Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

90-92 dash/guage cluster swap ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt 3.42
90-92 dash/guage cluster swap ?'s

I might be swapping out my dash and guage cluster with one from a 91z. I have a few questoins that the last 3 hours of looking through previous posts on this hasn't answered:
1. I have already done the 730 SD swap, so i won't need a vss buffer b/c the 730 ecm does this, right?

2. The speedo for the 90-92's is electronic so i won't need my speedo cable anymore. once i unhook it, what do i cover the hole in the tranny with? i doubt i should just leave it open and what about the speedo (driven?) gear inside? is that still necessary?

3. The wire for the vss runs from the vss on the tranny to the ecm and then to the speedo, correct? what pin on the wiring harness does the wire from the vss on the tranny run to? and what pin on the wiring harnes does the wiring run from it to the speedo?

4. I understand i'm gonna have to repin the connectors for the guage cluster. The only chart i've found is the changes from an 84 camaro to a 91. is this gonna be the same for me also or are there gonna be some differences? if so, what are they?

Any help would be appreciated. (not considering "just do a 4th gen swap" actual help to my questions/problem.) almost every post i've read on this subject has either ended up with people just saying to do a 4th gen dash swap or turned into a flame war with people arguing about who's right about conflicting info with no definitive answer on what's right. someone should gather all the *correct* info and do a tech article. This seems to be a pretty common thing people are doing now. i think a tech article would be a good idea. (i know there's already one for hooking up an electric speedo in a firebird but there's really more going on here than just that)
Old 05-20-2003, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
A tech article with step by step instructions would be very helpful.

I want to do this same swap in mine, but still have some questions and I don't want to start the swap to find out that something won't work.

Also, if anyone has pictures of each phase of the swap would be nice to see too. Just to give us an idea of what to look for when removing, and installing everything.