stuff. I've tried more than a few carpet lines too...

On several project cars in the past, I've scored nice carpet from a parts car / junkyard and dyed it to match. And not once did it ever look hacked or nasty. In fact everyone thought I had bought new carpet...

HTH
Old 06-10-2003, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

I have black carpet and it's still in decent shape. However, in some area's it's fading a little. I think I'm gonna try the black fabric dye and then finally get arround to buying some nice floor mats for the car. I think it will turn out nice!

thanks!

Mike (1bad91Z)
Old 06-17-2003, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1983 Trans Am
Engine: N/A
Transmission: N/A
I dont want to buy new carpet, I was thinking of dying the trunk comparment, and just buying new passenger compartment. But since the dye's seem to work I will give it a try.

But how should I repair this?

And how would I change the color of the foot rest on the left, and that plastic mat thing below the pedals?

Last edited by Midnight Sun; 06-17-2003 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:05 PM

Car: 82' Z28 IROC Clone (SOLD)
Engine: 355
Transmission: Built TH-350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
I did my whole red interior black it turned out great!... I picked mine up for $5 a can from NAPA. It says Fabric Carpet anbd Vinyl Die...My carpet looks AWESOME!!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 09:24 PM

Car: '97 Z28
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: M6
Did my front seats. Plasticoat "Ebony" (black). Covered well. Dried enough in one hour to re-install them. Thanks to everyone who posted. I didn't know they sold this stuff.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:14 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird V6
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: auto
Where can I buy one (black) on the internet???

I am live in Taiwan

Thanks

joe
Old 06-20-2003, 03:28 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 LG4 & 92 TBI Firebird
Engine: The Mighty 305!
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Originally posted by joekickass
Where can I buy one (black) on the internet???

I am live in Taiwan

Thanks

joe
www.summitracing.com sells VHT brand dye.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:59 AM

Received 180 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
I had a car with the grey carpet that was stained from a previous owner. He did construction and didn't believe in floor mats. I tried for months to get this carpet cleaned and couldn't do it. I called a professional shop that dyed the carpet for me. It looked great....in the beginning. As I continued to vacuum and clean the car regularly, I noticed the dye fading out and the dirt stains returning. This was under the floor mats, so it wasn't new stains. For a short term fix, I might try dye, but if I want it to look new again, I'd replace the carpet. I agree with Drew on this one. Some people are very picky about the condition of a car. Drew and myself will notice the difference. I've seen alot of people here say that a car was clean and in excellent shape. I would not think it's clean enough and the condition might only be ok to me. It's all in perception. Use the dye if you like it, replace the carpet if you don't.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1983 Trans Am
Engine: N/A
Transmission: N/A
Of course, there is probably a correct way to dye it and not to dye it.

(inform me if this overkill)

Remove all interior pieces, carpet, seats, center consoles plastic panels and that insulation mat.

Check the interior body for rust.

Thoroughly clean interior metal.

Thouroughly clean caprpet and insulation mat.

Dye.

Put everything back.