Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Gauge cluster swap… HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge cluster swap… HELP

I have recently purchased a used gauge cluster from a 1991 Z28 off ebay and need some questions answered before I try installing it in my 1992 RS. Any assistance you can offer would be appreciated. I know this is long but please read it and help if you can. Thanks.

1. I was told that the odometer didn’t work when I bought it. Is their any way that I can check and see if it’s actually broken before I install it, because I am thinking it could have been the cable going to the odometer and not the gauge itself? If the odometer is not working can I repair it or would it be easier just to swap the odometer from my old gauge cluster into the current one?

2. I have already taken the needle off of my speedometer and would like to take the others off so I can remove the yellow paint on the back and go for a custom look. Would it be possible to apply power to some part of the cluster without installing it so that I could set each gauge to zero and then re-install the needles? If so how do I do this? What voltage and type of power do I apply and to where?

3. As mentioned above I plan on painting the needles. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of paint I should use to get them to glow either red or blue?

4. I am also installing a set of custom reverse style gauge overlays and don’t know what type of glue to use to affix them to the front of the cluster. Any suggestions?

5. Will I need to re-calibrate anything to get the 145 mph speedometer to work correctly or do I only need to swap gauge clusters?

6. My car currently can’t go faster than 110 mph because of GM’s speed limiter. Is their any way I can overcome this limitation and still have my speedometer working correctly? I have read several tech articles on this subject but all of them require installing a toggle switch on the vehicle speed sensor which causes the speedometer to stop working. Could I possibly interrupt the speed sensor wire that goes into the ECM but after it feeds into the speedometer so my speedometer would still work but the computer wouldn’t know how fast I was going and not be able to slow me down.

Thanks a bunch…
Old 05-15-2003, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on people... Someone must know...